The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-02-2021, 09:55 AM

Default Learned the MIRC lesson - the hard way. . .but what made it a MIRC?

I have a Guild D-150 CE Natural and noted a problem with a red sticker serial number replacement that led me to learning about MIRCs. I was unaware of the phenomenon. I don't know how bad I got hurt back when I bought it because it was half-price without disclosure of being branded. I began trying to determine what the heck was wrong with it.

I noted a number of similar Guilds sold on Ebay all with overset necks, so I began there. It appears to be 1/16" overset by what I've read and has what I would consider a pretty high saddle, making it over 1/2" from sound board to essentially the top of the saddle if that is the intended measurement. The saddle also seems to lean forward quite a bit, as if stressed. The action at the fretboard has always appeared far too high to me but I never took efforts to address it. By some pics of other overset necks, mine doesn't seem all that drastic but appears nevertheless overset.

Other than that, I'm at a loss to try and determine what made the guitar result in being branded and picked up by MIRC. The only other imperfection I can see is a slight buildup of urethane finish around the base of the neck where it meets the top of the sound board. It doesn't photograph well at all but I thought something like that was correctable at the factory. Other than that, as a novice, I can't for the life of me determine what branded the guitar from factory quality. Electronics are flawless. It even plays and sounds great with the exception of action more reminiscent of my first Silvertone back in the early 60s.

I have photos but the links don't seem to be working.

Last edited by highlimits; 05-02-2021 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Edited according to rules.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:12 PM

Here's a list of what MIRC could possibly stand for. Which one are you talking about?

Acronym Definition
MIRC My Internet Relay Chat
MIRC Magnetic-Ink Character Recognition (banking)
MIRC Microelectronics Research Center
MIRC Management Information Report Control
MIRC Marine Information Research Center (Japan)
MIRC Medical Imaging Resource Center
MIRC Microsoft Internet Relay Chat (real-time messaging)
MIRC Mediation Information & Resource Center
MIRC Metsovion Interdisciplinary Research Center (Greece)
MIRC Member of the Idle Rich Class (George Bernard Shaw book)
MIRC Multi-user Internet Relay Chat
MIRC Micro Infrared Camera
MIRC Management Information Report Control (Legal master software)
MIRC Mardam-Bey's Internet Relay Chat
MIRC Moo/Mu Internet Relay Chat
MIRC Military Intelligence Reserve Command
Old 05-02-2021, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Musical Instrument Reclamation Corporation?
Old 05-02-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlimits View Post
The action at the fretboard has always appeared far too high to me but I never took efforts to address it.
Well, at least that's a fairly inexpensive fix since you've got plenty of saddle that can be shaved down. Take it to somebody for a pro setup.

Yes, MIRC is the Musical Instrument Reclamation Corporation, as reverb explains.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair