The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2019, 01:29 PM

Default Micas (bajo sexto/quinto decor and pickguards) on an AG

I love the look of a bajo with fancy micas (ornamental pickguards) on them.

Anybody ever seen them on a standard acoustic guitar?

I'd love to get ahold of something with a sharp cutaway and gussy it up like a bajo.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:43 PM

I did own a bajo sexto for a while, and think it’s fair to describe it as being “pickguard-intensive.” I’ve never seen a standard acoustic guitar with those exact same pickguards, but there’s no technical reason why you couldn’t get them made and installed. In your position what I would do is run a Google search on “pickguard materials,” and do it en Español, as well. You’re going to need a sheet of the material, at least.

Because of the sheer size of bajo sexto pickguards, installing them is going to diminish the ability of the top to vibrate to its fullest extent. That’s a given. To minimize the resulting tonal impact, make certain that the pickguard material you end up buying is as thin as possible. The thicker the pickguard, the more tone it’s going to kill.

So pay attention to the thickness of the plastic when you order it, then when it arrives take the sheets of material and the guitar you want it on in to your friendly local guitar repair tech to get the pickguards fabricated and installed.

Good luck with this. Please come back and tell us how it all went once you get it on your guitar.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 07-09-2019 at 03:08 PM. Reason: corrected a typo
Old 07-09-2019, 03:05 PM

Here are some bajo sexto images I just grabbed online:

¡¡Muy Exuberante!!

Now, this being the Acoustic Guitar Forum, there will undoubtedly be some folks who'll come along to tell you that these micas will look SO MUCH BETTER if you decide to get them made in clear plastic!

Anyway, if you decide you want the pearloid look instead of straight black, you should be able to find some sheets of it. Have fun shopping for las micas de tus sueños!

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion