The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2024, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquivel View Post
I had the opportunity to play the Dreadnought and OM Laureate series at my local guitar store. My two biggest complaints on both models is the finish is too thick and really does dampen the volume and tone. The second complaint is that the set up is low at the nut and buzzes on open strings. I also noticed fret leveling was not up to par either, which is something I have consistently noticed on Alvarez guitars that are not Yairi.

I will add that I like Alvarez and have no animosity toward their products, this is just my honest opinion after spending some time with both models available.
Disconcerting.

These sound like very valid complaints for $1400 guitars that have been marketed to set such high (beyond Masterworks; almost Yairi-like quality) expectations in a mostly mail-order world.

I have played (and was quite impressed with) a few brand-new Alvarez MD60BG and MF60OM that didn't have these issues/concerns at a much lower price. IMO they did represent great value.

Like many, I've seen several Alvarez build-up videos of Laureates and I've been waiting for some AGF firsthand reviews. I hope my local Alvarez dealers get a few on the wall soon.

I would still welcome the opportunity to play one (or more) myself, but possibly with somewhat lower expectations. I'll be as open minded as possible. However, a thick (voice-suppressing) finish is a disappointment for me regardless of brand.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 02-19-2024 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Disconcerting.

These sound like very valid complaints for $1400 guitars that have been marketed to set such high (beyond Masterworks; almost Yair-like quality) expectations in a mostly mail-order world.

I have played (and was quite impressed with) a few brand-new Alvarez MD60BG and MF60OM that didn't have these issues/concerns at a much lower price. IMO they did represent great value.

Like many, I've seen several Alvarez build-up videos of Laureates and I've been waiting for some AGF firsthand reviews. I hope my local Alvarez dealers get a few on the wall soon.

I would still welcome the opportunity to play one (or more) myself, but possibly with somewhat lower expectations. I'll be as open minded as possible. However, a thick (voice-suppressing) finish is a disappointment for me regardless of brand.

I would agree that some of their Masterwork series guitars have impressed me more.

I definitely say you should try one for yourself. Your experience may be different. It’s not a bad guitar by any means but it does not interest me when there are better options for that price range.

Gibson J-15 Walnut Burst

PRS Custom 24 S2
Old 02-19-2024, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquivel View Post
I would agree that some of their Masterwork series guitars have impressed me more.

I definitely say you should try one for yourself. Your experience may be different. It’s not a bad guitar by any means but it does not interest me when there are better options for that price range.
Ahh... 'tis just the grain of salt I plan to take. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:49 PM

Default Bi level brige

The direct coupled bridge is exclusive to Alveraz Yairi and probably the Japanese Yairi line. The one piece that looks bi level is the Alveraz line. It probably wasn't used for the Laurette line because it has nothing to do with Yairi and Alveraz wanted something that looked more traditional than their regular line.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:55 PM

Ever heard of Eastman? Not much of a joke.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:01 PM

I pulled the trigger on a dread a few weeks ago. I needed a guitar to gig with. I wanted rosewood back and sides and I didn’t want to spend more than $1500.

So far, I am very pleased with my purchase. The guitar finish does seem a little thick, but it is very loud and a bit bright. Some of that might be from the XS strings that ship on the guitar. I find them to be a bit zingy when new. The hi-fi pick up sounds great. It’s much better than the Fishman VT enhance, and some of the other electronics I’ve tried and guitars at this price range. I use a tuner and a Baggs session DI then go straight to the board. I’ve used it live three times in a band with two electrics, two vocalists, bass, drums and keyboards. That can be a crowded space, but the guitar cut through the mix very nicely..

Unplugged, this guitar has been very enjoyable too. It is comfortable to play and the fretwork is great, no issues. I haven’t had a rosewood back and sides guitar in more than 30 years. The tone is wonderful, as is the sustain and the clarity of the notes. I am not a connoisseur of fine instrument woods, but the top on this thing is gorgeous. It is supposed to be AAAA Sitka spruce. There is definitely some streaking and the grain looks great. The Ebony fretboard is also very nice.

Putting aside used guitars, if you wanted a new solid rosewood back and sides instrument for under $1500. Then this is certainly a contender.

Last edited by AdamAgain; 04-02-2024 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Wrong word choice
Old 04-03-2024, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks, AdamAgain, for sharing your experience of your new Laureate series guitar. I hope that it serves you well.
It’s good to have a number of good choices in that price range.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-29-2024, 02:57 AM
Charter Member

I'm currently looking for a smaller bodied spruce/rosewood with electronics and came across the Laureate OM. Unfortunately I can't play one first as they are not stocked anywhere.
On the 'China' subject, I just took possession of an Eastman AC522CE in the Gold Burst. I got it at about 2/3 the cost of a new one but even at regular price I'd be happy. This would literally be a $3500 guitar if US made and it plays and sounds like one.
Alvarez MD60 Herringbone
Guild GAD-50

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion