The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-17-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Flatpicking classical pieces?

I know I"m mostly "nuts", but are you aware of anyone who plays the basic melodies of classical, or especially Spanish classical pieces, with a flat pick either on nylon or or steel? It seems to me it would be good to just play the "melody line" of classical pieces. Although, I know that I must be missing something here or someone would have already done that to great effect. Thanks
Old 01-17-2019, 08:07 AM

Ever listen to Chris Theile? He’s a mandolinist, of course... But same principal.

A number of “rock gods” have done electric/flatpicked classical tunes.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Ever listen to Chris Theile? He’s a mandolinist, of course... But same principal.

A number of “rock gods” have done electric/flatpicked classical tunes.
True that! My favorite player of four strings... fretted or not. He's the reason that I picked up the mando and owned four of them. His solo stuff as a teenager is amazing. I used to play Bach violin concertos on mando because of Chris' influence.

Regarding playing classical pieces with a plectrum... absolutely you can do it. Unless you employ a hybrid "chicken-pickin" technique, you'll likely be missing some part of the melody/harmony/counterpoint. But so what? If you enjoy it, that's what matters. The purists may scoff, but you're not playing for them. I majored in classical guitar performance in the 80s, so I was trained in traditional style. But I far prefer to play with a pick when I can make it work. I've dabbled with the movements of the Rodrigo Concerto using a pick and am not unhappy with the results.

Back in the 80s, I also used to pick violin and saxophone parts from classical scores and play those on my electric guitars... playing along with the full symphonic recordings. The Bach Brandenburg Concertos were my favorites. The sky is the limit... do whatever you enjoy that brings pleasure to you.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:00 AM

Johnny Smith!

You might be interested in the idea of "plectrum guitar" as well, google it...it was really it's own thing. "classical" ish pieces meant to be played on a steel string guitar (archtop, usually) with a pick. Really great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-17-2019, 09:41 AM

You might try to find William Leavitt's Classical Studies for Pick-Style Guitar. Several pieces by Bach among others. (That is if you are tempted to play some pieces yourself)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:42 PM

Frankly, it seems like it would be too difficult to me. Though I have seen some impressively fast cross picking steel string players I can't imagine how you could execute two and three voice harmonies with one point of contact, the pick. It would be great for fast runs and tremolo though.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

What I mean by flat picking a classical, is (to me) to separate the melody from the other parts of the piece, counters, bases, etc. I don't have any confidence that I could look at classical piece and separate the melody form the other "music" in the piece. I would also, now that I'm talking about it, like to know more about the chord structure of a classical piece. Have you ever tried to just chord along with a classical piece? Maybe arpeggiate (sp?) some chords in places and in other places play the melody. Seems to me it could be fun. Just thinking. . . .
Old 01-23-2019, 03:38 PM

I heard a jazz guitarst play a few of the Pavanas on his jazz guitar. Kind of what you are talking about. He used a pick but also some hybrid picking too. It sounded quite fantastic really.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:44 AM

Antoine Boyer shows what a plectrum can do. This is on a gypsy jazz guitar but he also plays classical. And electric! Sweep-picking and cross-picking skills!
https://youtu.be/KrJtc-8IeoI
Old 07-17-2019, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

AGF member Bachoholic (Chris Saunders) is "quite good" at it.

It can be done. Chris is a special talent though.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-17-2019, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Sure! why not? Go for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is4JWEu7oS4
Old 07-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Local Cape Breton artiste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj9R...OP6rElBQmHLMlM

On an acoustic, mic'd archtop no less! You can hear the murmur of the stream at the beginning.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Yes, I love playing classical tunes with a pick! I recently published a book of single note classical style melodies which are perfect for flat picking. Might be exactly what you are looking for. It contains classical themes, folk songs, national anthems and more. It's called "42 Traditional Melodies for Guitar". See the link in my signature below for more info.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:04 PM

I think I remember seeing a youtube video in which a girl played Tarrega's Recuerdos de la Alhambra with a flatpick, playing all the notes at a reasonable tempo. I say I think because I don't understand how it's possible to do that. I can't find it on youtube now. Was it a dream? Anyone seen that?

John R.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:26 PM

Al Di Meola Plays Piazzolla. Great stuff!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical