The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Well??? The answer, please?
Will reveal maybe tomorrow. I want a larger sample before blowing it up.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadu ridge View Post
It would surprise me if the OP posts much on AGF anymore.
Nah man, multivaribale calculus has been messing up my brain this whole day (I’ve been doing it this whole after and evening), all I can think now is a bunch of weird distorted shapes and particles. Just don’t got no time to respond.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
The playing was really good to me and since I’m a rhythm player WAYYYYYY better than I could do! To me, it sounds like my friends old Yamaha that he paid $100 for.
Thanks man
Old 10-16-2019, 09:16 AM

Bump. Will reveal later today.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:45 PM

It’s another ovation applause my friend bought for $200 haha. Who said it was rosewood again? You’re almost right, it’s a kinda synthetic rosewood called plastic.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:14 PM

Sounds okay. The performance is meh so that ultimately limits the impression it makes. Nothing profound has been revealed... Also, please tune it!

I have owned quite a few nice Ovation and Adamas guitars. They are frequently maligned, but they have a unique and often excellent sound, plus very good playability. You do have to play them well though, just like an expensive wood guitar.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
Sounds okay. The performance is meh so that ultimately limits the impression it makes. Nothing profound has been revealed... Also, please tune it!

I have owned quite a few nice Ovation and Adamas guitars. They are frequently maligned, but they have a unique and often excellent sound, plus very good playability. You do have to play them well though, just like an expensive wood guitar.
Thank you for commenting. I really like your recordings. In what specific ways do you think I can improve?
Old 10-16-2019, 07:10 PM

To improve:
1. Keep playing/practicing alone
2. Get with better players who will let you sit in as you learn. This is the
best way IMHO.
3. Be sure the string height to the neck is low but not so much that it
buzzes.
Low action makes playing easier when you are learning.
4. Use light gauge strings
5. Be patient
6. Don't take lessons
7. Learn some basic strumming/rhythms as well as finger picking
8. Learn what chords play well together like G-Em-C-D or C-Am-F-G etc
9. Take your practice time seriously and don't practice your mistakes
10. Use a good tuner before practicing
11. Have fun
12. Stay loose, be creative, play what you like
Old 10-16-2019, 09:12 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_J- View Post
See, I’ve been playing for four five years and haven’t been improving for a while. If you can share yours I’d be more than eager to learn from yours, so I can get better.

Two guitar comparison I did a little while ago:

Use Soundcloud so you can post WAV files. Those recordings don't sound that great on that site you used.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-16-2019, 10:56 PM

Ovations are fine guitars.

Anybody who needs that "proved" by some random audio test doesn't know guitars.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_J- View Post
Focus on the important part y'all! How much is this guitar?
No one can actually tell you that with any accuracy because too many variables are involved.
Those include, but are not limited to:
  • One track being much louder than the other.
  • The quality of the recordings being poor.
  • The player not really get the best out of either guitar.

Then there are things we don't know. For example, is each guitar fitted with strings that bring out the best tone for that guitar? Yes, that's going to be subjective but if an effort isn't made to make each guitar sound as good as possible, would any opinions of the bad sound actually matter?

Neither guitar is going to come off well in this when you do your reveal. If your purpose was to show that the more expensive guitar doesn't sound any better than the less expensive guitar (and since both sound bad that's actually the case), the biggest reason for that outcome is going to be user error. Not trying to be mean but you might consider taking this down and re-doing it while addressing some of the problems.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 10-16-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:43 AM

I hope the comments about the performance didn't come off as rude or hyper-critical.

If you weren't posting this in a provocative way to challenge listeners with "here's a cheap guitar that I think sounds good, maybe I can fool a few people" - then those comments wouldn't even be prompted. The playing is not bad if taken in a different context altogether.

A couple of thoughts since you asked:

My first feedback is to make sure your instrument is tuned well. Poor tuning or intonation just kills a musical performance stone cold dead, even if it's well-executed.

Study the players you admire, and critically watch/emulate their physical habits and manipulation of the guitar. How they hold the pick, attack the strings, strum, arpeggiate, etc. Some of these dynamics may not work for you, as we all have different anatomy, but through trial and error it can help you isolate tiny changes that will improve your approach.

Don't play things faster than you can cleanly do so, even if that's painfully slow. Muscle memory is built by repetition, but repeating something fast and sloppy will not make you better. Repeating it slowly will gradually allow you to play it faster.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Two guitar comparison I did a little while ago:

Use Soundcloud so you can post WAV files. Those recordings don't sound that great on that site you used.
Sounds great!
Old 10-17-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
No one can actually tell you that with any accuracy because too many variables are involved.
Those include, but are not limited to:
  • One track being much louder than the other.
  • The quality of the recordings being poor.
  • The player not really get the best out of either guitar.

Then there are things we don't know. For example, is each guitar fitted with strings that bring out the best tone for that guitar? Yes, that's going to be subjective but if an effort isn't made to make each guitar sound as good as possible, would any opinions of the bad sound actually matter?

Neither guitar is going to come off well in this when you do your reveal. If your purpose was to show that the more expensive guitar doesn't sound any better than the less expensive guitar (and since both sound bad that's actually the case), the biggest reason for that outcome is going to be user error. Not trying to be mean but you might consider taking this down and re-doing it while addressing some of the problems.
Oops, it's the same guitar.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
I hope the comments about the performance didn't come off as rude or hyper-critical.

If you weren't posting this in a provocative way to challenge listeners with "here's a cheap guitar that I think sounds good, maybe I can fool a few people" - then those comments wouldn't even be prompted. The playing is not bad if taken in a different context altogether.

A couple of thoughts since you asked:

My first feedback is to make sure your instrument is tuned well. Poor tuning or intonation just kills a musical performance stone cold dead, even if it's well-executed.

Study the players you admire, and critically watch/emulate their physical habits and manipulation of the guitar. How they hold the pick, attack the strings, strum, arpeggiate, etc. Some of these dynamics may not work for you, as we all have different anatomy, but through trial and error it can help you isolate tiny changes that will improve your approach.

Don't play things faster than you can cleanly do so, even if that's painfully slow. Muscle memory is built by repetition, but repeating something fast and sloppy will not make you better. Repeating it slowly will gradually allow you to play it faster.
Thank you for the advice. I play songs by ear so I naturally look at videos of performance a lot.

But no, I thought the guitar sound super dead (dead rusted strings too) so I just wanted to see what other people think about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion