The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-04-2023, 02:55 PM

Default Reaper revisited after 7 years fallow

I started recording in 2015 purchasing some mics, some mic cords, some mic stands, a small console/panel, a DR40 recorder, and Reaper.

I posted how I found the learning curve on Reaper to be incredibly difficult and most of the time I felt like a chimp poking at it with a stick and screeching.

But eventually I got a bunch of songs recorded. Then I put the gear away and had some personal upheavals.

Now my life is stable and I'm retired.

About 4 months ago I reassembled the gear. I just looked at it and remembered the beating Reaper had inflicted on me and the frustration with overly complicated YouTube "tutorials." So I ignored it for 4 months.

I finally started recording a bit and going back to my learning materials and found some waaay better YT videos (Allan Steel I think is his name - they weren't available in 2015) that clarified a bunch of things.

Now I'm not screeching like a chimp and hitting my computer with a stick.
But I think that walking away from it for awhile allowed my subconsicous to let things sink in.

This is like learning an entirely different instrument. It takes time, sweat, and possibly some tears (and screeching)

That is all.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

You really hit the nail on the head. Yes, the brain continues to process information and transfer files from RAM to hard drive even when we’re not consciously aware of it. But with all the screeching and poking, your brain knew this was important to you, and kept working on it even after you stopped. Im still in the screeching and poking phase with Reaper (my wife would say poop-flinging) but hope to emerge victorious before 2030. There are small triumphs that give me hope.

So….after all that, whats your opinion of Reaper. It seems well-liked for the most part here on AGF.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-04-2023, 04:36 PM

Glad to hear you're jumping back in!

Do check out Kenny Gioia's excellent Reaper tutorials, he's the deFacto standard for Reaper instructional videos.

I'm a long-time Reaper user and am using it for video editing, also.

If you happen to be in the market for small monitors I recently bought a pair of the Presonus Eris 3.5s. They are great as small personal monitors but they also are currently shipping with a free download of Presonus's Studio One DAW which many seem to like a bunch.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-04-2023 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:21 PM

The only DAW I've ever used is Reaper. I didn't find it too difficult to use for a newbie. Add a track, pick source and record. Adding plug-ins weren't difficult either. I also have Steven Slate Drums and that has not been difficult to use. The MIDI editer was pretty easy as well. I haven't used it in about 6 years but if I start recording again, I will still use Reaper.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 02-04-2023, 07:38 PM

I'm a Reaper user too, and I think the thing about it is that it *can* do so many things, sometimes it's hard to figure out how to get it to do what you *want* it to do. Something with fewer buttons, menus and options may be far easier to use initially, but won't be as powerful in the end. Other full-featured DAWs like ProTools, or other software like Premiere Pro, or even Quickbooks, suffer from the same problem--a beginner can get overwhelmed, because the software is designed for power users: people who don't want functions hidden or missing.

Like DanR said, focus on the basics that you use. If you need something more, consult Kenny Gioia.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:53 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I use Reaper, but not to record with, just EQ, but my sound file editing and clean up is done with Izotope's RX10.

In Reaper I keep in simple. One track for solo guitar, one track as a reverb bus. On the guitar track I have a Hi pass, then EQ (Pro Fab) and sometimes a compressor.

I record with a portable recorder, Zoom's F3.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-04-2023, 10:26 PM

I watched Kenny Goia's videos 7 years ago and they didn't sink in but he was the best at the time. I don't have especially good memories of them though they were better than the other ones I found where the person was showing Reaper with their preferred theme and their preferred plug-ins and their preferred this that and the other........ which made it not resemble what I had.

I don't record in Reaper. I record to a DR-40 (via a mixer) then take the tracks to Reaper to edit and clean up.

What do I think of Reaper? Waaay too complicated and not much in the way of help files to explain things. Yes, I read the manual (I'm an engineer. We do that.) but it still seems like a Unix helpfile- you have to know what it means for it to help. EDIT- I'm using Reaper 4.77 so perhaps there's more help in more current versions.

Price was right for venturing into that world but if there had been a Beginner button which would have hidden 80% of the menu choices it would have worked better for me.

It's working for me now for what I want to do - I use compressors, EQ, track doubling, compressor ducking guitar for vocals, volume envelopes and can successfully render.

Long ago I tried MIDI drums and was utterly stymied. I'm not going back there. Some folks here tried to help with that but online couldn't get thru to me. I'll live the rest of my life just fine without drums.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
I watched Kenny Goia's videos 7 years ago and they didn't sink in but he was the best at the time. I don't have especially good memories of them though they were better than the other ones I found where the person was showing Reaper with their preferred theme and their preferred plug-ins and their preferred this that and the other........ which made it not resemble what I had.

I don't record in Reaper. I record to a DR-40 (via a mixer) then take the tracks to Reaper to edit and clean up.

What do I think of Reaper? Waaay too complicated and not much in the way of help files to explain things. Yes, I read the manual (I'm an engineer. We do that.) but it still seems like a Unix helpfile- you have to know what it means for it to help. EDIT- I'm using Reaper 4.77 so perhaps there's more help in more current versions.

Price was right for venturing into that world but if there had been a Beginner button which would have hidden 80% of the menu choices it would have worked better for me.

It's working for me now for what I want to do - I use compressors, EQ, track doubling, compressor ducking guitar for vocals, volume envelopes and can successfully render.

Long ago I tried MIDI drums and was utterly stymied. I'm not going back there. Some folks here tried to help with that but online couldn't get thru to me. I'll live the rest of my life just fine without drums.
As far as the manual, are you referring to the downloadable PDF version of the full manual? I think it's well organized and easy to use. I keep the PDF on my computer's desktop for use when I am looking for an answer to a specific question.

You could just get yourself a KAT pad and record in real time if you want simple drums or percussion to flavor your recordings.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
As far as the manual, are you referring to the downloadable PDF version of the full manual? I think it's well organized and easy to use. I keep the PDF on my computer's desktop for use when I am looking for an answer to a specific question.
Manual is Up and Running a Reaper User Guide. PDF I have on my desktop as well. That's what I found at the time. Also have Reaper Quick Start - 3 pages of commands. And I worked thru a how to record book on my Kindle. It used Reaper as the example DAW. It helped a little but there was still a lot of screeching.

Not going back to MIDI drums. Nope. It was just one song that I thought needed a very simple drum role. Not worth it.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Manual is Up and Running a Reaper User Guide. PDF I have on my desktop as well. That's what I found at the time. Also have Reaper Quick Start - 3 pages of commands. And I worked thru a how to record book on my Kindle. It used Reaper as the example DAW. It helped a little but there was still a lot of screeching.

Not going back to MIDI drums. Nope. It was just one song that I thought needed a very simple drum role. Not worth it.
Just to be clear, the KAT Pad has a midi output but it has direct audio output as well. No need to do the midi thang.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear, the KAT Pad has a midi output but it has direct audio output as well. No need to do the midi thang.
Thanks but no.

I record into a DR40 portable then carry the SD card to my computer for DAW processing.

I can't picture how it would work for me and, being the guy who finds the surprise defects in software for the last 35 years, plugging that thing into my computer would have a 5% chance of destroying my computer.

I don't need or miss drums.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks but no.

I record into a DR40 portable then carry the SD card to my computer for DAW processing.

I can't picture how it would work for me and, being the guy who finds the surprise defects in software for the last 35 years, plugging that thing into my computer would have a 5% chance of destroying my computer.

I don't need or miss drums.
Your DR-40 DOES overdub...

In all seriousness, have fun with your projects!
Old 02-05-2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Your DR-40 DOES overdub...

In all seriousness, have fun with your projects!
I failed to mention that I know how to do that and use it sometimes.

I'm mostly enjoying what I'm doing now as I'm producing more covers for both my fans that I'm not ashamed to have them play.

I posted this thread to report that it took a long time to get over the startup curve and that I'm fine now

(but I'm NOT doing drums!)
Old 02-05-2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:

I'm mostly enjoying what I'm doing now as I'm producing more covers for both my fans that I'm not ashamed to have them play.

I posted this thread to report that it took a long time to get over the startup curve and that I'm fine now

Me either!
Old 02-07-2023, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yes learning a full featured DAW can be a steep learning curve. And I agree most DAW manuals and definitely the Reaper manual is written with the assumption you are fluent in Reaper nomenclature (And I tried reaper after 10 years with Pro Tools)..
And most DAW manuals assume you already know a fair amount of the specific language used to describe Digital DAW workflow and concepts,,, so as to even be able to have clue how to look up what it is you want to find out how to do ... ..

So don't feel bad I have been using Pro Tools for 20 years now and struggled a lot the first 5 years on my own, What was a quantum leap for me was taking a full year of online courses from Berklee Collage of Music in Advance Music Production in Pro Tools . And there is still much I do not know.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-07-2023 at 01:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD