The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Man, that is some serious recording equipment!
...but that dark mandolin laying in the dark chair looks like an accident waiting to happen!
Old 08-01-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
The limitations are there though, mainly the lack of multiple time signature options. You only get 4/4, 3/4, and 6/8, I don't know what's keeping Apple to add some odd meter options.
What version of GB are you running? You should be able to change it to anything you want:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH24958...E&locale=en_AE

EDIT: Ok, I just realized that you may be referring to the iOS version of GarageBand, not the Mac version. If that's true, though, it sure seems odd why they would restrict it so.

Last edited by jhmulkey; 08-01-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
...but that dark mandolin laying in the dark chair looks like an accident waiting to happen!
Don't worry the mandolin is all right, it's not like it lives in the chair. I just wanted it at arms length for the song I was recording
Old 08-01-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
What version of GB are you running? You should be able to change it to anything you want:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH24958...E&locale=en_AE

EDIT: Ok, I just realized that you may be referring to the iOS version of GarageBand, not the Mac version. If that's true, though, it sure seems odd why they would restrict it so.

Yeah I have the iOS version.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:42 PM

Question ¿ Your Recording ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
Yeah, you don't mention budget. Computer-based set ups will set you back a bit for the elements you will need. Plus, the know-how to use it properly. You do mention wanting to keep it simple--to just record a basic guitar/voice combo. In this situation, I always recommend the Zoom H5 handheld. Will give you 4 tracks (2 onboard, 2 XLR). And the XY mics sound incredible. Everything you need right out of the box and you can record anywhere. You could then import to GarageBand for editing or further tweaking as required.
Hello Fairlight :

Outstanding recording and playing .

¿ Was this done with a ZOOM ?
I have a X/Y set up on my Tascam
DR44WL they are ( your's too ) very
fine pieces of equipment .

I enjoyed the [ feel ] of this song , you
are quite a talented person

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 08-02-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
Just placed an order for the following:

Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Mic: AKG P220
Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M30x
Mic Cable: Mogami Gold Studio XLR-XLR [Is this the right cable? Can't find anything about the right cable on the mic's website...

Will run this into my home PC - only thing left is finding a DAW I can easily worth with. The simpler the better..

Would appreciate any thoughts on the above - thanks!
Assuming its a standard mic cable, it will be XLR(female) to XLR(male). The female end connects to the mic (if you look at the mic connector, you'll see 3 pins) and the male end to the Scarlett.

The Scarlett will connect to your computer by USB - use one of the rear USB ports, rather than one of the front ones. You'll need to go to the Focusrite web site and download the correct drivers for your O/S (Windows ___). Install the drivers first, then plug in the Scarlett.
In your DAW (whatever you choose) you will need to select the Scarlett as your audio input and output device. Speakers (monitors) and headphones should be plugged into the Scarlett, not your computer's audio ports.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-02-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
4) The affordable condenser mics of today are so good, he will never "need" an upgrade. No Gefells or Neumanns (or even Shures) needed. There are too many great small and large condensers on the market today between $75-$150 each.
Remember when you first started playing guitar? You had an aha moment when you realized why the more expensive guitar was better and would make you so much happier.

Your $75-$150 condenser mic and cheap interface will be like that first guitar. You'll see :-).
Old 08-02-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Remember when you first started playing guitar? You had an aha moment when you realized why the more expensive guitar was better and would make you so much happier.

Your $75-$150 condenser mic and cheap interface will be like that first guitar. You'll see :-).
I agree. (And hello, Brent.) IME low budget gear can get a good sound if you find its sweet spot and stay within it, but that takes a lot of time and effort/skill and makes for more limitations, and perhaps inconsistency in practical use. Certain mikes come to mind, guitars also.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:25 PM

While I understand that asking folks on this forum what gear they use to record can reveal a range of options to explore, it has some obvious limitations.
As far as the choices people make when it comes to acquiring gear we all have our biases, idiosyncrasies, and personal dealings which influence what we recommend. And that doesn't even account for style of music and/or technique. What I'm trying to say is this. The OP should experiment as much as possible and accept that after reading everyone's advice he still has to find out what works for himself. By way of example:
When I first decided to set up my own home studio I exhaustively researched microphones and decided on a matched pair of Gefell M300s. There are several people on this forum who use these mikes and get superb results. I struggled for a couple of years but couldn't duplicate those results. In the meantime I acquired a second hand Sennheiser MKH 800 P48.
The recordings with that mic were much better. The mic sounded so good I bought a second Senny 800 P48. The few recordings I've done since acquiring the second Senny have confirmed my decision to get it.
So, am I recommending the OP buy a pair of Sennheiser MKH 800 P48s? Not at all. I have no idea what gear will work for the OP. What I am recommending is that the OP keep an open mind and accept that setting up a home recording studio is a process with a steep learning curve and even a modest approach takes a lot of hands on experimentation.
That said, I hope the OP enjoys the journey to the fullest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD