The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman197 View Post
Aw, man! Ain't fair!
Sorry! I do want him to finish the guitar eventually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markart View Post
I LOVE how he fleshed out that rosette. Very creative. He definitely thinks like an artist.. can't wait to see how this all comes together.
That's very true, it really is looking fantastic, I can't wait to see the closed box and check out how the mahogany sets off the rosette, and vice-versa...
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:20 PM

I love that rosette!
Old 12-10-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stehr View Post
I love that rosette!
I agree Joel, actually that's an understatement.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:29 AM

The rosette does look great !! I can hardly wait to see the bracing pattern that he uses on the top...Having Ervin Somogyi as a tutor must make an major artistic impact on his approach ....
Old 12-11-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
The rosette does look great !! I can hardly wait to see the bracing pattern that he uses on the top...Having Ervin Somogyi as a tutor must make an major artistic impact on his approach ....
Ha! Like that's going to happen!

No bracing/voicing shots on this thread guys, I've got them, but I'm not sharing!

All you need to do to get into the Somogyi voicing technique is buy the books, read them, read them again and then apply the 40 years of experience contained within to your own builds.

Simple!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 12-11-2010, 05:30 AM

Michael, I can understand why you can't post those voicing pics .. Tho,I did buy Somogyi's 50 dollar video (super fast shipping ) Great watch and very informative ... Ervin Just couldn't get himself to turn that box around ,and show us the inner workings of his fabulous sounding box that "tapped" incredibly... The "MAGICAL" Touch.....Propitiatory information .... Your Build looks incredible..And I'm sure it will employ Mr Kostals word class voicing techniques....
Old 12-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
Michael, I can understand why you can't post those voicing pics .. Tho,I did buy Somogyi's 50 dollar video (super fast shipping ) Great watch and very informative ... Ervin Just couldn't get himself to turn that box around ,and show us the inner workings of his fabulous sounding box that "tapped" incredibly... The "MAGICAL" Touch.....Propitiatory information .... Your Build looks incredible..And I'm sure it will employ Mr Kostals word class voicing techniques....
Yeah, that video is fantastic (and Jason's on it too!) I was sorry I missed Healdsburg 2009 but I'm really looking forward to playing my new guitar in concert there in 2011!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 12-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Yeah, that video is fantastic (and Jason's on it too!) I was sorry I missed Healdsburg 2009 but I'm really looking forward to playing my new guitar in concert there in 2011!

Can't wait to meet you there, Michael...and we'll both have some interesting new guitars (I hope) to fool around with....
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-11-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Can't wait to meet you there, Michael...and we'll both have some interesting new guitars (I hope) to fool around with....
Oh wow, you'll be there too? Fantastic, I'm really looking forward to meeting you too Larry!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 12-21-2010, 03:29 AM

In a flurry of pre-holiday activity Jason has voiced the guitar and closed the box! As I said before I won't be showing pics of the voicing process.

But... I am happy to share these!

Top signature

top glued

Top glued and cut to fit the sides, that rosette is looking great, even though it's still in the white!

On goes the back...

It's a box! Quick peek at the wedge here.

Next up are the bindings, butt-wedge, and purfling and then onto the neck, onwards!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 AM

Love to see the Somogyi touches and effect. That looks exceptional!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

looking great! I'm now in touch with Jason and planning on meeting with him next week to see if his guitars are a good match for me

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 12-23-2010, 09:11 AM

I am going to find a used Somogyi, buy it on a 3 day policy, and take 20 pictures of the inside of the guitar so we can put to rest the proprietary bracing talk. I don't see the big deal, it is fairly easy to find that out. And I am sure Kostal's is the same as Somogyi's.

I don't see any patents at the US Patent office under his name so can't be that proprietary LOL.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsanyone View Post
I am going to find a used Somogyi, buy it on a 3 day policy, and take 20 pictures of the inside of the guitar so we can put to rest the proprietary bracing talk. I don't see the big deal, it is fairly easy to find that out. And I am sure Kostal's is the same as Somogyi's.

I don't see any patents at the US Patent office under his name so can't be that proprietary LOL.
You could try that, although Ervin's bracing has constantly evolved through 40 years of building and what you'd see in an older guitar would not be the same as in today's instruments. It's not really a case of proprietary bracing, more the process itself and methodology behind it as pertains to THIS particular instrument.

Of course Jason Kostal uses the same techniques as his teacher, but that doesn't mean he's looking for the same results.

There are many luthiers who would be less than happy to see the insides of their work splashed over the internet and I can fully respect that.

I think your plan has one fatal flaw though, once you'd bought your second-hand Somogyi guitar (of any period) it would be a real challenge to give it back when the three days were up!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 12-24-2010, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsanyone View Post

Why bother? For any aspiring luthier, surely it's far more important to gain an understanding of their materials and the mechanics of what's driving the top.

The vast majority of modern guitars don't depart significantly from Martin's standard "X" brace and the two tone bars below it. That being the case, why is that guitars with such a bracing layout span the range from OK to stellar. I'm sure the results would vary to the same degree if luthiers lacking Somogyi's skills and knowledge were simply to cut across to his current bracing layout.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop