The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 12:38 PM

Thumbs up Yup

E-Bay.................
Old 04-17-2021, 03:09 PM

Very cool that Amazon appears to pay authors more fully and seamlessly than other outlets for books. I like that! Can't beat the convenience for customers as well - their customer service is exceptional.

Very uncool that Amazon has begun to censor offerings that challenge its agenda. Folks that agree with Amazon's world view may not mind today, but they might very much mind in the future.

We're in a funny world where corporations with dominant positions are expanding what they wish to influence in the US using their market power. In the past, if a local bookstore chose not to carry a title, we had other ways to buy it and hear other points of view. Today, some private firms are dominant enough to exercise de-facto societal censorship.

Not sure what the right solve is, but I'm concerned. My parents fled from German and Russian Armies in WWII to emigrate to the US and gratefully enjoy a free life in America. I'm hopeful this opportunity continues for my children.

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-18-2021 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Political
Old 04-17-2021, 05:48 PM

I buy books from regular Goodwill stores. One big problem with their books though is a lot of times they have been underlined or highlighted to the max. I refuse to buy those. I buy ebooks from BookBub.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:05 PM

You might try AbeBooks.com .
Old 04-18-2021, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You might try AbeBooks.com .
As previously discussed on page 2 of this thread. Abebooks=Amazon.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:16 AM

I try to buy from a small mom and pop shop in town.
As hard as it is I am consciously weaning myself off Amazon because of their censorship. They even took off the Clarence Thomas documentary from prime that was hardly controversial.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:29 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
I try to buy from a small mom and pop shop in town.
As hard as it is I am consciously weaning myself off Amazon because of their censorship. They even took off the Clarence Thomas documentary from prime that was hardly controversial.
Stuff gets removed (and added!) all the time from Prime Video. It has nothing to do with "censorship" but rather the distribution deals Amazon makes with the content owners.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I agree that a private business can choose to sell or not sell whatever they like.
Simply not true.
Nor can they choose to whom they sell to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
I do nearly all my reading on a Kindle now and so use Amazon exclusively.
Me too. But not the sane as a big heavy hard cover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWer View Post
Big Fan of Powell’s Books. If you are ever in Portland, it’s worth the visit.
Big smile
Old 04-19-2021, 05:26 AM

It's hard to believe that the DR SEUESS stuff (Its really selling well currently) is being "fined tuned" because of content. How about Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn with the "N Word" in it? I find myself really happy that I'm older and came through in a really great set of years.

Fog
Old 04-19-2021, 07:34 PM

Actually the last 10 or so books I have bought have been from a guy that sets up books along a busy bridge. His row can be 100 feet long with titles across all sorts of genre. Just bought four Vonnegut books for $8.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 04-20-2021, 06:03 AM

I finished a book and just downloaded a free e-book from Amazon as part of our Prime membership. Though I prefer a real book, it's so nice being able to get a new book right away. Plus, it's nice to have it available and synced on my tablet and phone. Now I'm far more likely to read while standing in line than surf the web.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I finished a book and just downloaded a free e-book from Amazon as part of our Prime membership. Though I prefer a real book, it's so nice being able to get a new book right away. Plus, it's nice to have it available and synced on my tablet and phone. Now I'm far more likely to read while standing in line than surf the web.
Yeah, I got a Kindle not long after they came out, in I guess 2008. My brother got one of the very first ones in 2007 and talked me into checking it out. I got over the "real book" thing really quickly. Before that, when my wife and I went on vacation, we'd pack one suitcase almost entirely with books and CDs to have while we were away. With Kindles and MP3 players, everything we were gonna read or listen to for however long we were gonna be gone fit in my wife's purse and my small carry-on bag. The reading experience with an actual e-reader is no different than a physical book once you get used to it - took me about a half hour before the novelty wore off and I was just lost in the book, like I always had been.

The only time I still occasionally buy a physical book is a large coffee table book with a lot of illustrations / photographs in them. I can think of maybe half a dozen of those I've bought over the past 10-12 years, plus a number of self-published photo books I made back when I was heavily into photography.

-Ray
Old 04-20-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Yeah, I got a Kindle not long after they came out, in I guess 2008. My brother got one of the very first ones in 2007 and talked me into checking it out. I got over the "real book" thing really quickly. Before that, when my wife and I went on vacation, we'd pack one suitcase almost entirely with books and CDs to have while we were away. With Kindles and MP3 players, everything we were gonna read or listen to for however long we were gonna be gone fit in my wife's purse and my small carry-on bag. The reading experience with an actual e-reader is no different than a physical book once you get used to it - took me about a half hour before the novelty wore off and I was just lost in the book, like I always had been.

The only time I still occasionally buy a physical book is a large coffee table book with a lot of illustrations / photographs in them. I can think of maybe half a dozen of those I've bought over the past 10-12 years, plus a number of self-published photo books I made back when I was heavily into photography.

-Ray
One aspect of my kindle that I have really come to appreciate is the dictionary. By touching a word you can get a dictionary explanation. Last time I had a paper book in my hand I absentmindedly touched a word looking for it's meaning, it didn't work, duh.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I got pushed into the Kindle and at first I told everyone that it would never take the place of the feel of paper in my hand. But now I read everything on it. I have my music and set lists on it, several apps like ultimateguitar and MobileSheets Pro, and enough books to keep me occupied for years. I would be lost without it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-20-2021, 08:39 AM

Another vote for Powells, in Portland. Three floors taking up an entire city block, new and used. It's an amazing place. You can get lost in there for hours.

The last year's been hard on them, what with everything going on. Hopefully, things will be looking better soon. It's been too long since I've been in there.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic