The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-03-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrep View Post
My understanding is that stainless steel frets causes issues with the plek machine and that that is why McPherson stopped using SS early on the touring (Travel). I think I read it here on the forum.
Other companies can plek stainless steel frets, so I wonder why McPherson won't. Perhaps it wears down the machine too fast?

However, the hardness of EVO is closer to stainless steel than it is to nickel.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 05-03-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Other companies can plek stainless steel frets, so I wonder why McPherson won't. Perhaps it wears down the machine too fast?

However, the hardness of EVO is closer to stainless steel than it is to nickel.
Probably. I agree, having access to all 3 types of frets now I think the EVO are closer to the stainless steel side than nickel. We shall see in the long run how they hold up. I expect them to last the life of the guitar.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:12 PM

Bringing back am old thread.

Has anyone else found the touring much brighter than the sable? I really disagree that the touring sounds like a small sable. I think it sounds completely different. Sable has tons of compression and sounds muted. Awesome but muted. Touring is bright and loud. Seems honestly louder than the sable. And so bright that I'd venture to put on some darker strings on it.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post

Has anyone else found the touring much brighter than the sable? I really disagree that the touring sounds like a small sable. I think it sounds completely different. Sable has tons of compression and sounds muted. Awesome but muted. Touring is bright and loud. Seems honestly louder than the sable. And so bright that I'd venture to put on some darker strings on it.
When I had the opportunity to play them side-by-side, I had the same impressions as you. I think I described the Sable as "dark," and the Touring as "lively." Both nice guitars, but the Touring didn't sound or feel like a smaller version of the Sable to me.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post

My local Sam Ash had a great deal on an unsold Touring and I just did not think it sounded very good at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber