The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-01-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
You know, it's getting harder find anybody who is willing to work. I've been trying to find someone to replace the decking on my deck and I can't get anyone to return my phone calls. I may have to do this job myself.

- Glenn
Gee, I wonder why that is?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-01-2023, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Already sent my info and meeting next Wednesday.
Great!

My acupuncturist’s accountant retired…and now I’ve become a “captive” audience to her woes on finding someone new…lol. It’s hard to say “no” to someone with a bevy of sharp objects in their hands.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
You know, it's getting harder find anybody who is willing to work. I've been trying to find someone to replace the decking on my deck and I can't get anyone to return my phone calls. I may have to do this job myself.

- Glenn
I don't think it's people don't want to work. They have too much work. In the far north of your state, Glenn, all the painters, small contractors, and handymen are booked for months out. After not being able to find a contractor up here, my older son (age 22) and I tore off our front deck and rear second story deck and rebuilt them ourselves with a different style railings and decking.

Two of our local house painting businesses closed last summer. They were both owned by teachers who painted in the summers. All five guys say they their jobs are ten times more demanding since the pandemic, they just want and need to take care of themselves over the summers. I know of five or six firefighters who owned a pub for 10-12 years. They sold it off last year because the patrons have become so crazy and demanding, it sucked the joy our of the business. Life is short enough already, so why put yourself in an early grave?

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 02-04-2023 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
So there's really no advantage with sticking with the same firm. I'd find someone else local - a one-person company and start over. Once you become just a computer file to a big company, you lose the value of that personal service.

I use an old Army buddy to do my taxes. I know I can call him anytime (and have) with questions about tax impacts and new issues. When he retires, I'm not going to just be passively handed off to the highest bidder.
Same thing happened when MBAs took over medicine. Its like major league sports….dont get attached to your star hometown hero….the office can send him to the enemy for the right price, and theyre happy to go. Its all business. Nothing personal.

Ive had patients complain why dont I accept their insurance anymore?? I tell them the decision was made by a guy in the corner office wearing shoes that cost as much as my jeep. Im just the dumb employee…
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-05-2023, 12:56 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Its all business. Nothing personal.
And, as they say - therein lies the rub.

We live in The Land of the Bottom Line:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic