The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-29-2019, 05:46 PM

For simple, fast set up, light weight and great sound use two S1's and a small mixer with a few effects built in like the Mackie. I have been told by many people that my sound improved dramatically when I switched to the two Bose S1's on poles.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
For simple, fast set up, light weight and great sound use two S1's and a small mixer with a few effects built in like the Mackie. I have been told by many people that my sound improved dramatically when I switched to the two Bose S1's on poles.
Can you just buy any tripod speaker pole for the S1's or do they require something specific? Also at what crowd size/performance space would only one S1 be enough? Do you find two are necessary for smaller gigs?

Last edited by pagedr; 10-16-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:49 PM

The pole size is important for the Bose S1. I am not sure what it is but you don't want a pole too large for the opening. And you will want/need some sort of eq/mixer. About the crowd size for one S1, I use one if the crowd is under 25 people and the room is quiet. Others will argue but because I have two S1's I usually use both since they are so light and easy to carry. Sometimes I line out to the second S1 from the other one and sometimes I use separate effects on each or run them stereo left and right but not with a lot of separation, may ten feet apart. The tone and musicality of the S1's have been amazing and many of my audiences have commented on my sound with only a small mixer and two S1's for my solo gig.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
The pole size is important for the Bose S1. I am not sure what it is but you don't want a pole too large for the opening. And you will want/need some sort of eq/mixer. About the crowd size for one S1, I use one if the crowd is under 25 people and the room is quiet. Others will argue but because I have two S1's I usually use both since they are so light and easy to carry. Sometimes I line out to the second S1 from the other one and sometimes I use separate effects on each or run them stereo left and right but not with a lot of separation, may ten feet apart. The tone and musicality of the S1's have been amazing and many of my audiences have commented on my sound with only a small mixer and two S1's for my solo gig.
Super helpful, thanks for the info.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Can you just buy any tripod speaker pole for the S1's or do they require something specific? Also at what crowd size/performance space would only one S1 be enough? Do you find two are necessary for smaller gigs?
Any 'standard' pole should be fine. I use the most generic On Stage brand pole from Amazon it works great. As for crowd size, if you preamp into the S1 through a mixer or something along that line, the S1 get's surprisingly loud. At that point it's more about venue size and dispersion. I have two S1's and to date I've only felt the need to use two for FOH on one occasion and that was outside and because I wanted the speakers going out at different angles for maximum dispersion of sound.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:51 PM

I absolutely love my Shertler Roy. It handles the stuff I used to do with my Bose L1 mkii and T1 mixer, but it's just one box, and it fits in my Mini-Cooper better!
Old 10-16-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
+1 for the Fishstick.
+1 for the Fishstick.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:51 AM

The options are now endless. I stopped using Fishman products when my SA220 died unexpectantly and I had a failure with a Loudbox Performer Pro. The customer service was very good but we all know what an inconvenience it is to be out of an amp for bench time.
I use the BOSE S1s- 2 with a mixer in our trio and often straight in for solo work but you have to turn up the volume more dramatically for the mic channel since it will lack a preamp. A small mixer solves all of that and lets you add those extra vocals or guitars with no problem. I have a ZED10FX and also a smaller Peavey 6 (without effects) that work fine.
I also highly rec the AER amps. I have a Compact 60/3 that is stellar.
I also have a QSC K8 that works great with a mixer.
I tried and could not get along with the new MesaBoogie Rosette. Too much fiddling required when I can plug and play with the options I already have.
I tried and liked the Bose L1 Compact - thought it sounded really good for solo work - a good improvement over their original version.
I had the original BOSE L1B1 system that also failed and had to be sent back to the factory for repairs.
This may sound like I am hard on gear but that is truly not the case. I take good care of my gear and only play out about once or twice monthly.
So there it is FWIW.
My dos centavos
Davidc
Old 10-17-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I had the original BOSE L1B1 system that also failed and had to be sent back to the factory for repairs.
I had problems with my original Bose L1's but none ever for the three Model II's that I had.

Reading all the positive comments on the Bose S1 has me considering getting a pair of them, and I already have a small mixer with built in effects. For now though, I'm very happy with my HK Nano 608i and its very powerful (when used with an iPad) internal mixer, and have been getting lots of compliments ever since I started using it back in August.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-06-2020, 04:35 PM

Default How about EV 30M

I am in the market for a PA as well. I initially thought of getting Bose L1 Compact but I feel like other companies are offering lot more features and Bose is due for an upgrade. I want a PA system with descent low end for playing music at parties in addition to solo performance (vocal/guitar).

Yamaha Stagepas 1K looks good - onboard mixer, adjustable height, 12'' sub, 170 degree dispersion. A bit on the heavier side but so far this is on top of my list. The only thing I don't like about Stagepas 1K is the EQ is a single knob (EQ curve). I think they should at least allow 3 band EQ via the app.

Then I found out about the EV 30M - lots of input, 10'' sub and built in mixer with lot of controls. One thing I wish EV 30M had was adjustable height. Sometimes I jam at my friends basement with low ceiling height and a fixed hight could be an issue. Dispersion is only 120 degrees however the HF drivers are 6x2.8'' vs the Yamaha 10x1.5'' drivers

I would think the EV 2.8'' drivers will have a better sound than 10x1.5'' drivers from Yamaha? I am no expert in this arena so would love to hear feedbacks from knowledgable folks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification