The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-03-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I started to wear out the record on that song. That version was the one I tried to copy when first learning Hendrix licks.

But my favorite Hendrix blues performance will always be Bleeding Heart from Albert Hall 1969. Starts off with 3(!) choruses even before he gets to the lyrics. It's an 8 1/2 minute master class on dynamics and making the guitar talk and sing.
My brother, I know you well. Back to Red House, it has that funny section where Jimi lays out - smoking - or something else - when he comes back, he is still out of tune.

People, people, that was great. As I mentioned earlier, it's still bizarre with the house lights turned up bright. Jimi was really on that night.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:21 AM

Jeff Beck, Clapton, Page, Stevie Ray were better technically and some would add Van Halen but the Hendrix flash made his playing fun and certainly distinct except when he played blues. Even though he did a great job with blues, if that was all he had played we wouldnt be talking about him now. So many other great blues players.
I think he was trying to create a niche for himself in a time that was right for him. He couldnt have done the same thing now and been accepted as anything but a show off with tricks. On the other hand other people say it was the drugs that created the style, hmm. I dont know about that one but I do know Ive enjoyed his playing and song writing for many long years where I havent with other players of the time.
Its a taste thing I guess, like preferring one guitar over another. I prefer the Stratocaster to the Telecaster or a Les Paul. All are great guitars but I have a long standing love of Strats.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I think he was trying to create a niche for himself in a time that was right for him. He couldnt have done the same thing now and been accepted as anything but a show off with tricks. On the other hand other people say it was the drugs that created the style, hmm. I dont know about that one but I do know Ive enjoyed his playing and song writing for many long years where I havent with other players of the time.
Its a taste thing I guess, like preferring one guitar over another. I prefer the Stratocaster to the Telecaster or a Les Paul. All are great guitars but I have a long standing love of Strats.
Creating a niche for himself? You mean by totally reinventing the language of the electric guitar? Heck of a niche! The guy had a HUGE influence on how electric guitar was played. Find anything pre-Jimi that sounded at all like him - and how much post-Jimi sounded as much like him as the players could manage? To me, how good a player he was technically doesn't matter (although I don't think there was anything lacking from his technique). He created a whole innovative way to approach playing electric guitar that nobody else had done more than scratch the surface of before him.

AND, he was an insanely tasteful R&B guitarist who could play rhythms as funky as anyone who ever came along. Just like Van Halen's rhythm chops got lost in all of his fancy lead playing, so did Jimi's - the guy was one of the funkiest, freest rhythm players ever.

How much you like him is about taste. But acknowledging his vast influence isn't - it's fact. My taste is such that I loved Hendrix and never cared much for Van Halen, but both of them were enormously influential on a generation of electric players - they just WERE whether you liked them or not. Kind of like Keith Richards when it came to his type of rhythm and coming up with catchy and rocking riffs.

-Ray
Old 07-04-2020, 01:15 PM

What I was trying to say Ill try in a different way. Any top bluegrass guitar player is a better player than Jimi but I just dont like bluegrass to listen to. He certainly was unique when he played his flamboyant songs but Im not seeing how he changed electric guitar playing idea you suggested. The only people that play like Jimi are the copyists. He is a blip in history as far as I can see. Before you flame me remember Im a long time fan and Foxy is still my favorite with Mary next I think.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What I was trying to say Ill try in a different way. Any top bluegrass guitar player is a better player than Jimi but I just dont like bluegrass to listen to. He certainly was unique when he played his flamboyant songs but Im not seeing how he changed electric guitar playing idea you suggested. The only people that play like Jimi are the copyists. He is a blip in history as far as I can see. Before you flame me remember Im a long time fan and Foxy is still my favorite with Mary next I think.
Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughan took what he did and took it in another direction - so did many others, they're just the most prominent. Stevie came out of the blues but he wouldn't have played the blues like he did if not for Jimi. For that matter, neither would Buddy Guy, who's as old or older than Hendrix would be, but he wasn't playing the blues pre-Jimi the way he was playing the blues post-Jimi. The flamboyant stuff like Foxy Lady and Purple Haze were part of his show-biz legacy, but his musical legacy was stuff like Little Wing, The Wind Cries Mary, Machine Gun, The Star-Spangled Banner, Voodoo Chile, etc. His improvisations were from another galaxy, far far away, relative to anything that had been heard previously. Miles Davis sure heard him and the guitarists he started finding during his Jack Johnson period were doing their best to play like Jimi.

You're not getting that much pushback on an ACOUSTIC Guitar Forum, but take this discussion to an electric guitar based forum and I think you'd be crying uncle by now...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 07-04-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Voodoo Chile! And his name is spelled Jimi.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-04-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Any top bluegrass guitar player is a better player than Jimi but I just dont like bluegrass to listen to.
Name a top bluegrass guitar player who plays electric guitar...

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-04-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
“A blip in history”? Your comments are sounding more and more troll-like.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:43 PM

Stating an opinion is not trolling. I really appreciate what Rahsachs had to say. That shows a broad understanding of electric guitar playing. He probably is correct, its just that I was stating my opinion which may be entirely wrong. Im hoping that we can get more analysis similar to what Ray had to say.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Hey mercy, you know I love you, but I have to disagree, Jimi was seminal, original, and influential. Sure he had his influences, and he built on those in incredible ways. My personal belief is his great dedication to the guitar and his love for altered states combined in ways never before seen.

He was flamboyant, but I like to skip over that, as he did later as well.

Early on, when I hear Frank Marino or Robin Trower, I hear his influence. Frank, who I like, but in an odd way, I think said he inherited Jimi's spirit. Robin was slower and more tasteful, Bridge of Sighs:

Later on there are lots of guitarists, from Prince to John Frusciante. Here is under the Bridge:

As for technique and sound, he:

- made the 7#9 chord (aka the Hendrix chord) a staple in music, like in Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Midnight

- gave feedback a new horizon

- made the whammy bar do stuff never done before, but often done after

- used effects in new ways

- used stereo to accentuate his playing

- had a freedom in playing

His influence is like the Beatles. It's here, there and everywhere. But not always obvious.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:56 AM

Cant deny the influence of those songs but those songs were not typical of those groups sounds were they? My OP was what songs do you like best and why Id like to get back to rather than debate his influence on subsequent music.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Cant deny the influence of those songs but those songs were not typical of those groups sounds were they? My OP was what songs do you like best and why Id like to get back to rather than debate his influence on subsequent music.
You can’t just say let’s get back to my topic after saying he was just a blip in history. You’re just objectively wrong about that. Guitarists don’t have to sound like Jimi to be influenced by him. Essentially every electric guitarist since is a post-Hendrix guitarist in some way. His use of electronics was revolutionary. Listen to effects before him, they sound just like that, effects. He figured out how to make them an organic part of the guitar sound. Pre-Jimi the whammy bar was kinda cheesy. I highly doubt Floyd Rose would have even bothered to invent his locking version if Jimi hadn’t shown the world what a whammy bar was really for. Most of the guitarists now using a whammy bar don’t sound like Hendrix, but they are still in his debt.
On “topic” I really like his clean organ trio picking in Rainy Day, Dream Away, and how he fades out with the wah that reappears in Still Raining Still Dreaming. The conversation he has with his wah on Belly Button Window sounds like front porch pickin on Venus.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:55 AM

I wouldn’t go anywhere near a discussion of relative talents, but Jimi’s All Along the Watchtower is my favorite. Electric Ladyland is my favorite album. Tons of Hendrix favorites. I have plenty of favorite musicians and favorite music, but It has always been Dylan, Hendrix, Coltrane and Monk, and then all my other favorites.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 07-06-2020, 12:35 PM

Id go along with Sayhajeff, Jimi is my favorite guitar player. My saying he was a blip wasnt meant to marginalize him. It was to point out that he was unique, unlike any guitar player Ive heard. No doubt many of you guys know more than I do but Ive been playing and listening to guitar, not singing for im an instrumentalist, for 60 years. I would agree that he was a genius but not that he was the best guitarist before or after him.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJN View Post
"All along the watchtower" . . . even thought it's a Dylan song.
I agree. Jimi owns that song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN