The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-01-2023, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Apparently, I'm An Uber Driver

This week, I received a 1099-NEC for a little over $2000 in claimed wages from Uber. I've only worked full-time and never driven for Uber (or any ride sharing company) and barely even used them as a customer. Looking online, this seems to be a known issue, where drivers use someone else's name and last four SSN to avoid paying taxes. I'm not sure how they got my info, but it's basically a form of identity theft.

Not surprisingly, Uber is completely unhelpful -- no number to reach a live person, and their customer support enters a circular reference, saying they cannot discuss details unless I log in with my driver account. Umm, hello...? I am not a driver with your company!

So frustrating b/c now I will have to go through the IRS directly to get this cleared up.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:30 PM

You don't live too far from their headquarters in San Francisco. How about driving over there and talk to them in person?
Old 02-02-2023, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure they have security to prevent non-employees from swinging by. Also, it really shouldn't require a 100 mile drive to get them to address and help resolve this issue.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

That’s identity theft. You need to report it, and them, because obviously they are not validating their contractor identities and are cultivating a climate for tax fraud. I know you say it’s common, but you need to report it because someone has your SSN number and is using it fraudulently.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
That’s identity theft. You need to report it, and them, because obviously they are not validating their contractor identities and are cultivating a climate for tax fraud. I know you say it’s common, but you need to report it because someone has your SSN number and is using it fraudulently.
Very, very likely. Report it to IRS immediately. And if you haven’t already, make sure that access to your credit information is frozen (Experian, Transunion and Equifax). Keep a very close eye on all financial accounts and make sure that you have a dual verification on each (Ie. Phone verification). Start a file with this document and all of your communications in case things blow up.

Been there. And the first instance started with someone filing for an income tax refund using my information. This happened two years in a row and the IRS took care of it internally (two thumbs up for the IRS).

The second instance of identity theft was likely from an AT&T cell phone account where they used to require SSNs for verification. The theft resulted in multiple attempts to open up credit cards at a different address. This is why a credit freeze is so important - it stops the process dead unless the criminal can unlock access (which you have the password to). And a freeze in no way inhibits your use of your cards, but it does prevent new cards, loans etc. from being opened.

Note that services like LifeLock notify you after the breach. Only freezing your credit access prevents the breach - and it is free (finally).

There’s a lot more expertise in dealing with identity theft these days, so these simple steps will hopefully be enough.

Last edited by srick; 02-02-2023 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I'm sure they have security to prevent non-employees from swinging by. Also, it really shouldn't require a 100 mile drive to get them to address and help resolve this issue.
But ya gotta admit, it'd be more fun to smack their security around a little, and make a stink in person...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-02-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Again, let IRS handle this one.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I had a run in with Uber a few years ago.

If you Google their track record they have confirmed cases of trying to pay off hackers and not doing the right things for cyber security.

I refuse to do any more business with them after my run in and only use Lyft. Won't help in the OPs case of course.

In my case there were 5-6k in charges racked up on my Uber account in 1 day across something like 100 different rides. I couldn't possibly see how they wouldn't have a flag for that.

At any rate I contacted their fraud department and had absolutely no response .

My bank on the other hand was great and dealt with the mess and cleared it up for me no issues.

Unfortunately for the OP it means their SSID has been breached as others are saying on the identity theft.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
But ya gotta admit, it'd be more fun to smack their security around a little, and make a stink in person...

My experience a few years ago is their security / fraud department literally did nothing and didn't respond. Don't expect much satisfaction there. Also as I post above Uber has a documented horrible track record on cyber security and dubious practices regarding identity and other areas. I encourage others to take their business elsewhere.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Agreed. If you don't report it to the authorities it didn't happen. The sooner the better. Eventually someone is going to ask, did you file a complaint with the authorities, and when you say no, they will say that is the first step. So then you get to explain to the authorities why it took you three month to report it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-02-2023, 10:12 AM
Musical minimalist

The more I hear this kind of thing, the more I want to disconnect from the internet.

Can't wait until I'm retired when it will be an option.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
My experience a few years ago is their security / fraud department literally did nothing and didn't respond. Don't expect much satisfaction there. Also as I post above Uber has a documented horrible track record on cyber security and dubious practices regarding identity and other areas. I encourage others to take their business elsewhere.
It may not be easy but filing a police report and reporting this through the FTC crimes unit will get Uber’s attention. If it turns out the fraud goes further than just using his ID for Uber wages, then he’s at least started the process.

It’s against the law to ignore these reports and you should have escalated your issue to the local police and to the FTC. If they are not operating within Federal guidelines they should be shut down until they get their act together.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/topi...identity-theft
Old 02-02-2023, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It may not be easy but filing a police report and reporting this through the FTC crimes unit will get Uber’s attention. If it turns out the fraud goes further than just using his ID for Uber wages, then he’s at least started the process.

It’s against the law to ignore these reports and you should have escalated your issue to the local police and to the FTC. If they are not operating within Federal guidelines they should be shut down until they get their act together.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/topi...identity-theft
If you do a Google you will note that Uber has been repeatedly called out and having legal issues around this. As I said, they are clearly not a company to do business with. Their CIFO was fired as a scape goat etc. You can clearly see from the info out there they have a pretty strong track record of skirting / ignoring laws and unethical behavior across many departments within the company. You will also see that the relevant government agencies are pretty clearly already aware of these issues.

Last edited by Aspiring; 02-02-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

But he wasn’t doing business with them. He was dragged into this by someone who accessed his personal info. He has no choice now but to clean up their mess as it relates to his identity and tax history.

Believe me I am well aware of how sleezy Uber is, but it’s not an excuse to just let them off the hook for their lack of ethics and following the law in terms of verifying employee and contractor identities.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But he wasn’t doing business with them. He was dragged into this by someone who accessed his personal info. He has no choice now but to clean up their mess as it relates to his identity and tax history.

Believe me I am well aware of how sleezy Uber is, but it’s not an excuse to just let them off the hook for their lack of ethics and following the law in terms of verifying employee and contractor identities.
Not sticking up for Uber here, I only use Uber and I don't know how they conduct the business end of it, but Uber didn't steal the OP's identity. They could claim victim status in this situation as well.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic