The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-12-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Default PSA - McPherson Touring

There's a used one hanging on the wall in the acoustic guitar room at the Bloomington, MN Guitar Center, for $1795.

Seems to be in as-new condition. If anyone's after one of these, it looks like a pretty good deal as MAP for a new one is $2999 - LAGS price is $2400.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-12-2019, 06:00 PM
Guest 928

David; Nice pointing.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
There's a used one hanging on the wall in the acoustic guitar room at the Bloomington, MN Guitar Center, for $1795.

Seems to be in as-new condition. If anyone's after one of these, it looks like a pretty good deal as MAP for a new one is $2999 - LAGS price is $2400.
It is a good thing we are leaving town for a bit, since I really don't need a third Touring. If anybody is looking for a nice, quality travel size guitar, this could be just the ticket.

There are a couple of things that affect the new price of either a Touring or Sable. If it has the "gold package" (gold Schaller tuners and gold EVO frets) and honeycomb top, that is the more expensive version. The less expensive version has the standard chrome tuners (I don't know what they are since I don't have that) and nickel frets and the weave top. I don't think it is a big price difference, but in my opinion, the gold package and honeycomb top looks nicer. I can't say if the Schaller tuners are better than the chrome, but if I understand correctly, the gold EVO frets will last longer than nickel frets.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-12-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
There are a couple of things that affect the new price of either a Touring or Sable. If it has the "gold package" (gold Schaller tuners and gold EVO frets) and honeycomb top, that is the more expensive version. The less expensive version has the standard chrome tuners (I don't know what they are since I don't have that) and nickel frets and the weave top.
Tony
This one is definitely the basic, not the gold.
Cordoba Stage

Old 10-12-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This one is definitely the basic, not the gold.
Thanks. Good to know. I am sure the quality and playability are equal to my Tourings with the gold package. McPherson goes all the way in their products.

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks. Good to know. I am sure the quality and playability are equal to my Tourings with the gold package. McPherson goes all the way in their products.
I have to say that I was surprised by how heavy it seemed for its size. Also, the finish on the back and sides seemed much more Ovation-like than I expected. I removed the soundhole plug, and even on the inside, there's zero evidence of any carbon fiber weave.

Nicely set up, though, and a sweet-sounding little guitar.
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by David Eastwood; 10-12-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

The Cargo seems a bit heavy for its size too, and to me the Touring is what the Cargo would be when it grows up. I like the finish on the back and sides because it doesn't slide around, though for me it doesn't really matter since I use a strap. These Tourings seem rather deep, certainly deeper body than the Cargo.

When purchased, these come with both a very nice plush hard shell case that fits the Touring like a glove AND a high quality gig bag, along with two saddles for a low or medium action (McPherson does the two saddle thing with all their guitars), and the sound hole plug. With all those goodies, I wonder whether, when they show up on the used market, they would typically still have all that stuff.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Touring

I recently took a Kevin Michael touring in trade. It came with all the goodies and both cases as you described. I planned to play it for a bit and then sell/trade it for something else. The little guy has really grown on me. It plays and sounds excellent and for a travel size guitar its sound is big. My only gripe is the neck width feels a little small but the tone more than makes up for it. For those of us with small hands or are are uncomfortable with big necks this is great option.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamill View Post
I recently took a Kevin Michael touring in trade. It came with all the goodies and both cases as you described. I planned to play it for a bit and then sell/trade it for something else. The little guy has really grown on me. It plays and sounds excellent and for a travel size guitar its sound is big. My only gripe is the neck width feels a little small but the tone more than makes up for it. For those of us with small hands or are are uncomfortable with big necks this is great option.
The nut width on my Tourings are 1 3/4", with saddle spacing of 2 3/16". That is just like some Taylors I used to own. It took some careful attention to technique to adjust to this, but I did it and now it is comfortable. I also find the neck shape to be comfortable.

There are a fair number of variables to the feel of the neck, and I am sure I only know of a few. What I have identified is the nut width, specifically string spacing at the nut and also at the saddle and the shape of the neck.

I have not been able to take to the necks on the Rainsongs I have played, but seem to be OK with other guitars after a few minutes. My personal preference has long been for a wide nut and string spacing, but it was worth the effort to take to the Touring - about as carefree a guitar as I could hope for.

For whatever reason, I did not take to the earlier Kevin Michael versions of the Touring. But when the current honeycomb version came along, it worked for me. Since I don't have access to the earlier Kevin Michael version, I could not tell you what differences there might be that would have had that effect on me.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-13-2019, 08:35 PM

I really like my just like Tony’s Touring. Just did a lil Touring around with it... sounded real nice sitting around doing some background music.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-14-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I really like my just like Tony’s Touring. Just did a lil Touring around with it... sounded real nice sitting around doing some background music.
Weeeelllll… I didn't bring my Touring down here to Arkansas. There wasn't room by the time my wife and her sister loaded their stuff into the car. So, I suppose I will HAVE TO buy a guitar down here.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-14-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Thats true AGF spirit right there!
Old 10-14-2019, 05:56 PM
Guest 928

tb;

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Weeeelllll… I didn't bring my Touring down here to Arkansas. There wasn't room by the time my wife and her sister loaded their stuff into the car. So, I suppose I will HAVE TO buy a guitar down here.

Tony
Arkansas? You'll surely be able to find a banjo or two.
Cordoba Stage

Old 10-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Arkansas? You'll surely be able to find a banjo or two.
Bet I could. Da da da Duh Da! Nee nee nee nee nee nee, nee nee noo!

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber