The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-17-2016, 10:17 PM

Surveyor,
Sorry I'm so late to the party. I have built something similar. For the base I used 2 pieces of ply. Top piece had slot cut through, lower piece had slight recess cut for head. These are screwed together and attached to another piece with hinges. This gives you the angle adjustment.
Kennith Michael tools are well thought out & if I had it to do over again, I would probably buy his tool.

For what it's worth My jig came out ok. I'm cheap to a fault and enjoy the challenge of the build. I'm not satisfied with my rotating arm, though. I may try what was shown above.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:53 PM

They say imitation is a high level compliment -- thank you for that.

Lots of mis-information in this thread, most of it derives from comments which clearly indicate its best to do an evaluation when an actual hands on, real time test of an item has been performed -- like the guys that own KMG Mega Molds. The precision movable spindle with abrasive bars and the tilting base feature make this device unique. The design allows the user to contour the top or back at any radius, in addition to accurately sanding a matching extension area slope which can be set-up to match any desired neck set angle --- the key to "hump-less builds" We have plans to show how to create a wedged shaped body as well.

The inspiration for the device came directly from the Martin factory -- the KMG demo video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy7ieraU-Ns

in fact emulates what is done to over 200 builds each day on the factory machinery. The top edge of the rim is sanded flat, has no bevel. This link explains why and how they do it.

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/neckangle.html

Note the Mega Mold is used in the class rooms at Whetstone school of Lutherie

http://whetstoneschooloflutherie.com/frank-riner/

kencierp
Old 11-13-2018, 12:38 PM

Default Want to buy or build a Mega Mold

I am looking for a new/used Mega Mold to purchase or even plans to build one. Any idea where I could do either or?

The KMG Web site does not appear to sell them any more ... anyone know why?

Thanks

Billy
Old 11-13-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrievousAngel View Post
I am looking for a new/used Mega Mold to purchase or even plans to build one. Any idea where I could do either or?

Thanks

Billy

Me too. Back off my ebay and reverb shopping.

They always seem pretty pricy to me, but I am cheap.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrievousAngel View Post

Thanks

Billy
Unfortunately Ken C has passed away and no one purchased the business to keep it going.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Had View Post
Unfortunately Ken C has passed away and no one purchased the business to keep it going.
The guy that posted 4 posts up this thread? I know it was 2016. Sorry to hear regardless.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonWannabe2 View Post
The guy that posted 4 posts up this thread? I know it was 2016. Sorry to hear regardless.
Yes. Ken C was the owner of KMG (Kenneth Michael Guitars) and was the designer of the Mega Mold.

http://acousticguitarconstructionfor...ed+away#p26708

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair