The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-13-2019, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Still love this Big Chill exchange between Kevin Kline and Jeff Goldblum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post

Michael (Jeff Goldblum): Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from this century?
Harold (Kevin Kline): There is no other music, not in my house.
Michael: There's been a lot of terrific music in the last ten years.
Harold: Like what?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-13-2019, 07:35 AM

"She loves you, yea, yea, yea"
"She loves you, yea, yea, yea"
"She loves you, yea, yea, yea, yea.

They just don't write 'em like that anymore.

All kidding aside, IMHO there were some glimmers of hope in the 1990s that popular music was going to make a comeback. It looks like someone put the brakes on that one. Now I look for Indy acts, and there's some great stuff out there from people who really have a story to tell.

We're just not going to find the good stuff on the radio anymore.

LEFTY
Martin Custom Shop 000-28
Taylor 312ce 12-fret
Crafter TA 080/AM
Old 10-13-2019, 09:59 AM

Just to clarify, my 2nd and 3rd response in this thread were to FrankMCR -- looks like the posts in question seem to have been deleted.

No, FrankHS - I don't think you're a hypocrite

My "hypocrite" was reserved for folks who love music from the 60's and 70's and who think everything written today is patently inferior. That's pot calling the kettle black, as they say. However, this statement does not imply that one couldn't love the music from the 60's and 70's and not enjoy or hate (or anywhere in between) the music popular now. I don't think anybody can rationally point a finger at someone for having a preference for a certain style of music. Generally, most folks tend to prefer the stuff they listened to when they were younger. Also, religion and worldview can affect outlook too. I can't imagine too many conservative/religious individuals would like the general hedonism and narcissism that permeates the airwaves today.

I recently stated listening through the Beatles discography. They were incredible and there were several famous songs that I recognized but did not know were written by the Beatles. But I felt like they were writing music at a roughly 30% success rate. Their good stuff is just off the charts incredible and will last forever - but to my ears, they also wrote mostly duds. The neat thing about that time period is that these bands were highly creative and charting new territory. I don't feel music has "evolved" much at all in the past 25 years. Different styles, yes - but evolution, no -- but I'm not an expert on this stuff and so, that may be incorrect.

The classical music vs everything else discussion is interesting. I think classical music lends itself to more complexity but modern/contemporary music is honestly more about the lyrics and the main hook. Everything tends to serve that aspect of the song.

------
And lastly, the narrow mindedness goes both ways. So much awesome music from previous generations that kids today will never be aware of. And for the record, I absolutely agree with the statement that most of the stuff topping the charts today is crap. There are some hilarious YouTube videos that discuss the lack of originality of most popular songs written today. But there are some truly wonderful songs that do make it up there and its a good way to find new artists. I am fan of Mumford and Sons and The National and a few others because of it.

Last edited by Simon Fay; 10-13-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I would suspect that a lot of old farts like myself cherish the music that we grew up with. It's not that we "hate" the music of the last couple of decades - we just haven't bothered to listen to it...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-13-2019, 10:17 AM

I agree RP. I live in New Smyrna Beach which has a ton of retirement age people and I grew up here. So I've always been around "older" people. My experience has been most people just display a preference. Why listen to stuff you don't enjoy?
Old 10-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I tend to listen to a moderate amount of "new to me" music, but not much of that is mainstream pop. I tried listening to some "today's hits" music on Pandora and really didn't think it was horrible, but was surprised at how much emphasis there apparently is on the size of people's "booties". Although I was a teen in the 80s, and grew up with the likes of Madonna and Culture Club, I have always gravitated more to what we now call "Americana" music (folk, bluegrass, etc.). Prine, Denver, Guy Clark, Jimmy Buffett, Gordon Lightfoot, etc. we're my favorites. I do like the music of Chris Stapleton and I think he is big in country right now.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I would suspect that a lot of old farts like myself cherish the music that we grew up with. It's not that we "hate" the music of the last couple of decades - we just haven't bothered to listen to it...
Yes, exactly. And I think that's a natural reaction to covet what we're familiar with (certainly more than the unknown). It takes a greater effort to find the quality music buried underneath the pop/country corporate system, but I guarantee the rewards are worth it.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
Just to clarify, my 2nd and 3rd response in this thread were to FrankMCR -- looks like the posts in question seem to have been deleted.

No, FrankHS - I don't think you're a hypocrite

My "hypocrite" was reserved for folks who love music from the 60's and 70's and who think everything written today is patently inferior. That's pot calling the kettle black, as they say. However, this statement does not imply that one couldn't love the music from the 60's and 70's and not enjoy or hate (or anywhere in between) the music popular now. I don't think anybody can rationally point a finger at someone for having a preference for a certain style of music. Generally, most folks tend to prefer the stuff they listened to when they were younger. Also, religion and worldview can affect outlook too. I can't imagine too many conservative/religious individuals would like the general hedonism and narcissism that permeates the airwaves today.

I recently stated listening through the Beatles discography. They were incredible and there were several famous songs that I recognized but did not know were written by the Beatles. But I felt like they were writing music at a roughly 30% success rate. Their good stuff is just off the charts incredible and will last forever - but to my ears, they also wrote mostly duds. The neat thing about that time period is that these bands were highly creative and charting new territory. I don't feel music has "evolved" much at all in the past 25 years. Different styles, yes - but evolution, no -- but I'm not an expert on this stuff and so, that may be incorrect.

The classical music vs everything else discussion is interesting. I think classical music lends itself to more complexity but modern/contemporary music is honestly more about the lyrics and the main hook. Everything tends to serve that aspect of the song.

------
And lastly, the narrow mindedness goes both ways. So much awesome music from previous generations that kids today will never be aware of. And for the record, I absolutely agree with the statement that most of the stuff topping the charts today is crap. There are some hilarious YouTube videos that discuss the lack of originality of most popular songs written today. But there are some truly wonderful songs that do make it up there and its a good way to find new artists. I am fan of Mumford and Sons and The National and a few others because of it.
It is quite frustrating to create a post that we THINK says one thing, but is not interpreted as we meant it. Then, we spend several posts trying (hopefully not in vain) to clarify what we originally said/meant to say.

I have been through that quite a bit in various forums myself, and can sympathize. In person-to-person conversation, what would be a passing comment or a thoughtful addition to a conversation, can be clarified in a few seconds if that is even required at all. In a forum, no such luck.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-14-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
There is an academic website that encourages children to pose questions that can be answered by experts of various fields (www.theconversation.com).

One of the recent questions posed was, "Why do old people hate new music?" It was answered by a psychologist.

I think members of this forum would find the response really interesting. https://theconversation.com/curious-...w-music-123834

Because it’s lame, shallow, meaningless, auto-tuned, soulless, repetitive, repetitive, loud, and no where as good as the music I listened to when I was young.
Only kidding, I love and listen to all types music.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:19 AM

Was at a wedding once and talked to an older lady in her 80's. They were playing some swing music while the newly weds did their fancy dance moves. I asked her about the music of her youth, and so Benny Goodman, etc were the ones she enjoyed. I asked her if her parents enjoyed them too, and she said, "they hated it!" and laughed. I guess every generation goes through that....
Old 10-15-2019, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

I'll react to the question before I read the article.

I'm 64 and most of the music that I listen to was written in the 21st century. Two of my current favorites are Molly Tuttle and Sunny War. I suppose one could argue that the music of these to artists is not new. They have certainly expanded the boundaries of the styles of music that they work in.

A friend's grand daughter introduced me to some K-Pop a few years back. I have added some EXO and TWICE to my playlist.

I'll be back after I read the answer.

Last edited by k_russell; 10-15-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 10-15-2019, 03:07 PM

I can honestly say i like todays music -well at least most of it -
The rhyming rap stuff -not really , but it seems it has merits
except when every other word starts with the letter F.
I actually like my moms music when i was kid ( God bless her )
especially stuff like " The Lion Sleeps Tonight " original version
and her Less Paul and Mary ford recordings " i have a cd of their greatest hits "
its fantastic -but then again i think most of the folks here would love that -
Les Paul was totally amazing .
Old 10-15-2019, 08:41 PM

Sorry, I don't hate new music. One of my biggest pleasures with our Apple Music family subscription is checking out the new music list generated every Friday.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

I don't understand where the date of when a song was created has a bearing on anything. Evidently it does to many of the posters here. Why is it a positive thing to like new music?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-16-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I don't understand where the date of when a song was created has a bearing on anything. Evidently it does to many of the posters here. Why is it a positive thing to like new music?
In my opinion, I completely agree that it doesn't matter what date a song was created. Based on your last sentence I would ask, why is it a negative to like new music? Why do so many assume that new = bad?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic