The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X20 vs X30--thoughts?

I've owned a couple of X20s and liked them a lot. Currently own an X7 Select Series that is also outstanding in the parlor category. What I haven't been able to do, is get my hands on an X30. Anyone who has played one, particularly if you've played an X20 as well, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 01-18-2019, 12:20 PM

Might need to move to the CF forum.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 PM

I haven't played one, but my impression is they are pretty big.

Several folks in the CF subforum have them by now though. So probably should ask there.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-18-2019, 07:39 PM

I own both as of mid-December. The X20 fits me perfectly, and just locks into my preferred classical position. Friends who have seen me play say that the guitar just doesn't move. The X30 is noticeably bigger in both body and tone. It is enough different that it slightly changes the way my arm drapes and where my hand hits the strings in front of the bridge. It is the first guitar in a long time that I can comfortably play sitting on my right leg. So they are different.

Tonally, X20 is very nice and balanced and lacks nothing. X30 is very powerful and quite warm sounding. I would describe it as the most Martin-esque sound of any carbon fiber guitar, much like a rosewood dreadnought such as a good D-28. Even though it is technically a jumbo guitar with a 17" lower bout (and fits in my jumbo Taylor case just fine) the bevels and curves make it feel roughly dreadnought sized. It has a twelfth fret body join, but there is no neck heel so even higher frets are easily reached.

If forced to choose, I would pick the X20. But the X30 is a nice alternative and definitely has a different voice. Think X20 = 000-28 and X30 = D-28. That is probably the best I can do to compare them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Several folks in the CF subforum have them by now though. So probably should ask there.
This thread will get moved as soon as a moderator notices it.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 PM

I only have an X30 right now but have a custom X20 on order so I can't do a direct comparison for you. I can tell you this though I always preferred the size of a dreadnought body and while the X30 is physically bigger, because of all the fancy contours it feels around the same size as a dreadnought. It's quite comfortable to play and definitely has a lot more lower end than most dreads. After playing the X30 I can no longer play my Gibson dread as it just doesn't come close to the comfort level. That can be said for all Emerald models though. All those fancy contours give them an edge over the competition IMO. I also put a bone saddle and 80/20 bronze strings on it to add a little more brightness and absolutely love that combo. Earl is right the tone is comparable to a Martin D-28.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:09 PM

I own both as of November 2018.

I disagree with the sound comparison with the D28 Martin, my HD28e retro at least. You can hear the substantial tonal difference in my review video linked below.

The X20 is a sweetie, no doubt, and crawls into your lap like a housecat. For fingerpicking I've found it to be a little brighter and more singing.

It has, however, hung on my wall untouched since the first couple weeks I had them both. The X30 gives tons of power and color for my chunky percussive strumming style that the X20 can't touch.

I *am* about to throw 13s on the X20 and see if it warms up. So far the tone, although excellent by carbon standards, still sounds carbon compared to my 30s.

Last edited by byudzai; 01-18-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:33 PM

It's awfully hard to describe tone. We all hear differently and words often cannot adequately describe beauty. I took a shot with my analogy....
As a 75% bare nails fingerpicker and 25% moderate strummer, my descriptions and perceptions will be different than someone who mostly plays with a vigorous strumming style.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
It's awfully hard to describe tone. We all hear differently and words often cannot adequately describe beauty. I took a shot with my analogy....
As a 75% bare nails fingerpicker and 25% moderate strummer, my descriptions and perceptions will be different than someone who mostly plays with a vigorous strumming style.
I think this is a beautiful and important for buyers to read -- playing style affects perceived sound character of a guitar enormously.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:52 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
That’s about my style and ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
I think this is a beautiful and important for buyers to read -- playing style affects perceived sound character of a guitar enormously.
Absolutely, and is not considered enough in a lot of discussions. Bare finger pickers (mostly flesh vs. mostly nails), vs. pick users (type and material...metal vs. plastic), and other variations. And then there are strings...
Old 01-19-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Thanks folks, these insights are extremely helpful.

Frank
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 01-19-2019, 09:10 AM

If you can get/have/own an X7, 20 , and 30 your life will be good ... if you play plugged in a lot then you have to have the X 10 level 2. But then I play piano so what do I know..... Speaking of piano ....just got Pianoteq’s new Bechstein .... man this is a fine piano sound, maybe their best... off to photo and video a Singer Songwriter thing in Glendale...later...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-20-2019, 10:04 AM

My X30 has fan frets (multi-scale lengths) and the sound compares favorably to a Martin D35.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 01-22-2019, 01:42 PM

If I didn't already have an X20, I don't know which I would choose as my first Emerald though at the moment I am leaning toward an X30. Since I already have a standard X20 I can't really justify getting a standard X30. I played one for a little while (see 2018 October Select Series) when I was visiting County Donegal and absolutely loved it. It's definitely a stellar instrument. If I had both a regular X20 and X30 sitting around the house and had to choose only one, I think I would go with the X30 but only by a small margin. If either was a fan fret, that would be the one I went with most likely though this case is all purely hypothetical.

FWIW, I am pretty lanky so both guitars fit me pretty well. The X20 also fits my 13 year old well enough, but he has to grow a little more for the X30 (he tried the paduak one too).

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
I've owned a couple of X20s and liked them a lot. Currently own an X7 Select Series that is also outstanding in the parlor category. What I haven't been able to do, is get my hands on an X30. Anyone who has played one, particularly if you've played an X20 as well, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
I can't comment on a X30 but I've had my X20 for about a month now and I'm loving it. I'd recommend an amber one. Apparently they sound the best...wink, wink.
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
If you can get/have/own an X7, 20 , and 30 your life will be good ... if you play plugged in a lot then you have to have the X 10 level 2. But then I play piano so what do I know..... Speaking of piano ....just got Pianoteq’s new Bechstein .... man this is a fine piano sound, maybe their best... off to photo and video a Singer Songwriter thing in Glendale...later...
Yo Kramster what is the singer songwriter thing? Hmmm and Bechstein?

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber