The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-08-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
A little on the heavy side(weight wise), but what a fun instrument to hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
I tried the original *Trans Acoustic*...are they the same?
I have the original transacoustic. It's pretty heavy. It sounds fantastic, but I'm sure Yamaha's Japanese handmade L series sound better. I wish my brother didn't pawn that LL400 I lent him.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:55 PM

I really like the effects on the Transacoustic guitars. But like any effect, you get more adjustment range than I would ever use. Reverb and Chorus need to be used tastefully no matter what their source is.

I think the Transacoustic system works very well, and it's a great solution if you want those effects IMO. No need to bring anything with you other than your guitar. Runs on commonly available AA batteries which can be easily replaced from the outside of the guitar. No need to remove the strings to place the device or to attach things to the guitar. No need to manipulate it after the strings are back on to find the correct placement.

Apart from this, if you look inside at the actuator on a Transacoustic, it is attached to braces on the back and not attached to the back with magnets or whatever. It seems to me this is probably a better solution for the resonance of the instrument.

Tonewood has obvious advantages, like being able to be used in any guitar, but I think the Transacoustic is a great solution, and the Yamaha LLs are great guitars besides.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:12 PM

Not for me, but I hardly use any effects when plugged in.

The reason I purchased the Lowden was for that beautiful sustain. If my choice were to play a guitar with little sustain (which I have done for 20 seconds at a stretch many times in music stores) or have the built-in reverb, I'd be glad for the reverb.

I really just want to hear the guitar, but I don't have any problems with other people enjoying the effects.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-11-2018, 09:38 PM

I love my Tonewood Amp, but mainly for practicing with effects at home. For live use through a PA, I just use a pedal or let the board guy do his stuff.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I love my Tonewood Amp, but mainly for practicing with effects at home. For live use through a PA, I just use a pedal or let the board guy do his stuff.

Having said that, the Tonewood Amp does sound wonderful as a PA system effects box.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:27 AM

If you sing along with your guitar you might be interested in the TC Helicon 'Play Acoustic'

https://www.tc-helicon.com/Categorie...OUSTIC/p/P0CDJ

Easy access to affects when you want them, great clean acoustic tone when you don't - all tailored for acoustic guitar performance. It sounds great, I love mine.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

I have a FS-TA and the reverb is delightful. The chorus is even pretty decent, and I'm not a huge fan of it in the first place.

The onboard effects inspire me to keep playing.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Played a TA recently, priced at $499. I really liked that guitar!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-15-2018, 09:41 PM

My Tonewood amp pretty much never leaves my Martin unless I'm plugged into my Boss Acoustic Singer Live or changing the batteries. But the ability to have reverb (hall, room, and plate) delay+reverb and now chorus+reverb in any setting can turn the simplest one string/note ideas into something pretty awesome!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion