The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-21-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Takamine TC135SC Review

The Takamine TC135SC has been on my radar for a while, but not readily available in stores to demo so I decided to order recently. My ownership experience with crossovers include my first, a hybrid was a 2005 Taylor NS42ce, a Cordoba Orchestra 12 sp/rw, and a Yamaha APX5NA.

The TC135SC is contemporary voiced guitar like the Taylor and Yamaha. In comparison, the Cordoba has more volume and is more traditionally voiced. The Takamine is more responsive, open sounding, and has a little more volume than the Yamaha, but in fairness the Takamine has a deeper body with solid top and back compared to shallower body and all lamination. Aside from that, I have the Yamaha setup and B-Band PU dialed in and it's not bad, but much less open in comparison.

The TC135SC has a nice tone, but does not have the same volume and projection compared to a traditional classical. However, it is very pleasing acoustically and sufficient to perform in a small quiet room. Where it is strong, is the smooth tonal spectrum like a well balanced steel string. It allows me to play much more of my steel string arrangements on the Nylon. Also, the Takemine UST/Cooltube is very good sounding of the mass produced pickups I've played.

I've the opportunity to perform a few times now with the instrument; once unplugged. Subjectively, I really like it. The tone and response allows me to " feel" and enjoy the notes I'm playing. The Cooltube allows the tone to be warmed and smooths out the UST signal. I always approach plugging in as pursuing a good sound/tone; not always the guitar's acoustics accurately.
So my take on the TC135SC is that it achieves a nice tone that has a very good acoustic nylon string quality.

The playability was very good out of the box. I usually lower string height just to the limit of tone and notes played without buzzing. I have no intention to lower the saddle even though there room to do so.

I think the focus for the guitars may be biased on plugging in, but I find I do enjoy the acoustic tone. The TC135SC delivers the ability to play a broad range of contemporary fingerstyle music and so far this is performing much better than my other guitars.

Added note- This guitar was a replacement to a previous order where the guitar and case had some minor damage and was likely a open box. The previous model sounded great but had a significantly higher action and the saddle was cut taller. I found it interesting that two guitars would have 2 significantly different saddle heights. There was approximately 1/32 difference in the 6th string height at the 12th fret.

Last edited by Turp; 12-22-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I had a 135 years ago. Or was it a 132? It was in the $1500 dollar range. It was an excellent guitar! I later traded it in on a Yairi CY140. But never forgot that Takamine. It was my first good nylon string.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:05 PM

I had a C132 once. Still miss that guitar.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

The TC132SC is on my radar too. Part of my reasoning to purchase the 135 was easier to play and roomier for aging fingers. The TC132 would offer more fretboard, but The 135 checked a box for a true "hybrid" tone and feel.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I just went and looked at both the 132 and 135. I had the 135. It had the full classical neck. This was in the mid-90s. Loved that guitar and regret selling it. It was flawless. I stepped-up from a $150 Yamaha student classical that I'd been playing, to that Takamine. A HUGE step up! The Yairi that I traded the Tak for was stunning and also flawless, but not versatile like the Tak was. It's possible I'd still have that Tak if I hadn't traded it. My current favorite Cordoba GK Pro (I've had four of those) is very similar to that Tak from what I remember.

P.S. The Taylor nylons have never tempted me. I played a few, but they reminded me of the Yamaha NTX series in that they didn't have the unplugged volume and response of the Taks and Cordobas. They are very nice, but not what I look for in a nylon. Just like the Breedlove crossover nylons that I've owned (Masterclass Bossa Nova and Passport N250). Both excellent guitars, but lacking the more delicately-built, liveliness of the Cordoba and Takamine nylons.

Last edited by Red_Label; 11-24-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

I like the tone of the Takamine Santa Fe model number PSF – 65C that I bought in 1998 or 1999. I don’t know why, but the neck profile is not comfortable for me when playing above the 8th fret.

The Takamine 132 was widely regarded as the workhorse gigging guitar through at least the 80s and 90s.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post

P.S. The Taylor nylons have never tempted me. I played a few, but they reminded me of the Yamaha NTX series in that they didn't have the unplugged volume and response of the Taks and Cordobas. They are very nice, but not what I look for in a nylon. Just like the Breedlove crossover nylons that I've owned (Masterclass Bossa Nova and Passport N250). Both excellent guitars, but lacking the more delicately-built, liveliness of the Cordoba and Takamine nylons.
I agree, and have had a similar experience. I want Takamine to be something that inspires me acoustically one a wide range of styles. The Yamaha plays great, but lacks a good acoustic character. The Cordoba I have sounds very good, but has a traditional classical tone, so it doesn't see much playing time except at Christmas. I'm now considering selling the Yamaha or Cordoba, but am torn about it, so I'm going to see how things develop over the next few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
I like the tone of the Takamine Santa Fe model number PSF – 65C that I bought in 1998 or 1999. I don’t know why, but the neck profile is not comfortable for me when playing above the 8th fret.

The Takamine 132 was widely regarded as the workhorse gigging guitar through at least the 80s and 90s.
The neck on the TC135SC is slightly more round/fuller than other hybrids I played, but not restrictive to me.

As far as gigging, I 've kind of recognized the workhorse following with their pickups. We had a local musician who played a TC132SC which sounded great and played very well ( kind "jones-ing" for one of these in the future). I hope this guitar will become my do it all for solo instrumental gigs. In the past, some material I wanted to play just didn't work on my Cordoba or Yamaha. I'd carry two guitars sometimes. The weak link was open chords that included notes fretted at the 5th fret and up such as 0799000 or x02450. The Takamine has demonstrated not such weakness thus far.

Last edited by Turp; 11-25-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:08 AM

OP, Any new thoughts on the takamine?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical