The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Saw Don McLean last night in So Cal

I'd never seen him ever but always loved his songs from my childhood.

It was a very good show. He is 73 he told us, but his voice is in fine form and shows only a slight deepened tone than what we know from his recordings.

He played some jump blues and rockabilly and has an impressive four piece band. His piano player has been with him for over 30 years and was Chet Atkins' musical director.

The audience was quite stiff unfortunately, so much so that he cracked a joke at us ("You all are a quiet audience. Are you okay?"). I don't think the audience were as much die hard fans as they were regular season ticket holders to the Lewis Playhouse and Cultural Center. At one point he told the audience we hadn't had enough to drink yet, that's why we were so quiet. That got a big laugh.

Everyone sang along to "American Pie" of course and that was great fun. I almost remembered every verse! Then when we cheered for an encore, he played "Vincent." Absolutely wonderful. My seat was very close (about 8 rows from the stage) so I could really see all his chord fingerings and nuances. (I am learning the song currently so it was great to see it played by the songwriter himself).

My only complaint is that his Martin D28 was a tad out of tune and he never retuned it once. But I guess that's the way it was meant to be....

I highly recommend catching a show if he comes to your town. I plan to see him again when the tour swings back my way in a couple of months.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:38 AM

I've mentioned this in a previous post....I saw him in the late 70's and half way through American Pie one of his strings broke. He soldiered on the rest of the song. When he was done he said "I feel like I cheated you," restrung his guitar and did the song over! I'd love to see him again.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
My only complaint is that his Martin D28 was a tad out of tune and he never retuned it once. But I guess that's the way it was meant to be....
It's funny you mention that because I saw him play a Martin 00-21 and it, too, was out of tune. Not going to question his ear, of course, and wonder if that is just his thing. He's too good to not notice or to not care.

Glad you enjoyed the show.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 01-20-2019, 08:01 PM

Awright!

Thanks for the report.
I'd love to see him "live", and from 8 rows back ..Wow, what a treat!

Did he do my two personal fav's?
- Castles in the Air
- And I love You So

I recall a gig a few years back, when a lady pranced up to our stage waving a five dollar tip asking for "American Pie".
As I turned to find it in a book I keep on hand for such, I caught the eye of the guy on my left with a look of..
"Don't do it!! I'll walk off stage if you find that page in that book!"

I guess he'd played that one a few too many times back in the early 70's, but I always find the audience loves it and sings along.. as you said.. on most of the verses.
But frankly, I need the book anymore to remember all the words.

My favorite Don McLean interview line was his response to the question--
"So, whats is the meaning of 'American Pie'?

"What does it mean?
It means I never have to another day in my life, that's what it means."

Sure glad he continues to work now and then.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
Awright!

Thanks for the report.
I'd love to see him "live", and from 8 rows back ..Wow, what a treat!

Did he do my two personal fav's?
- Castles in the Air
- And I love You So

I recall a gig a few years back, when a lady pranced up to our stage waving a five dollar tip asking for "American Pie".
As I turned to find it in a book I keep on hand for such, I caught the eye of the guy on my left with a look of..
"Don't do it!! I'll walk off stage if you find that page in that book!"

I guess he'd played that one a few too many times back in the early 70's, but I always find the audience loves it and sings along.. as you said.. on most of the verses.
But frankly, I need the book anymore to remember all the words.

My favorite Don McLean interview line was his response to the question--
"So, whats is the meaning of 'American Pie'?

"What does it mean?
It means I never have to another day in my life, that's what it means."

Sure glad he continues to work now and then.
He didn’t do “Castles” but he did do “And I Love You So.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN