The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-01-2023, 11:20 AM

That was a smart move. He set the bar as high as he could and beat the odds over and over, if you have followed his career from collage. Give Tom a chance and he always made good on it. He has been a true class act. Thanks TB
Old 02-01-2023, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

As a Giants fan surrounded by Patriots fans I have loved to hate Brady for a long time. If I run into one more dog named Brady I'm gonna puke

Made those Super Bowls vs. NY even sweeter

He was far from being the most gifted passer or dynamic QB. He was a master at taking what the defense gives, and not making unforced errors (most of the time). A great manager of the game, always thinking a few plays or possessions ahead. I'm not sure he would have been an elite player with some lessor organizations, but you've got to give him his due, the numbers speak for themselves.

I'm glad he is going with his body and brain apparently intact.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Mike Francesca and Mad Dog Russo are having a bit of a reunion on Stephen A’s First Take show this morning and, of course, Brady is topic A. And Francesca made an observation I found really interesting. If you use Super Bowls and longevity as your primary criteria, there’s no question Brady was the best ever. I’ve been sick of the guy for several years now, but even I certainly concede that. And Francesca didn’t dispute that at all. But he did say he thought that Peyton Manning was the best regular season QB he’d ever seen (but not much of a post season QB), Montana was by far the best Super Bowl QB he’d ever seen (and he had the numbers to back it up, which I’d been unaware of - Montana never lost a Super Bowl and his QB ratings in Super Bowls were way higher than Brady’s), and Aaron Rodgers is the most purely talented QB he’s ever seen, with Mahomes possibly emerging as his equal in that respect. So he didn’t think Brady was the greatest in any of those specific categories, but due to his longevity and the overwhelming number of Super Bowls he reached and won, he clearly had to be considered the greatest overall QB of all time. Although everyone noted that Otto Graham won 10 NFL titles in the pre Super Bowl era. I’ve never liked basing the GOAT designation just in Super Bowls because there’s so much that goes into winning a Supe beyond just the QB. But breaking it down with the specificity he did I thought made a lot of sense.
-Ray
It makes for good talking points, but I bet any of these players, given the chance, would trade their exploits and careers for Brady's in a heartbeat.

One of Brady's main assets, which rarely gets a mention in these talk radio shows, has always been his ability to lead behind the scenes, not just on the field, and draw the best from his teammates. Getting less money to secure better players, showing up for practice every day on time like the 2nd stringer from the practice squad, never panicking under the most intense of pressure and getting the job done. (They won a LOT of very close end of season/playoff games in his tenure). Those are all intangibles that contributed to his success, perhaps more than he's given credit for when compared to other greats.

As for Graham, there is no denying the statistical feat. Obviously, he belongs in the discussion. But that was such a different era. The magnitude and scale of the game has been amped and has changed so much. It makes it difficult to compare. The advent of the SB is a better place to set that particular time clock for comparison purposes in my view.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-01-2023, 01:29 PM

As a fan....glad to see him bow out at this time. Some of these young guys coming up are phenomenal in their own right and we'll just have see how their careers play out. His retirement offers us a fixed view of his achievements that will stand the test of time and history. And, not compete with the current crop of incredible guys, Mahomes and Burrow among them who will now take the stage in the years to come. I would not want to try and compare them with 20-25 years difference in age.
Among the special attributes Brady brought was his knowledge of every players assignments on the field. He knew it all......and I think this brought him much success in bringing his teammates onward and making up for not being a good scrambler. I think his "football brain" was as good or better than his arm!
Now, just wondering if he'll show up in the Fox booth at the Super Bowl and say "hi" and informally bring in the next chapter. I would think...maybe?
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Last edited by islandguitar; 02-01-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:51 PM

After seeing him play for over 20 years, about 18 of those with my team of choice I won’t hide I’m a huge fan. I’m sad to not see him play again, but I understand he played for way longer anyone expected him to.

I keep reading comments that mirrors many comments from social media right here. Is he the GOAT or not, did he overstay his welcome are retired well after he should’ve. Here’s my take on those. Is he the GOAT? At this time, I think whoever still debates this is delusional, or just a hater. Super Bowl wins alone puts this argument to rest. But we can also add most conference wins, most passing yards, TD passes, and all those other records that will probably remain unbroken for many decades. The quarterback is more than just the guy that passes the ball. Brady was never the most athletic, or explosive player with the greatest arm. He knew this, so he designed a winning formula that worked around those obvious weaknesses. The guy just knew how to win, he knew how to motivate his team to win, he never took a giant salary because he understood it takes more than him to win. THAT’S what makes him the GOAT. his discipline, his drive, and his leadership skills, his understanding of that line pre-snap.

Did he overstay his welcome? People have very short memories. One bad season after winning the Super Bowl 2 years ago with a new team, and having a 13-4 record and a playoff win the previous season, and people can’t shut up about how he was done, even after the playoffs last season. What happened this season? New head coach, and his marital problems obviously messed his head. But I do think him and Bowles just didn’t work. You could tell it wasn’t just Brady who was off this season, the whole team was.

Thank you for those two decades of greatness TB12, you will be missed by many. Now time to chill, build your TB12 brand, and teach others how to win. I really hope he takes a job coaching quarterbacks. Mahomes already listening to him.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

I am not a Tom Brady fan at all, but he has always been amazing and certainly the GOAT is appropriate for him.
Of course it seems he should have gone out on top, but what about the drive that has made him the GOAT? It would probably be out of character for him to have an amazing season, win the Super Bowl and then just cash it in. All that just gets him going. So, this exit makes sense, the unfortunate reality that his time has to come to an end. He played a long time at an exceptional level. He deserves our respect for that and for trying that one last time, because he wouldn’t be who he is if he didn’t.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
It makes for good talking points, but I bet any of these players, given the chance, would trade their exploits and careers for Brady's in a heartbeat.

One of Brady's main assets, which rarely gets a mention in these talk radio shows, has always been his ability to lead behind the scenes, not just on the field, and draw the best from his teammates. Getting less money to secure better players, showing up for practice every day on time like the 2nd stringer from the practice squad, never panicking under the most intense of pressure and getting the job done. (They won a LOT of very close end of season/playoff games in his tenure). Those are all intangibles that contributed to his success, perhaps more than he's given credit for when compared to other greats.

As for Graham, there is no denying the statistical feat. Obviously, he belongs in the discussion. But that was such a different era. The magnitude and scale of the game has been amped and has changed so much. It makes it difficult to compare. The advent of the SB is a better place to set that particular time clock for comparison purposes in my view.
I wouldn’t argue with any of that. And I don’t think Francesca would either. He was clear that he thinks Brady was the greatest overall QB of all time. But in a way he made a stronger case by acknowledging the specific areas where others were greater. He also went outside of the sport to say he thought Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods were the two greatest competitors he’d ever seen in any sport, and that Brady was right there with them.

I’ve been called a hater around here more than once, but I don’t (and didn’t) hate the guy. I just got sick of seeing he and the Patriots be the focus of EVERYTHING in the NFL for SOOOO LOOOOONG - I’ve been ready for him to take his exit for 6-7 years now just to make the NFL more interesting. I was a fan when they won their first couple of Super Bowls early on, but once they reached a certain level of dominance, I, like most folks who weren’t Pats fans specifically, tended to root for the underdog, which is human nature I think.

So, maybe, hopefully, he’s really done with it this time. I wish him the best, I acknowledge his greatness, I don’t question or begrudge his success. I doubt anyone else will have the perfect combination of coach and QB and organization to win SEVEN Super Bowls, but I’d like to see Mahomes get a few more (just not THIS year!), see how good a guy like Burrow or Lawrence can be, see what Justin Herbert turns into (God, what an ARM!!!), see if one of the running QBs like Hurts, Allen, Jackson can win a couple of titles. And I promise, if anyone comes even remotely close to Brady’s level of consistent dominance, I’ll be sick of them too. Unless it’s for MY TEAM, but considering my wife and I are about to move to a state with only ONE big league sports franchise (the Blazers - maybe a soccer team too???), that’s beyond unlikely… I’ll be a Philly fan for a few more years but that’ll fade as the teams change over time…

-Ray
Old 02-01-2023, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Shame he lost his wife over coming back for 1 mediocre season.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
I am not a Tom Brady fan at all, but he has always been amazing and certainly the GOAT is appropriate for him.
Of course it seems he should have gone out on top, but what about the drive that has made him the GOAT? It would probably be out of character for him to have an amazing season, win the Super Bowl and then just cash it in. All that just gets him going. So, this exit makes sense, the unfortunate reality that his time has to come to an end. He played a long time at an exceptional level. He deserves our respect for that and for trying that one last time, because he wouldn’t be who he is if he didn’t.

It’s ridiculous how many people say this season has ruined his legacy, that he should’ve retired when he won his last Super Bowl like Peyton Manning did. Really? Do people even remember that Joe Montana retired as a Chief? Or is he remembered for his legacy as a 49r?
Old 02-01-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
It’s ridiculous how many people say this season has ruined his legacy, that he should’ve retired when he won his last Super Bowl like Peyton Manning did. Really? Do people even remember that Joe Montana retired as a Chief? Or is he remembered for his legacy as a 49r?
Most people outside of the boomer curmudgeons barely remember Joe Montana at all let alone his legacy.
We live in a world where most people don’t remember who won the Super Bowl last year.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-01-2023, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Shame he lost his wife over coming back for 1 mediocre season.

How can anyone believe that the reason they got divorced is because he played for one more season? Blows me away. Their problems ran deeper than that. The only people that made a lot of noise about their divorce was the media. They parted very civilized, no Hollywood style nasty divorce. Giselle is back modeling, and Tom has a new girlfriend that’s not even 30. I’d put money into both being happier people right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I wouldn’t argue with any of that. And I don’t think Francesca would either. He was clear that he thinks Brady was the greatest overall QB of all time. But in a way he made a stronger case by acknowledging the specific areas where others were greater. He also went outside of the sport to say he thought Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods were the two greatest competitors he’d ever seen in any sport, and that Brady was right there with them.

I’ve been called a hater around here more than once, but I don’t (and didn’t) hate the guy. I just got sick of seeing he and the Patriots be the focus of EVERYTHING in the NFL for SOOOO LOOOOONG - I’ve been ready for him to take his exit for 6-7 years now just to make the NFL more interesting. I was a fan when they won their first couple of Super Bowls early on, but once they reached a certain level of dominance, I, like most folks who weren’t Pats fans specifically, tended to root for the underdog, which is human nature I think.

So, maybe, hopefully, he’s really done with it this time. I wish him the best, I acknowledge his greatness, I don’t question or begrudge his success. I doubt anyone else will have the perfect combination of coach and QB and organization to win SEVEN Super Bowls, but I’d like to see Mahomes get a few more (just not THIS year!), see how good a guy like Burrow or Lawrence can be, see what Justin Herbert turns into (God, what an ARM!!!), see if one of the running QBs like Hurts, Allen, Jackson can win a couple of titles. And I promise, if anyone comes even remotely close to Brady’s level of consistent dominance, I’ll be sick of them too. Unless it’s for MY TEAM, but considering my wife and I are about to move to a state with only ONE big league sports franchise (the Blazers - maybe a soccer team too???), that’s beyond unlikely… I’ll be a Philly fan for a few more years but that’ll fade as the teams change over time…

-Ray

Read the article and it’s a crock of crap. It’s basically making up reasons why he’s not the greatest. Joe Montana won the four super bowls he attended. So if there’s a stat that Joe Montana is better than Brady is his perfect Super Bowl record. Tom Brady beats him in everything else. Peyton Manning? Yeah he was great too, and currently has the most MVP trophies. But to make a case about him being the best regular season quarterback, is as meaningful as saying Danika Patrick is the greatest woman Indi racer of all time. Regular season gets you into the playoffs, and then the real season begins. Did the Patriots going into the Super Bowl at 16-0 vs a 10-6 Giants matter? You think Brady and Belichick fondly remember that “perfect” season? I bet they don’t, because winning the Super Bowl is all that matters.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
How can anyone believe that the reason they got divorced is because he played for one more season? Blows me away. Their problems ran deeper than that. The only people that made a lot of noise about their divorce was the media. They parted very civilized, no Hollywood style nasty divorce. Giselle is back modeling, and Tom has a new girlfriend that’s not even 30. I’d put money into both being happier people right now. .
Probably because it was widely reported that she was unhappy about the decision, and because he left training camp to try and salvage things. Obviously any divorce is going to be more complicated than a single issue. But it seems that was the issue that out the final touches on it. Who knows what goes on between couples, but the timing and Brady’s actions map to what was reported.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:48 PM

QUOTE=1neeto;7181606]After seeing him play for over 20 years, about 18 of those with my team of choice I won’t hide I’m a huge fan. I’m sad to not see him play again, but I understand he played for way longer anyone expected him to.

I keep reading comments that mirrors many comments from social media right here. Is he the GOAT or not, did he overstay his welcome are retired well after he should’ve. Here’s my take on those. Is he the GOAT? [At this time, I think whoever still debates this is delusional, or just a hater. Super Bowl wins alone puts this argument to rest. But we can also add most conference wins, most passing yards, TD passes, and all those other records that will probably remain unbroken for many decades. The quarterback is more than just the guy that passes the ball. Brady was never the most athletic, or explosive player with the greatest arm. He knew this, so he designed a winning formula that worked around those obvious weaknesses. The guy just knew how to win, he knew how to motivate his team to win, he never took a giant salary because he understood it takes more than him to win. THAT’S what makes him the GOAT. his discipline, his drive, and his leadership skills, his understanding of that line pre-snap.

Did he overstay his welcome? People have very short memories. One bad season after winning the Super Bowl 2 years ago with a new team, and having a 13-4 record and a playoff win the previous season, and people can’t shut up about how he was done, even after the playoffs last season. What happened this season? New head coach, and his marital problems obviously messed his head. But I do think him and Bowles just didn’t work. You could tell it wasn’t just Brady who was off this season, the whole team was.

Thank you for those two decades of greatness TB12, you will be missed by many. Now time to chill, build your TB12 brand, and teach others how to win. I really hope he takes a job coaching quarterbacks. Mahomes already listening to him.[/QUOTE]

Some people think it is folly to spend a lot of time debating about who is the GOAT when we are talking about a team sport. There are so many factors that can elevate an individual’s achievements, including coaches, teammates, the quality of the competition, the match between the offensive scheme and the talents of the individual, etc. etc. would Brady have achieved much if he had been on the Lions as Matthew Stafford was? What kind of playoff record would Brady have had if he had been on Elway’s Broncos?

So neither a hater nor delusional. Just reject the usefulness of the concept, and the pointlessness of the debate.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
QUOTE=1neeto;7181606]After seeing him play for over 20 years, about 18 of those with my team of choice I won’t hide I’m a huge fan. I’m sad to not see him play again, but I understand he played for way longer anyone expected him to.

I keep reading comments that mirrors many comments from social media right here. Is he the GOAT or not, did he overstay his welcome are retired well after he should’ve. Here’s my take on those. Is he the GOAT? [At this time, I think whoever still debates this is delusional, or just a hater. Super Bowl wins alone puts this argument to rest. But we can also add most conference wins, most passing yards, TD passes, and all those other records that will probably remain unbroken for many decades. The quarterback is more than just the guy that passes the ball. Brady was never the most athletic, or explosive player with the greatest arm. He knew this, so he designed a winning formula that worked around those obvious weaknesses. The guy just knew how to win, he knew how to motivate his team to win, he never took a giant salary because he understood it takes more than him to win. THAT’S what makes him the GOAT. his discipline, his drive, and his leadership skills, his understanding of that line pre-snap.

Thank you for those two decades of greatness TB12, you will be missed by many. Now time to chill, build your TB12 brand, and teach others how to win. I really hope he takes a job coaching quarterbacks. Mahomes already listening to him.
Some people think it is folly to spend a lot of time debating about who is the GOAT when we are talking about a team sport. There are so many factors that can elevate an individual’s achievements, including coaches, teammates, the quality of the competition, the match between the offensive scheme and the talents of the individual, etc. etc. would Brady have achieved much if he had been on the Lions as Matthew Stafford was? What kind of playoff record would Brady have had if he had been on Elway’s Broncos?

So neither a hater nor delusional. Just reject the usefulness of the concept, and the pointlessness of the debate.[/QUOTE]

The what ifs is what makes the debate pointless. If you stick to the facts and numbers, there’s zero doubt TB12 is the greatest. But once you start adding the what ifs, it becomes pointless.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

The fans quickly forgive and forget. He will be well remembered and his extra year will hardly be an issue in the future

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic