The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-27-2019, 01:41 PM

Default PRS players.......a question...

Any of you PRS players tried one of their imports, SE or S-2? What do you think of their very successful transition to marketing lower cost models, from Asia?
For so many years, I think many good players would avoid the PRS core models due to cost, or not wanting anything different than Gibson, Gretsch, Fender, etc. I am very impressed with an SE Baritone 6 string I bought. Like the USA models, great craftsmanship and finishing, very good sound and great playability.

When I got my 1st McCarty in 1997, my purist, pro-guitarist brother wouldn't even play it, and exclaimed "Who famous even uses or endorses those"? Things have really changed since then. Thoughts??
Old 09-27-2019, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Any of you PRS players tried one of their imports, SE or S-2? What do you think of their very successful transition to marketing lower cost models, from Asia?
For so many years, I think many good players would avoid the PRS core models due to cost, or not wanting anything different than Gibson, Gretsch, Fender, etc. I am very impressed with an SE Baritone 6 string I bought. Like the USA models, great craftsmanship and finishing, very good sound and great playability.

When I got my 1st McCarty in 1997, my purist, pro-guitarist brother wouldn't even play it, and exclaimed "Who famous even uses or endorses those"? Things have really changed since then. Thoughts??
The only PRS and currently only electric I own, is a CE 24 USA made , but have only played a few SE's. And they were pretty nice guitars in general and especially so at the price point I thought.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-28-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:53 PM

I own a Singlecut Korina SE and it's a darned nice guitar. I replaced the pickups only because the stock pickups had too high of an output and I wanted the output to match my other electrics. That was so I didn't have to change my OD pedal settings. The stock pickups sounded fine. My SE feels and plays great.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 09-27-2019, 08:24 PM

I have one of each. Unlike my Gibsons, both PRS stay in tune. The Blue Korean made SE has been converted into a Jerry Garcia style with three Dimarzio Super Distortion Humbuckers, On Board Effects Loop, Push/Pull volume and tone pots for single coils, a six position pickup switch, and a preamp/buffer. Remarkably, the Dimarzios are the cleanest double coil pickups I own, cleaner and clearer than TTop PAFs, Throbaks, and Duncans.

My McCarty USA Double Cut Gold Top with Harmonic Design soap bar pickups. It is as close to a ‘59 Les Paul TV Special as I can get.

I basically put my SG, Les Paul Jr., and Melody Maker away since I got the PRS guitars.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:56 AM

I have a Korean-made SE Custom. I think it is a very nice guitar. I bought it largely to have a back-up to my Gibson Les Paul. I prefer the Les Paul, but it is always good to have a spare and the SE does just fine.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:03 AM

I had an SE and loved it! The only electric that I have bought new. The finish was great and I loved the playability. I gifted it to my son as we have a one in one out policy in my house. I acquired a Les Paul that has become my number one. Otherwise I would still have it.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
For what it's worth, the S2 guitars are made in the US; only the SE guitars are imported. Here's PRS's original press release on the S2s, and a review that gives a little more detail:

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php..._new_s2_series

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/g...nglecut-596856

I've had both. The SE Santana model was fun, very well built, and high quality. I don't really like tremolos, though, so it didn't stay in the collection long. The pickups were decent, but if I had kept it, I probably would have replaced those.

I just recently got a new-to-me 2014 S2 single-cut semi-hollow, and it's my favorite guitar at the moment. The biggest difference from the more expensive Core models is that the top isn't as nicely carved, but I can definitely live with that. The S2 sounds great and makes me want to play more--not sure you can ask for much more from a guitar. New prices on the S2s seem to have crept up a bit from their original introduction, but used prices are still reasonable.

I really like the McCarty 594, but if they made an S2 version of it with the same specs and less "frills" (carving on the top, inlays, etc.), I'd probably jump on it in a heartbeat. Functionally, the S2s don't seem to be much different from the Core models (IMHO). (That said, I'm also not the greatest guitar player in the world--maybe there are differences that someone beyond my skill level would notice.)
Old 09-30-2019, 08:35 AM

I've had a USA built Custom 22 since 97 and bought a blue Korean made SSS Strat style SE about 10 years ago. I upgraded the PUPS and loved everything about it. I sold it for money to buy a bass and have regretted it since.
But since I bought my Music Man guitar I have not touched my PRS, Tele or Strat and I don't envision playing them anytime soon or maybe even ever again. I've tried to pick em all up and strum a bit but I set them right back down and grab the Music Man.

I have yet to see or play a SE PRS that wasn't worth the price. They are quality instruments no doubt about it but some are approaching, if not going over, the $1000 mark. I think I paid $375 for mine, used of course.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:23 AM

I used to play an SC245 (USA model, not the import), but about a year ago I picked up a S2 Studio model and was absolutely blown away. Fit, finish, playability is every bit as good as my SC245 or any other American PRS I've played.

I think the SE are a step down from the S2 or the "core" line, but are great guitars for the money. For the money though, the S2 is hard to beat.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:19 AM

I own a Korean made SE Zach Myers and I'm very impressed with it's construction. Mine is a 2017 model. The neck and fretboard are very comfortable. I'm happy with the sound. They recently either moved their SE line to Indonesia or added Indonesia as a factory.

Fender PM-3 Deluxe 000

'62 Silvertone Archtop
Old 10-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueridgebound View Post
I own a Korean made SE Zach Myers and I'm very impressed with it's construction. Mine is a 2017 model. The neck and fretboard are very comfortable. I'm happy with the sound. They recently either moved their SE line to Indonesia or added Indonesia as a factory.

This is the only model I loved enough to buy. I had one for a few years. Really nice tone and a thick C neck. But I like longer scale lengths and this one was short.

If you can swing the higher price I really love the core models.

I have owned 11 core models. I am down to two. A maple backed, satin finish, 25.25" scale length, strat copy (DC3). This guitar stays in tune with heavy bar use even with 9-42 serts.
Then my 2005 McCarty 10 top with a solid rosewood neck, dual hum. Fabulous quality. Really nice feel compared to the back of the neck finish that Paul unfortunately produces on 90% of his 3-$30K guitars. Paul has top parts that really make a difference. Their tuning stability is so comforting in a long set. They record well. They are better guitars than the SE for top shelf pro level tools.

The SE models are super guitars at a nice price.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Even in the ancient days of 1997 the PRS artists list was substantial because they make some fine fine guitars wherever they're made.
I tried to post the full list here but it's about 18000 characters and would be about a mile long so I'll just post a link https://www.prsguitars.com/artists/

I think my HB12 is wonderful and just love it. Have a great day!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars