The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-20-2011, 06:40 AM

Default Mixing.....the lightbulb moment

I don't quite know how to explain it, but I think I might be getting the hang of mixing/mastering. It's a never ending process I know, but with these new monitors, thanks might be looking up.

So I figured I'd get some feedback if possible. I re-recorded A Bikini & Sunglasses, and tried to get to a "CD Level" and tried to match the original with some effects. The links are the original and the mastered:

Original File:
http://www.box.net/shared/9hxi8iqnio

Mastered File:
http://www.box.net/shared/ptgb9l72xf
Old 03-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that is amazing, such an improvement. I would be interested in the process you went through. Great playing, too! Is that an alt tuning?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks alot! I am lucky enough to work in a place that I could get ahold of some waves plugins. So that combined wmwith the ones I bought a couple years ago when doing my Cd I was able to learn a few things about the presents and modify the presets to my liking.

I'll go into more detail with a video if I get time, screenshots if not. Hopefully can put something together by Tuesday.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Oh and yes its an open D. A cool tune by Masaaki Kishibe.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:03 AM

HUGE difference!!!!!!!!!!!! nice job!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

It's very hard to tell if improved from those two samples.

When you make a post recording tweak you always need to compare it a comparable volume level. So the first thing is to bring up the volume level before you make tweaks and before and after comparisons. For example, say you use equalization to bring up a certain range of frequencies. That will increase the overall volume level, so kick up the volume of preequalized comparison so volume levels are close to the same on average in the before and after. Also do your tweaking at a comfortable volume level, say around 84 dbs. The human ears processes the bass treble balance differently at different volumes.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-20-2011, 11:55 AM

It wasn't so much a post recording tweak as an over-all understand of why I'm doing what I'm doing.

The only other file I have of a recording is here:
http://www.box.net/shared/6vxly5ds2j

I like the new recording much better, I think it resonates better, is better played, and the mixing of it worked better.

Thank you for the feedback though, it's still very much a learning process!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Joe, nice playing. I don't know how much critique you're looking for, but I have couple of suggestions for your track.

The original track's levels are very low. If you're recording at 24 bits, it's not a deal breaker, but I'd try to get a little more level. Your peak amplitude is around -20db, and your average is around -37db. I'd shoot for -6 db or so peak.

There's something wonky going on with phase. Both your original and mastered tracks make my ears spin a bit :-), and analysis tools tell me you have the two tracks about 120 degrees out of phase, in a pattern I haven't actually seen before. How are you micing the guitar?

The mastered track has some obvious compression artifacts, and sounds kind of zingy, a tad metallic to my ears, tho this is all a matter of taste. It's aggravated by the phase issue.

The biggest issue is the phase problem in the original. Fix that, and you'll find that getting a good sound in the mastering/mixing stage gets way easier!
Old 03-20-2011, 03:05 PM

Sorry I thought the second is much worse than the first.

I hear a lot hiss on the second. There is some audible hiss on the first as well but at a lower level.

The first has quite a nice, soft tone. The bass is a bit boomy and needs a little compression, maybe some EQ as well. Not too much though. It just needs smoothed out not concreted over. It could be proximity effect - try moving the mic back a foot or so if it's in really close.

On the other hand it could be that a little proximity effect might help to obtain this kind of warmer, deeper sound. You have to experiment with the balance of mic positions, EQ and (light) compression to find all the usable sounds you can get from your instrument. Every guitar is different.

The second is too heavy handed on the processing, IMO. EQ'd too bright, too much reverb. Of course it's perfectly legitimate to use extreme effects settings to create new sounds but I'm not sure about this one.

Disclaimer: I'm listening on some Sony 7506 heaphones which do emphasise trebles a bit. That can make a dull mix sound better than it is and a bright one worse.

It is very interesting to look at the difference in "feel" because this shows how much the recording can affect the sound. The first is going in a softer, subtler more intimate direction which I liked a lot. The second is a more driving, in your face kind of sound. Both could be valid artistic decisions. It just depends what you're aiming for.

The recording chain is itself another instrument which you have to learn to play in order to get just the right sound for the piece.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

The mic is a Zoom H2, its as high as I can record at without veing overpowered by whitw noise. The effects are trying to mimic the original. I actually cant hear any artifacting, just the fingers releasing the strings. I also can't hear the hiss unless its in really cheap headphones. And even then I have to turn it up to where its uncomfortable for me to listen.

The whole phase thing I don't know how to fix as its one mic. Is it possible you are hearing the delay and chorus?

Keep em coming. Im soaking it in just need to understand about the phase thing. Others are beyond my control. Like boosting the original audio. I would love to have a stronger signal but can't produce one that is clean enough.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehempel View Post
The whole phase thing I don't know how to fix as its one mic. Is it possible you are hearing the delay and chorus?... Others are beyond my control. Like boosting the original audio.
Did you record with phase and chorus on the original during tracking? That could certainly mess things up. With the Zoom, can't you set the input volume level? You can also try positioning closer to get more level.

I don't know the Zoom H2, but this is the one with some sort of 4 mic arrangement, right? Could you have somehow recorded with the rear mics, or a mix of front and rear? That would create this sound.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:40 PM

I just got a zoom H1.
it has an auto switch.
have not used it yet enough to tell how good it works.
I just know that I always use the auto setting on
my cameras.
just a thought.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:50 PM

No. Clean record. 2 mics and 6in from the 12 fret
Old 03-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehempel View Post
No. Clean record. 2 mics and 6in from the 12 fret
Something odd going on. You wouldn't get this effect just from minor mic positioning changes in an XY mic setup. Here's Adobe Audition's phase view with a signal that's fairly wide, but basically in phase. XY, like the Zoom is supposed to be would be much narrower and even more in phase than this image:

In this tool, left and right is the width, and up down is phase. A mono signal will be a straight line, straight up. Here's your original track:

very wide, and mostly out of phase. This gives you a weird hollow sound that sort of makes your ears swim as you listen, very "phasey".
Old 03-20-2011, 05:18 PM

I dunno. Im stumped. I've used this position for everything. I even went to my car and listened, and it sounds normal. The one with the effects is supposed to have a bit of delay/chorus to it, butvit wouldn't he on the original....hmmmm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD