The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 12-25-2020, 08:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Excellent choice! Congrats, Tom!
Thanks Larry and Tom.

Has anyone received their package in the mail yet? It seems like the mail is running WAAAAAY behind.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:17 PM

I got mine from the first round of shipments. Relatively quickly with the way mail has been. Received it a few days ago.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:15 PM

Received my McKnight's Fretboard Revival kit in today's mail. Ordered on Dec. 15th. Thank you.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the heads up guys. Please let me know how you like it. Directions say to let it penetrate 2 hours but if you are not in a big hurry let it soak in overnight, if you can, for maximum penetration.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Seems there is some confusion about how to use the product so here is a brief outline of the steps for proper use:

First, remove all the strings.
Clean FB and bridge surfaces with 0000 steel wool rubbing with the grain direction. (Its OK to rub the steel wool over the top of the frets.)
Vacuum all surfaces and surrounding areas.
Liberally apply conditioner and allow to penetrate and soak in. The longer the better.
After you have allowed the product to penetrate sufficiently, buff all surfaces with clean soft cotton cloth. Todd suggested using an old sock turned inside out.
Install strings and enjoy.

Product can be re-applied after each string change if you think its needed?

*** NOTE *** The steel wool will generate some abrasive dust and it WILL scratch finished surfaces so please be careful. I suggest using a vacuum to remove all trace amounts of the steel wool dust prior to applying the conditioner. Do not wipe the dust off or you could scratch the finish.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post

Great name BTW but it may be too close to an existing product name of “Fret Butter”. Our products natural color is a dead ringer for butter but I can assure you that it is not butter and may not be your best choice for your bagel in the morning.
I Can't Believe It's Not Fret Butter! ;-)))

I've been using the same bottle of lemon oil from the late 70s. Doesn't take much.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:20 PM

Got it, used it, love it! Hands down the best fretboard conditioner I've ever used, and I've used a ton! Thanks Tim et al!
2011 Charis Dread, Kronbauer TDK #50, Kronbauer TDK #248, 2004 Taylor 810 CE-L7, 1995 Bourgeois Slope D, 1993 Martin J 18, 1969 Martin D 12-20, 1966 Japanese 'Kiso' Dread, 2007 W E Moll L1 Proto.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberry View Post
Got it, used it, love it! Hands down the best fretboard conditioner I've ever used, and I've used a ton! Thanks Tim et al!
Glad it finally arrived via "Pony Express". Thank you for the glowing review!
Old 01-26-2021, 05:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

My product naming “reward” kit arrived in the mail yesterday. Thanks Tim! I have a particular older guitar I want to try the balm on next string change. Based on Todd’s experience, I’m sure it’s going to nicely revive the fretboard. I’ll post about it when I get to it.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
My product naming “reward” kit arrived in the mail yesterday. Thanks Tim! I have a particular older guitar I want to try the balm on next string change. Based on Todd’s experience, I’m sure it’s going to nicely revive the fretboard. I’ll post about it when I get to it.
Thanks for letting me know it arrived Tom. We look forward to reading your review of the product when the opportunity presents. Thanks again!
Old 02-14-2021, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Smile Steel wool potential problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Seems there is some confusion about how to use the product so here is a brief outline of the steps for proper use:

First, remove all the strings.
Clean FB and bridge surfaces with 0000 steel wool rubbing with the grain direction. (Its OK to rub the steel wool over the top of the frets.)
Vacuum all surfaces and surrounding areas.
Liberally apply conditioner and allow to penetrate and soak in. The longer the better.
After you have allowed the product to penetrate sufficiently, buff all surfaces with clean soft cotton cloth. Todd suggested using an old sock turned inside out.
Install strings and enjoy.

Product can be re-applied after each string change if you think its needed?

*** NOTE *** The steel wool will generate some abrasive dust and it WILL scratch finished surfaces so please be careful. I suggest using a vacuum to remove all trace amounts of the steel wool dust prior to applying the conditioner. Do not wipe the dust off or you could scratch the finish.
THIS STUFF SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT PRODUCT,
And, If your instrument has a magnetic pickup be VERY careful about steel wool dust residue. It can be attracted to the pup. Not good.
I was warned about this with the older Taylor ES 1 pups. The early ones have a mag pup inside the neck under the Fretboard at about the 14th fret.
I just use the scruffy side of a 3m dish sponge in the same manner. And it seems to do the trick just fine.
I will be ordering a tin! Thanks for the demo, Todd!!!
Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-15-2021, 03:40 PM

I was finally able to find time to a) be with my guitars and b) change some strings! We are snowed in here in Texas so what better to do?

The product came with very easy to follow directions for sure. I tried in on a 2010 built guitar which I know has had no fret board treatment for the last 3 years since I have owned it. It has been stored in a humidity controlled display case at 45-50% humidity though.

The steel wool really cleaned a lot of the major junk from the fretboard. I removed the residue of the steel wool. After all was clean, I applied the balm with the supplied applicator and put it on liberally. I let it sit for 3 hours and then used a microfiber cloth to polish and wipe off any excess on both the fretboard and the bridge. The ebony looks brand new and darkened beautifully. If the wood could talk to me, I am pretty sure it would have thanked me for a well deserved day at the spa!

I will be using this on all my guitars for all future string changes.

Thank you Tim for coming up with a great conditioner and overall great product.

TomB'sox

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-15-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Tom,

Thanks again for giving our product a try.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:40 PM

24 hour update. I don't know if this will be unexpected or of value, but 24 hours later the fretboard and bridge look the same after the application yesterday. Still dark, no drying out, feels smooth as silk and looks great.

Did not help my playing however, which would have been a nice perk.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-16-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Pm with address sent and payment sent. Thx, Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace