The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-28-2023, 08:39 AM

Default Emerald X7 - Need some advice

I am considering acquiring one in excellent condition with the quilted black finish. I have minimal experience with CF guitars, and I am wondering what to expect and then also a range of resale in case I don't bond with it.

I do like what I see and hear in demo videos but would like some hands on advice! Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!
Old 01-28-2023, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Hi Mantal-

It depends on what you are expecting. It will likely sound different from any wood guitars you have. Some people think that's a negative. I find it to be a positive.

I also have a CF Journey OF660, which sounds completely different from my Emerald. Just as in the wood world, CF guitars from different manufacturers will sound different, and it comes down to personal preference.

I have an X-20. The first thing I notice when I pick it up is how comfortable it is because of the careful design considerations Emerald makes. The sound is unlike any of my other guitars, which is what I was looking for. The X-20 has a deep rich sound. I'd say not as well articulated as some of my wood guitars, but certainly not muddy. I'm sure others will chime in about the X-7.

And of course there is the advantage of not having to worry about humidity and temperature.

As far as resale goes, I kept track of selling prices (mostly on the AGF) of used Emerald's when I was first looking at them. Like most guitars, the used ones go for around 80%±5% of the new price, though that can be lower or higher depending on if the guitar has options that most people want, or don't. It sounds like you are buying used, so you probably won't take a financial hit on it if you decide it doesn't fit.

Have you looked through this thread to see if there are any X-7s near you that you could check out?
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=646425

Last edited by KevinH; 01-28-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

The X7 is one of my favorite guitars. It keeps up surprising well with the bigger X20. I also have several nice wood guitars. I like the size and 24" scale on the X7. As far as tone, I will admit I am biased - I like the tone of all 3 of my carbon fiber guitars. They each sound different from the others, but all have great tone and projection.

What surprised me with the X7 was the full sound and rich bass; I did not expect that on this smaller guitar. It wasn't like I was expecting it to sound "small," but it is the smallest acoustic guitar I have. I bought it as a "travel" guitar, but it gets plenty of playing time when we're home. With the bevels and size, it is the most comfortable acoustic I own, as well.

I don't want to build up your expectations, so I will temper this with: the guitar I had before the X7 (as a travel guitar) was a Taylor GSmini. I also think the Mini is a decent guitar and sounds better than the size might have you believe. The X7 is significantly bigger and richer sounding.

Ultimately, it sounds like... a guitar. A nice guitar. The only way to know if it will please your ears and hands is to give it a try. After trying an ergonomically designed guitar like the X7, you may find "old fashioned" wood guitars with their hard edges are far less comfortable to play. Carbon fiber gives the builder/designer more options with shaping, if they care to take advantage of that.

Good luck with the decision.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

I'll be the bad guy just to give you a different opinion and observation. I owned a 2nd version and a 3rd version of the X7, both are comfortable and they are beautiful. I think the V2 more so than the V3. I didn't bond with them at all, the V3 felt weird to me with the bigger body and short scale neck, it just didn't sit on my knee right. The tone was meh at best for me. I found other CF guitars I liked better, I guess that's why they make a lot of different ones. This is my experience and others have a very positive experience with them, I think the point to take away is that if you DON'T like the X7 you try, don't give up on trying other CF guitars. McPherson is my favorites and the Rainsongs are nice too. I hope the X7 works for you !
Old 01-30-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantal View Post
I am considering acquiring one in excellent condition with the quilted black finish. I have minimal experience with CF guitars, and I am wondering what to expect and then also a range of resale in case I don't bond with it.
Another satisfied X7 owner...but I went into it knowing that I wanted a small bodied guitar with short scale, and had a custom wider nut added to the order. My journey to X7 went through GS Mini (which taught me that I liked the smaller guitars and the shorter scale) and a Cargo, which I could compare side-by-side to the Mini and it won easily. I still have the Cargo, so can compare it to X7 and the X7 is superior in every way, though I still like the wee Cargo, too. It certainly punches above its weight, but it is still a small guitar and can't necessarily compete in tone or volume to a big dread. BTW, the workmanship on the X7 is simply outstanding.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

My X7 gets played a lot. If you were closer to Texas, I'd let you try it out. Plays well, sounds good, and lives in the open without fear.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I find the X7 to be a superbly constructed and great sounding guitar. The size is a plus.

And the player-facing sound hole is a treat for your ears if you have not yet played an Emerald.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

I'm in Southern Indiana - probably about 4 hours away from you. I have an X7, an X712 and an X10 slim - I would be more than happy to let you play them if you wanted to make the drive down at some point. Just send me a PM
Emerald X10 Slim
Emerald X12
Northfield Big Mon
PRS S2 McCarty Slimline
PRS JA-15
Collings I30 LC
Old 02-02-2023, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

I'm very new to carbon fiber having played traditional guitars for over fifty years. My first CF guitar was an Emerald Amicus in the Fall of 2022 and I was very pleased. My next CF instrument was a Rainsong CO-WS and it has now become my main instrument. Can't say enough good about it. I'm now experimenting with strings and that has been really interesting. Last Sunday I answered an ad here on AGF and found an X7 (V2) in my town. I was interested mainly in the short scale and my new found respect for CF guitars. The X7 has proven to be a really fine guitar. IMO more "wood" sounding than my Rainsong and just a pleasure to play. As others in this forum have written these Emeralds are beautifully constructed and rugged as can be. Leave them out in a stand and forget about climate and humidity issues. In terms of resale if you don't bond with your X7 I think resale will be painless and having bought and sold instruments on AGF I would highly recommend listing it here.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I'll be the bad guy just to give you a different opinion and observation. I owned a 2nd version and a 3rd version of the X7, both are comfortable and they are beautiful. I think the V2 more so than the V3. I didn't bond with them at all, the V3 felt weird to me with the bigger body and short scale neck, it just didn't sit on my knee right. The tone was meh at best for me. I found other CF guitars I liked better, I guess that's why they make a lot of different ones. This is my experience and others have a very positive experience with them, I think the point to take away is that if you DON'T like the X7 you try, don't give up on trying other CF guitars. McPherson is my favorites and the Rainsongs are nice too. I hope the X7 works for you !

I have a an early 2012 model, back when it was called the X7-OS, with the narrow body. I love the small body and short scale, but it does not (duh!) sound anywhere near as good as my CA GX (which to me does sound like a "real" guitar). I'm sure the newer X7s have a more full sound, but I've always felt something was lost in not having a more compact parlor size, something that was small enough to make the less full sound worth the trade off.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:34 PM

You will have no issues selling the x-7. I have a green x-7 (v2) and probably will never sell it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber