The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-14-2023, 07:23 PM

Default Ramblings of guitars causing problems.

Just felt like making a stupid post, nothing important.

Playing at church tomorrow, and so I decided I was going to use the RainSong. Been a bit since I've used it on the team. Its my favorite guitar to pull off the wall, so I figured why not! It's got my least favorite plugged in tone of all my instruments, but the one I love the absolute most.

Well, for the first time, I've developed a buzzing or other low E string issue that prevents me from using it. I went in to practice by myself on Friday, and it just didn't sound right. First song is pretty high tempo (130 bpm with about half of the pattern in 16th note strumming) with a capo on the 2nd fret. Otherwise it's a bounce off the low E to a chord strike. But man, it just didn't sound right. I've never had that with the RainSong. It's always just been my solid go-to. The low E and A strings are extremely close to the fretboard, and they are just buzzing when it's a hard charge strum and tempo like I have going on here. Oh well. I need to check and see if the saddle may be a bit worn, causing the action to go down a bit. I could probably shim the saddle .5 to 1mm and it would be fine, but I just don't feel like digging into it right before playing when I have other options.

So, I went to practice today with my X30. I haven't used it in a while playing at all, either at home or on stage. Somewhat pleased with how it felt, but I just cannot seem to jive with it. Not sure if it's the smaller frets or what, but I have never "loved" it like my RainSong. Really annoying, as it is such a striking instrument, and I love how it looks.

Thought maybe use the Virtuo?! Tried to mess around with that a bit on Friday night by myself as well. Nah. Electric strings just don't want to work well for my strumming. Not sure why, but I just cannot seem to find a good match for me with that thing. It's lovely, and I do like the way it plays, but I am primarily an acoustic rhythm player, or a mess around finger style player. Can't seem to get the poor Virtuo to want to work properly for me.

So, since I can't seem to make that work right now, the Taylor is there waiting to get ripped into again tomorrow. Quick sound check and re-balance tomorrow morning. I just hate being up there with a wooden guitar. It looks like everyone else's when they are up there - it's not different. I do like the way it plays and sounds though, and since the RainSong needs some time, that's what important right?? Time to dig into the RainSong and just make her all fresh and spiffy again.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

An issue I had with the RainSong Shorty (with the Prefix + T pickup) that made an annoying buzz came from the plastic trim around the barndoor pickup controls. A bit of electrical tape eliminated the problem. I know others had that same problem. The body was resonate enough that it picked up that vibrating plastic sound, plugged in or unplugged. If yours has the barndoor, tilt it open a bit and see if the buzz goes away.

I hope it will be something that simple for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber