The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-25-2017, 04:19 PM

Smile NGD Eastman AR605ce

Saturday is a NGD for me. I had been perusing the Archtop part of the forum as well as the Jazz Guitar Forum for a few months, reading and learning as much as I could. Nevertheless, all of the Eastman specs were a bit daunting.
I could have gone a lot of routes, it seems there are a fair amount of decent archtops at reasonable prices now. But I chose the Eastman AR605ce for the solid woods and the price point and I chose the Eastman because of the 1 3/4 nut width. I have been playing a while and will get back to household chores. Nice guitar; unlike anything I have.

IMG_2956.jpg
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....

Last edited by billyg; 09-21-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:26 AM

Very nice. I would love one of these - I'd prefer the non-cutaway version, but still, this would do fine!
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 03-28-2017, 12:03 PM

i have the same guitar Billy... love it!

the mahogany gives it a different sound than my maple Archtops. great tone & volume!

Rob
Old 04-15-2017, 07:38 PM

Sweet! How does it sound unplugged?
Old 04-15-2017, 09:06 PM

I must admit I don't really know how to respond to what does it sound like unplugged. It is the first "acoustic" arch top I have owned. To compare it to flat tops - I would say it is punchier, doesn't ring as much and has less sustain. It isn't as loud as a flat top when I play with my fingers, but can crank out a pretty good amount of sound with a pick. It clearly loves rhythm. When I demoed some Eastmans, the mahogany wasn't quite as bright as the maple arch tops. One of the more interesting aspects of this guitar (and probably most with a floating pickup) is how similar the electric tone is to the pure acoustic sound. When I dial the tone knob all the way back, it still has more of an acoustic vibe through the amp than a "smoky" electric jazz tone.
I have probably displayed my ignorance of jazz guitars all over this post.
So, what else can I say, I like it a lot. I played it two nights ago with my friend who just got a new banjo. The arch top and the banjo -- we had fun.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 04-17-2017, 11:32 AM

Nice Eastman, I remember,when the sales rep brought an Eastman into Mandolin bros,good lord it really stuck! I guess they have made a lot of progress since then...
Old 04-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakman View Post
Nice Eastman, I remember,when the sales rep brought an Eastman into Mandolin bros,good lord it really stuck! I guess they have made a lot of progress since then...
Not meaning to steal the thread but, are the earlier Loars, 2007 built in Korea, of inferior construction to the newer Eastman's, such as this beautiful 605 ?
Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
Not meaning to steal the thread but, are the earlier Loars, 2007 built in Korea, of inferior construction to the newer Eastman's, such as this beautiful 605 ?
I've had both. IMHO, Loars cannot compare.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I've had both. IMHO, Loars cannot compare.
Thank you Sir,this one in particular. https://reverb.com/item/4881413-the-...natural-blonde
Old 04-17-2017, 01:33 PM

Default 605

I had a AR605 no cutaway sn 1. Unfortunately it was stolen recovered the same day but is being held for evidence ( I may never see it again ). Insurance replaced it with a 17 inch AR610 ( 605 is no longer made ). I like them both. The 17 inch is louder. I play with a clip on condenser microphone and feedback is a lot less. For the price there is none better.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
I had a AR605 no cutaway sn 1. Unfortunately it was stolen recovered the same day but is being held for evidence ( I may never see it again ). Insurance replaced it with a 17 inch AR610 ( 605 is no longer made ). I like them both. The 17 inch is louder. I play with a clip on condenser microphone and feedback is a lot less. For the price there is none better.
Do you find the increase in volume with the 17 significant enough to purchase the 17 over the 16 ?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 PM

Default 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
Do you find the increase in volume with the 17 significant enough to purchase the 17 over the 16 ?
Not really they both have slightly different voices so buy them both.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops