The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-17-2016, 01:23 AM

I might just keep you all waiting a little longer for the pro shot of the back/endgraft
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 04-25-2016, 04:03 AM

Temporary thread hi-jack/intermission …

I’ve had an increasing suspicion that there was a spruce topped rosewood OM-shaped hole in my life. This is odd for two reasons. First, I’m not hugely into rosewood guitars, particularly spruce topped ones. To my ears, a lot of the ones I’ve played (save for some very spendy ones) can sound a bit metallic and mid-scooped, whereas I prefer a somewhat warmer and woodier sound; and – unless the guitar is really well voiced - the integration and balance of the harmonics/upper partials can a bit be off. Second, because an SJ is about as small as I like to go in acoustics, preferring the bigger sound and deeper bass of jumbos, dreads, etc.

Nevertheless, an encounter with Steveh’s Kostal OM just over a year ago made me start to think otherwise. This was the guitar that gave me pause for thought about whether to go for a Kostal OM instead of an MD. The smaller body size gives it a more mid-range focus which compliments the characteristic mid-scoop of rosewood, producing a wonderfully balanced instrument across the spectrum. The shorter (25”) scale length helps it’s wonderfully round trebles. And, it being a Kostal, the bass - and overall tone - is phenomenal. This is by no means a small sounding guitar. Indeed, it left me wondering whether I should go for a wenge OM instead of a walnut MD! And so the seed was planted.

Subsequent guitar encounters at IanLP59s gathering helped germinate that seed. Vicov’s Kostal OM was everything that Steveh’s was. Well, not quite. It has a cutaway, so it’s a little less of a guitar! And I played a fantastic Bown OM there. A very different beast, with that classic dry, direct and powerful Martin sound - but on steroids. Also a fantastic instrument. I’d heard Ralph’s handiwork sing on many an occasion in the hands of the wonderful Clive Carroll. It just sounds superb. But then Clive could make rubber bands stretched across a tissue box sing like a choir of angels.

And a month ago at the UK RMMGA gathering, Tony Thompson (www.glastonburyguitars.co.uk) had a number of small-bodied guitars he’d made with Nathan Ball – all with vitreous back and sides and European spruce tops. Tony had been on Ervin’s voicing workshop about 4 years ago and the influence was shining through in the sound and looks of these new prototypes. All great guitars. And ones I found were just small enough that I could just about play (though a bunch of stretches and most thumb over the neck playing was still out) whilst still holding the sleeping babe.

"The art of marsupial guitar" (photo and caption courtesy of Adrian Lucas - who also makes a mean guitar). The RMMGA weekend seemed like as much of an excuse as I was ever going to find to wear those socks…

And Clive was there with his Bown OM… Which by no means sounds like a tissue box with rubber bands!

Photo courtesy of Cams. My Lowden Baritone and, just visible, my McIlroy A25c custom providing the backdrop).

My better half and mini-me got to duet with the maestro too:

Photo courtesy of Cams. My Lowden Baritone and, barely visible, my McIlroy A25c custom providing the backdrop).

Little Sophie, incidentally, is not so sure about all this guitar indoctrination from such a young age:

“But dad, I wanted to be a drummer…!” Photo by yours truly.

Suddenly the rosewood OM idea was sprouting leaves.

So by the time Steveh decided to part with his Kostals earlier this month - because he had something of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with a stunning nylon string guitar - suddenly this idea had grown into a fully-fledged plant.

This was all madness of course. The plan was one guitar to rule them all. I couldn’t possibly justify spending that sort of money on another guitar. All the more so when I’d just paid off the final instalment on my MD.

But as my MD has taken a while longer than I’d originally anticipated, and as I’d kept up my “guitar fund” standing order, I’d over-saved a bit. And I figured, if my MD lives up to even half my dreams, I can sell a bunch of my other guitars, which would top up the balance. That might just be enough.

And the devil on my left said … maybe you should go play Steve’s Kostal OM? It’s not like Jason’s guitars come up second hand very often. This one’s already in the UK. In fact, about an hour away. And you already know it’s a great guitar. And it’s got a pretty wide nut, like you like. And it’s a fair discount on a new Kostal (which would be prohibitively expensive) … and Jason’s list is closed and he’s got a 6 year waiting list. So this is really is a one-off opportunity.

But I rationalised. It’s not got a cutaway. It has standard string spacing, and not the 60mm at the saddle that is now a pretty firm requirement for me. My MD is due in a few weeks - I should at least wait till that turns up. And I wouldn’t want to spoil the excitement of the Kostal MD New Guitar Day. Anyway, two Kostals it’s totally excessive, right?

But then that OM is a very special guitar. What if it’s gone by the time my MD arrives?

As a result of my having an accident involving an unfortunate collision with my laptop keyboard, on Sunday morning Steve arrived at my house with his OM. He’d very kindly trekked down so that I could demo it (despite the direct train from his to mine offering its seemingly standard ‘Sunday service’ – i.e. no trains!).

And after much coffee and cake, I played the OM. And it was good. Verily, yea. It was glorious.

And just to be sure, I played another of my instruments, whose make shall remain nameless. And it was like I’d put earplugs in my ears, losing the volume; the clarity; the sparkle, shimmer and harmonics; those glorious trebles; and about an octave off the bottom. (Perhaps the MDF ukele wasn’t the best choice of comparator! )

And I thought, as did Steve, what a wonderful complement it would be to my forthcoming walnut MD. After all, we know from Steve and Eric that there’s room for both a Kostal OM and MD in the stable.

And I thought, I’m recording this year. My MD might be a bit fresh, being only a few weeks old. Wouldn’t it be great to have the OM to hand as a more mature, complementary voice?

And what if I got hit by a bus tomorrow? One doesn’t “enjoy” cash in the bank. But I would enjoy some time with a Kostal OM.

And yet... And yet... This was not the plan! This was all happening too fast!

And so poor Steve was dispatched with his Kostal in hand. And I had a sleepless night, wrestling not only with the now mightily monstrous tree of the rosewood OM idea (note to self: this tortuous metaphor has really had gone too far!) but also with my guilt for allowing Steve to deliver his guitar for a test drive, and sending him packing axe in hand.

So, this is all a bit of a shaggy dog story because last Friday was finally New Guitar Day!

Or is it?

Because this is not the NGD I had been not-so-patiently waiting for since 2011, but instead “welcome madrose OM” NGD! Right here you have one very happy and very fortunate man...

Because Kostals, it seems, are like buses. You wait 4.5 years and then two come along at once.

Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 04-27-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:57 PM

Congratulations, Dan.

Owning several guitars from the same builder has been such an enriching experience for me. I hope your Kostals inspire you for many years to come.

I often wear "fancy" socks but yours might be in a league of their own. I think I might be jealous.

And Clive Carroll is such a wonderful player. I hope I can see him live one day.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Congrats Dan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Congratulations, Dan.

Owning several guitars from the same builder has been such an enriching experience for me. I hope your Kostals inspire you for many years to come.

I often wear "fancy" socks but yours might be in a league of their own. I think I might be jealous.

And Clive Carroll is such a wonderful player. I hope I can see him live one day.
I love your new guitar...it is special, indeed.

Mau,
I saw Clive a couple months back and it was unbelievable. Spent a little time with him after the show and he's a great dude, as well. As good a player as I've ever experienced...totally remarkable.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Congratulations, Dan.

Thanks Mau.

I haven’t quite got to the owning several Kostals yet – the MD’s not quite in my hands (well, I suppose I have paid for it, so technically I probably do own it!). I’ll be sure to let everyone know when it is! I’m guessing another couple of weeks or so. They’ll be videos and audio in the fullness of time – though it may me a while to get round to that.

The OM is already proving an inspiration – not only to try to carve out some more time for playing, but sonically. It also demands quite a different approach to the Lowden O35cx (EIR/cedar) and McIlroy A25c custom (black walnut/cedar) that had been my main guitars. Very different Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release envelope, so different expression/timing and right hand technique required. It's also a much more robust and hi-fi sound compared to the softer, more ethereal Irish/Northern Irish guitars.

I have my parents to thank for the “socks at Xmas” gift!

I’ve had the good fortune to see Clive play a dozen or so times in various settings – from concerts in church halls and music venues, to workshops, to living rooms and kitchens. I also had the rather odd experience (for both of us!) of playing one of his tunes to him last month. He’s just going from strength to strength (which is hard to imagine – given that he was amazing the first time I saw him). IMHO, one of the absolute “best” (if that has any meaning!) – fantastic touch, expression, technique and compositions. Entertaining, lovely fella and humble to boot. I’m really looking forward to his next album, due very soon. What I’ve heard of it has been fantastic...
Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 04-26-2016, 11:53 AM

Ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
I love your new guitar...it is special, indeed.
I'm in the enviable position of being able to say... which one?!?

At the moment, life is very sweet!

There will be fuller reviews of both (although Steveh has already covered all the ground on the OM on his build thread) once the MD has landed ... ultimately video and audio too. May take me a while to get to it.
Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 04-30-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobo View Post
There will be fuller reviews of both (although Steveh has already covered all the ground on the OM on his build thread) once the MD has landed ... ultimately video and audio too. May make me a while to get to it.
Hey Dan - I'll be loooking forward to this +++.

I'm delighted the guitar has gone to someone who I know will extract the most from it. It's a superb instrument, truly, and not one that I parted with easily at all. However, things move on and after playing some nylon pieces for a couple of hours this AM, I know that this is the right move for both of us.

Can't wait to hear the OM against the new MD if you'll let me.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-10-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Hey Dan - I'll be loooking forward to this +++.

I'm delighted the guitar has gone to someone who I know will extract the most from it. It's a superb instrument, truly, and not one that I parted with easily at all. However, things move on and after playing some nylon pieces for a couple of hours this AM, I know that this is the right move for both of us.

Can't wait to hear the OM against the new MD if you'll let me.

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your kind words.

It is indeed superb and I can see why it was so hard to part with! I'm glad that you feel you made the right choice - difficult though it may have been - and that your new nylon-string is hitting all the right notes!

I'll certainly give you a shout when the MD has landed. It'll probably be mid-June or later before I'm around to meet up, but I'm looking forward to getting it and the OM into your hands. That'd be the least I can do, given all your most-generous Kostal-related assistance and input over the years, which not only helped shaped my MD's spec but will ended up with me having not one but two of the lovely things!

On the flip side, it's starting to feel like there's a lot of pressure on me to put them to good use! I'll do what I can ... If only I had more time ... !
Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 07-15-2016, 11:48 AM

So, after a bit of a thread hiatus, an exciting update: guess what is due to ship today?!?

Very excited that this stunning guitar will be heading my way shortly! I'm guessing it'll be 3-5 days before it reaches me. And the race is on: I've got three days recording a fingerstyle album next week, with the prodigious Declan Zapala in the producer's chair. It's going to be a close call whether the MD arrives in time for the final session - and the guitar will be very green if it does - but fingers crossed it'll work out for at least a couple of tunes!

Exciting times!
Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 07-15-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Awesome--hope it makes it time for you!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-15-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
So, after a bit of a thread hiatus, an exciting update: guess what is due to ship today?!?

Very excited that this stunning guitar will be heading my way shortly! I'm guessing it'll be 3-5 days before it reaches me. And the race is on: I've got three days recording a fingerstyle album next week, with the prodigious Declan Zapala in the producer's chair. It's going to be a close call whether the MD arrives in time for the final session - and the guitar will be very green if it does - but fingers crossed it'll work out for at least a couple of tunes!

Exciting times!
Ok - my guess might need a bit of revision! Looks like we're shipping next week. I'll keep you posted!
Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 07-20-2016, 05:52 AM

Ok, the parcel is in the UK! But in customs in the East Midlands... Could tomorrow be the long awaited NGD...?!? Am I getting a bit too excited?!?
Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 07-20-2016, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, the parcel is in the UK! But in customs in the East Midlands... Could tomorrow be the long awaited NGD...?!? Am I getting a bit too excited?!?
You have been patiently waiting for 8-months since November 2015 when the build began in earnest (plus your queue time!). While it may feel like forever, I am certain that you will make it another day. It is a nice feeling to be excited over something isn't it? Savor the moment of excitement and anticipation. I do warn you that it is a bit like an addictive drug and can lead to another guitar..
Old 07-20-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
You have been patiently waiting for 8-months since November 2015 when the build began in earnest (plus your queue time!). While it may feel like forever, I am certain that you will make it another day. It is a nice feeling to be excited over something isn't it? Savor the moment of excitement and anticipation. I do warn you that it is a bit like an addictive drug and can lead to another guitar..
Well, maybe not all that patiently

The MD sat for a few days the warehouse in Pheonix, Az in mid 40s heat unexpectedly (exactly what we'd hoped to avoid by shipping on a Monday) due to what DHL said was a "Force Majeur Weather Event" (huge dust storm apparently), so hopefully it's not melted into one of these:

Mind you, it's (very uncharacteristically!) 30+ over here today, 33 yesterday. That elusive beast - British Summer - seems to have finally arrived. As it always does, just when I'm trying to record! The guitars and I don't seem to like it: had to pull today's recording session as it was unbearably hot in the studio even on Monday. Hopefully the guitars and I can brave it out on Friday for the next session!

But in the meantime, life is good: the sun is shining, the weather is sweet (makes you wanna move those dancing feet). And to top it off, a beautiful Kostal MD is heading my way shortly!

As for other guitars in the future, this is the one to rule them all, right? Oh, alongside the OM.
Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 07-20-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:02 AM

So folks, today *might* be New Guitar Day...

Even if not, it's in the same borough as me and TNAGs, so tantalisingly close!

Larrivee L-05MT
Yairi 1960s Soloists

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
dan burne, kostal, mod d, modified dreadnaught