The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-14-2018, 11:44 AM

Default Differing opinion on guitar bridge issue

My issue is that there is a small barely perceptible gap under my bridge on my simon patrick showcase guitar. Its toward the base sideand along a bit. I emailed 2 techs. One was my local authorised gibson repair guy in dundee who has worked out of a shop in dundee and edinburgh for many years and has had a few of my guitars in over the years for sey ups etc. He replied that this tends to happen if the too is bellying up and can be serious and that he would have to see it. I took it to him and upon inspection he felt that the gap was likely de to a lack of glue applied to the area when the bridge was fixed to the guitar. He felt that the guitar had only minimal curve if any to the top and that the guitar was actually fine.

The other guy who i havn't ever dealt with before replied that he felt i should get the guitar to him right away before the bridge gets worse and rips the top apart or even worse it flies right off with a bang as this happens often.

Ive gone with my local guys opinion as ive saw him in person and used him in the past. He said its completely fine. Interesfing difference in opinion and description of what could go wrong
Old 11-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Whilst I have, once seen a bridge tear off (whilst a minor celeb was playing in a concert!) these things are usually that dramatic, but if the guitar is important to you, don't mess about, go somewhere and get the bridge taken off and reglued.

It happens with all sorts of makes ... even happened to one of my Collings last year.
The process should be completely invisible.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:45 PM

Godin (Simon & Patrick manufacturer) does not glue their bridges all the way to the edge, at least for some models. Here is what an unnecessarily replaced bridge of mine from an A6 Ultra looks like:

Before:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...nNSM1h2N1g4RDg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...2NELWJEU205SkE

Old bridge underside after repair:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...1JlUjkzTHMxQzg
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-14-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:05 PM

Can you explain more aboit that. Were you told it was not an issue?
Old 11-14-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Ray View Post
Can you explain more aboit that. Were you told it was not an issue?
For that particular guitar, Godin wanted to glue to the cedar, not the Koa veneer and did not want a critical visible route in the top at the bridge edge. The edge of the bridge is routed to clear the Koa and its finish. With string tension it reveals that gap a little more and it clears a thin sheet of paper, just barely. The people who repaired it gave me the old bridge and did not say too much... The replacement bridge was glued edge to edge onto the cedar.

Jon Fields
Old 11-14-2018, 03:15 PM

Was it faulty and lifting or did it pull off?
Old 11-14-2018, 03:18 PM

Or was it removed when it didnt have to be?
Old 11-14-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Ray View Post
Or was it removed when it didnt have to be?
That is my conclusion, but it was not an expensive repair and not that big a deal. Interestingly enough, Sweetwater sold me the guitar and paid the local repairman directly.

Jon Fields
Old 11-14-2018, 05:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Go with the known person who has actually looked at the guitar. While it may come off if he is wrong, he’s seen it and his opinion is qualified. If it does come off, his mistake will likely cause him to cut you a deal on the reflux. While the bridge coming off CAN do damage, it would be unusual. Looking at it every now and again will give you warning if it does get worse.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:51 PM

Thats how i feel. Ive used him before and he had the instrument in hand. He chose not to do anything and i suppose he could havevopted otherwise and pocketed the profit
Old 11-15-2018, 04:55 AM

They are not the only company to route a ledge on the bridge to allow it to sit in a shallow rebate on the top wood. Taylor does it, and surprisingly some very high end independent luthiers as well (though their work is a tad more precise.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair