The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-28-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I've been recorded in many forms for many decades. It's been "normal" for many, many years.
I would be surprised if I did a performance that WASN'T recorded, to be honest.
Yeah, but you're good.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-28-2023, 11:39 AM

Professionals are very careful to get releases signed for this kind of stuff, but I think with the proliferation of iphones and streaming, it is Katy bar the door...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 01-28-2023, 02:20 PM

Default Facing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
my state's law, and found this:

"In Colorado, privacy laws prohibit anyone from visually recording another without consent in situations where the person has a reasonable expectation of privacy. (See §18-7-801, C.R.S.)"

I don't think I can claim a "reasonable expectation of privacy" playing in a venue open to the public where anyone can come in and watch.
What if I (in Colorado) were to directly ask the room, "Please do not record me, I came to share with you, not your phone." Wouldn't that kill a happy open mic vibe? It would at least make me more nervous to have said it, and that after having diplomatically omitted: "Because I'm the one who practiced this for hundreds of hours, not you, and your phone audio sucks, and I'm going to choke by my standards anyhow. It isn't right for you to bootleg record whomever you want."

Last edited by FrankHS; 01-28-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 04:36 PM

I have no interest in seeing myself on a vid, but if someone films it, so be it. I can’t stop them from posting, and I would never ask them to not film. And if I did, they don’t have to comply. I’d never bum out the room before I played a note - that’s just dumb unless you’re a pro, and in that case you let the house make the request.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

I've stumbled over partial YouTubes of my various bar bands onstage over the years. Sadly, the audio/video quality was always sorely lacking, or they were awful songs that I had lobbied hard to toss from the set list - but to no avail (one of the downsides of joining an established pop band with a legacy set-list firmly stuck in concrete).

Finally, I found a clear recording of my last band performing Them Changes. We always had a nice full dance floor for that one, and we stretched the middle out to introduce each player with our best solos. Tuned down a half step, my Strat with heavy strings sounded absolutely beefy on an overwound neck single coil. So, there I was, exactly one measure into my favorite 30-second lead break (the one I'd been waiting all night to uncork), when the drunk singer started blabbering about some silly nonsense, staggered a few feet away, pulled a cell phone out of his pocket to check his calls (I guess), and then missed all remaining cues for the rest of the night.

That, combined with some other humiliating on-stage incidents, led to his firing - from his own band - using the video as Exhibit A.

The happy ending is that he finally went to AA, worked the program, got his life back together and re-formed another band with the same name. Also on a good note, I believe all those bad/mediocre videos have since been replaced/removed.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-03-2023 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Mrs. EZ has tried to video me rehearsing. I was not happy about that at all. I'm trying to work out my rendition of whatever I'm doing.

I have no problem with people watching my rehearsals. But don't try to record video or audio of it.

When it comes to performing in front of a crowd. All bets are off.

Do what you will. I will not perform songs at a gig, that I deem not ready. "Unless liquor is involved."

If someone records and posts that. I'll just hang my head in shame.

You know, where most of us come from. Didn't use to be, cell phones and tablets.

I know what I did. (most of the time)

Some of it I'm proud of, some not so much. The only people who got to see it, are those who were there.

Maybe a good thing.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
... I’d never bum out the room before I played a note - that’s just dumb...
No, I was dumb to play an open mic in 2023.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic