The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2019, 08:10 AM

Default My Taylor GP Dream....Could it happen?

So, I would LOVE to see a Taylor GP, limited model or not, as a 12-fret. I would probably sell a couple of other guitars for one of these, if they ever make one. What about you guys? I know no one knows if one will ever be built, but would you want one? Do you think they'll ever do it? 12-fret dreads seem to be well loved guitars, although there doesn't seem to be many out there.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 10-16-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Certainly wouldn't be a big stretch for them. It would draw me back to play the 517 one more time with a 12 fret body joint. Call Taylor and ask if they'd be willing to build one for you. Don't they have a custom shop?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 10-16-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:14 AM

If they come out with a 917 with an arm rest, I may have to buy another Taylor. I've always loved the 900 series guitars and the ONLY thing I would change about my Bourgeois would be the addition of an arm rest! So that might be the guitar that gets me back into a full-size Taylor again.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-16-2019, 10:10 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

I had a 317 for a while and loved it...except for its thin GA-style body width. Some find that comfortable...but I’ve played full-size dreads for so long the GP threw my playing off. Reminds me of the thin-body “Studio” edition of the J-45, etc that Gibson introduced this year. Too thin for me so I went with the full-size J-15.

I really like what Taylor did with these GPs...but the only way I’d be tempted to try a GP again is if they thicken up the body...

Old 10-16-2019, 11:21 AM

I think that if Taylor did release a GP 12 fret, I'd probably sell one of my GPs for it. I'm really interested to see what Taylor does next with the GP series. I imagine that a 417 or 817 are not far off, but I'm wondering if the Builder's Edition 517 and 717 will go away in favor of more production friendly versions.

The rumor I've heard is that Taylor will not be able to keep making the Builder's Editions at the production rates they obtain on their other standard series of guitars. Usually, Builder's Editions are reserved for new launches, but time will tell.

I also heard that for Taylor to keep making these with the BE appointments, that they will have to increase the price. Speculation? Maybe...but rumors start from somewhere.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

I wonder if you could special order one...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
If they come out with a 917 with an arm rest, I may have to buy another Taylor. I've always loved the 900 series guitars and the ONLY thing I would change about my Bourgeois would be the addition of an arm rest! So that might be the guitar that gets me back into a full-size Taylor again.
Do you mean the bevel on the edge of the top? When I hear armrest I think john pearse stick on.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Do you mean the bevel on the edge of the top? When I hear armrest I think john pearse stick on.
Yes! A bevel!! I don't want any part of a stick on arm rest!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-16-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I wonder if you could special order one...
Contact a dealer and do a Custom Shop (old BTO) And place your order. No need to dream.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion