The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
outstanding Glenn. thx for posting that.
Hi rmp,

Thank you very much for your comments! It's great to know that you felt this came out well! I appreciate your watching!

- Glenn
Old 09-20-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
That is just superb. I love your Guild F-512, there is nothing like them in the 12 string universe. Then there is the use of the thumbpick as a flatpick -great.

More please.
Hi Cypress Knee,

Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I do agree with you on the F-512. I mentioned on another thread recently that I have been a 12-string nut since I was 18 years old, so that is 53 years now. The first time I heard a Guild 12-string was when I was 18 (I had a Harmony 12-string at the time), and I thought, HOLY COW!, what a sound! I was able to pick up a used F-212 in 1975 and recently gave that to my son when a couple of years ago I acquired this slightly used F-512, built in 2013. I don't think there is anything like the F-512 in the 12-string universe, either.

Obviously the 12-string guitar is not right for every guitar song, but when it works, it really works well. And it turns out that it sounds really good in DADGAD and Open D tuning.

Regarding the use of the thumb pick as a flat pick, I learned that technique also when I was 18 years old from a book from Bob Gibson, who was also a 12-string enthusiast.

I am so pleased that you like this version! Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment!

- Glenn
Old 09-20-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert_ View Post
This fits you very well. Great performance.
Thank you Bert,

I appreciate your comments! Thank you for taking the time to watch!

- Glenn
Old 09-20-2019, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
This has me GASing for a nice 12-string. Great job man, this one works really well for ya!
Hi Dustin,

Thanks for your comments! I'm so pleased that you feel this came out well!

You might have fun with a 12-string and very few people who do the complex kind of instrumental playing you are doing use a 12-string. Not that a 12-string would ever replace the wonderful 6-strings you have, but it could provide a new flavor for you to provide a change of pace. Who knows...

Trouble is, you don't find really good 12-strings like this hanging around on very many guitar store walls. Taylor makes some nice 12-strings and you might find one of these to try out just to see how it might fit you.

Part of the reason I play with a thumb pick is because of the 12-string. Some people have figured out how to play a 12-string with bare fingers, and when they do, it sounds good. Leo Kottke, I think, plays with bare fingers these days. But I have never found the key to how to do this -- thus, the thumb pick for me.

Hope you are doing well Dustin!

- Glenn
Old 09-20-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Sorry for the confusion, you mentioned the photos were from your area of Washington, which is what I was referrring to.
Hi Jeremy,

Oh yes, I remember that you lived on the Kitsap Peninsula for a while. I did, too, for a few years. I'm also sorry for my confusion! Thanks for the clarification!

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2019, 12:50 PM

Another great rendition here Glenn...Sweet playing. Your playing is always at such a high level. You are really great. I love the way you play the 12er....

I may want to use you on one of my recordings, if the opportunity comes up.

I just got my recording back from Nashville which I posted here "First Love, Last Love" & you would fit right in with the players I use. They are all top level guys like you. The 12 string would have gone in great on this new tune

You should check the tune out on the Forum. It's called "First Love, Last Love"

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 09-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Another great rendition here Glenn...Sweet playing. Your playing is always at such a high level. You are really great. I love the way you play the 12er....

I may want to use you on one of my recordings, if the opportunity comes up.

I just got my recording back from Nashville which I posted here "First Love, Last Love" & you would fit right in with the players I use. They are all top level guys like you. The 12 string would have gone in great on this new tune

You should check the tune out on the Forum. It's called "First Love, Last Love"
Hi Steve!

Thank you very much for the kind words! I am so glad you like how this came out, and I very much appreciate that you have enjoyed my other videos. I will check out "First Love, Last Love."

I am not sure how I might help you in the future with a recording, but if you think there is a song where it makes sense please contact me. I have very good recording equipment in my studio, so if you were to provide a wave file on some third party site that I could download, I could add a channel or to of guitar and reverse the procedure and you could see what you think.

Thanks again for your kind words.

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2019, 07:30 PM

Glenn, wonderful job. I did not know this song, but like it, will dig more into Dan F's music. Love that Guild, you're doing many wonderful songs with it lately...well played.

If you didn't identify the photos as being largely of WA coast, I would have thought they were Maine...nice blend of the coasts.

Thank you Glenn for sharing your music with us.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Glenn, wonderful job. I did not know this song, but like it, will dig more into Dan F's music. Love that Guild, you're doing many wonderful songs with it lately...well played.

If you didn't identify the photos as being largely of WA coast, I would have thought they were Maine...nice blend of the coasts.

Thank you Glenn for sharing your music with us.
Thanks so much Carmel Cedar,

I'm really glad you feel that this song came out okay. It was new to me, too, but I learned to really like it as I got to know it. And thanks, too, for your comment on the Guild F512 12-string. I really like this guitar, too. Also, this was my first time playing in Open D. So that tuning is new to me, also.

Regarding the two coasts, I think there are a lot of similarities. A lobster boat on the Maine coast probably has a different look than a crab boat or a salmon boat over on the Washington coast, but fog is fog, waves are waves, a rolling sea pretty much feels the same. I have been out on the ocean a few times, either fishing for salmon and for sea bass. I do okay out there, but some people really do get seasick. Going out across the bar on Grays Harbor gets very rough and waves can get quite high. It's not quite as scary as going over the Columbia River bar, but it's challenging enough for me. A 55 ft fishing boat, steel hull or not, feels pretty small in heavy seas. I don't own a boat myself; I have gone out several times on the charter boats out of Westport.

I always appreciate hearing from you on these songs, Carmel Cedar. Thanks so much for your comments and support over the years here on the AGF.

- Glenn
Old 09-24-2019, 06:49 AM

As always, I enjoyed this cover very much!

I have a special request for you. Would you consider playing Little River Band's "Cool Change?" I play it solo because that's all I do, but the song was really designed to have melodies, and I think you would do a great job with it.

Either way, thanks for posting for us. It is always inspiring to hear you play, especially the 12-stringers!
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 09-24-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
As always, I enjoyed this cover very much!

I have a special request for you. Would you consider playing Little River Band's "Cool Change?" I play it solo because that's all I do, but the song was really designed to have melodies, and I think you would do a great job with it.

Either way, thanks for posting for us. It is always inspiring to hear you play, especially the 12-stringers!
Hi SoCalSurf!

Thanks for watching and taking the time to comment! I am really glad you like this.

Yes, I would consider playing the Little River Band's "Cool Change," but it's been quite a while since I have listened to that song, so I need to go look it up and see if it works well for my voice. I will put the song on my list!

Thanks for the suggestion.

- Glenn
Old 09-27-2019, 04:44 AM

Well done my friend. Fogelberg reminds me of early free form radio days in Mesa/Phoenix.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-27-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Well done my friend. Fogelberg reminds me of early free form radio days in Mesa/Phoenix.
Hi Murph!

Thank you for your comments and for watching! Fogelberg's music is reminiscent of 70s FM radio to me, and I do miss that kind of programming. Thanks for taking the time to comment, both here and on my YouTube channel, Murph! It's greatly appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 09-27-2019, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Glenn,

You aren’t kidding when you say that your Guild in open D sounds big - it sounds huge!! What a great sound, great playing and singing as always, and I also really enjoyed the scenery in your video. Wonderful work!
Old 09-27-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Hi Glenn,

You aren’t kidding when you say that your Guild in open D sounds big - it sounds huge!! What a great sound, great playing and singing as always, and I also really enjoyed the scenery in your video. Wonderful work!
Hi Larry,

Thanks so much for watching and for your comments! I'm really glad you like how this came out!

Yes, I agree, that F512 in open D sure makes a big sound! I found it really motivating when singing this song, kind of like dealing with the raw power of the ocean! The sound just takes you away as a player and singer.

Thank you for your kind words!

I hope you are continuing to recover well. I hope all is well for you and continuing to get better.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell