The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-02-2023, 02:23 PM

I just measured. Both my resonator and my 12-fret Waterloo are 4/32" on the low E, 3/32" on the high e.

I'm using .013 - .056 on the reso; .012 - .055 on the Waterloo.
Old 06-06-2023, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Monty, have you ever adjusted saddle height on your Mule? I have a single cone Mule with biscuit bridge and would like to lower it a about 2/32 but don't want to mess anything up. Thanks
Mule resonator
Takamine G335 12
Baby Taylor
Gretsch 5120T
Gibson ES335
Fender '52 AVRI
National ResoPhonic M1
Ibanez Roadstar II bass
Old 06-06-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissoulaFlood View Post
Monty, have you ever adjusted saddle height on your Mule? I have a single cone Mule with biscuit bridge and would like to lower it a about 2/32 but don't want to mess anything up. Thanks
No, I haven't. I would definitely contact Matt though; he was nothing but helpful and prompt when I had a small issue with my tricone. I'm sure he would offer suggestions on how to do it or have it done.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I tried contacting him twice—[email protected]— but haven’t earned a response.
Mule resonator
Takamine G335 12
Baby Taylor
Gretsch 5120T
Gibson ES335
Fender '52 AVRI
National ResoPhonic M1
Ibanez Roadstar II bass
Old 06-06-2023, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I tried contacting him twice—[email protected]— but haven’t earned a response.
If you can separate the saddle from the biscuit, you can sand it down and re-insert it. Maybe a local tech can take a look?
Old 06-07-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I've done this a few times, and I ordered a few saddles from National just in case I went too low. I didn't, but it was nice to have a backup. I kept the original saddle, and sanded one of the new ones to size. I paid careful attention to the way National slotted the biscuit and cut a little ramp behind the string slots. I bet Matt would sell some saddles.

Usually the biscuit is just held to the cone by a small wood screw.

Here's my slotted National biscuit (notice it's got a intonation cutout on the B string by Don Young RIP at National)...

Old 06-07-2023, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Once the strings and cover plate are removed, does the biscuit simply lift off the cone? I’ve read somewhere that removing tension from all the strings risks having things get out of alignment. I’m comfortable sanding the bottom of the saddle, but don’t want to end up creating a problem. I know I’ll need to be mindful of the break angle.
Mule resonator
Takamine G335 12
Baby Taylor
Gretsch 5120T
Gibson ES335
Fender '52 AVRI
National ResoPhonic M1
Ibanez Roadstar II bass
Old 06-07-2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Once the strings and cover plate are removed, does the biscuit simply lift off the cone? I’ve read somewhere that removing tension from all the strings risks having things get out of alignment. I’m comfortable sanding the bottom of the saddle, but don’t want to end up creating a problem. I know I’ll need to be mindful of the break angle.
There's typically a little wood screw (and sometimes washer) that holds the biscuit to the cone. If you're going to lower the action, you don't sand the bottom of the saddle (unless yours pops out of the biscuit). You usually sand the saddle from the top and re-slot.

That's why I usually buy a new biscuit, so I have the original one for reference if I need it. And if I wan't to go back to the old setup, I can just pop it back on. Biscuits are cheap!

Watch this video to see how the biscuit/saddle is joined to the cone...
Old 06-16-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
For Christmas, my family bought me a Recording King biscuit resonator. I've only been able to lift it for the past two weeks.

No, kryptonite didn't come with it. I had a heart attack and subsequently a quadruple heart by pass. I'm healing well, but it's a big shock to the system physically and psychologically. I appreciate, in advance, all the good thoughts sent in my direction.

Ow! Get well soon!

I've been enjoying it in standard tuning and have fooled with some alternate tunings with a slide.

I like open G better than open D because you can go up or down to the root string.

I have three slides: glass, ceramic, and copper. Where do you store your slides? They came in tube like holders, but I'm not thrilled with how difficult it is to get the slides and put them back.

You're probably awash in meds now, right? Use your empty plastic pill bottles.

I have about a dozen slides. Most are old glass medicine bottles I've found at junk shops, yard sales, antique stores, and flea markets. One is a spark plug puller from a socket wrench set.

My favorite is a short steel tube a friend found in his garden and gave me. Took about fifteen minutes to get the crud off. I don't leave home without it.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on strings-- gauge, types that will be able to change tunings.

Yup. Use what you already like. The strings you'd use on any acoustic guitar will work just fine. You can retune any guitar string. None is specially designed for frequent retuning.

My flattop dread and my roundneck reso both have D'Addario phosphor/bronze acoustic twelves. I have a squareneck reso, too. They use much heavier strings because your left fingers never touch them.

I anxiously await what the collective wisdom throws at me!
No wisdom here. Just experience.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 06-16-2023 at 06:03 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments