The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-18-2012, 03:23 PM

Default K&K sensor reposition possible?

So can I "unstick" one of the three sensors w/o destroying it?

Either for the K&K or that "identical" transducer (can't recall the manufacturer off the top of my head), but I'd like to reposition one of the sensors as my "D" string is decidedly louder than the others (where my bass and treb strings seem balanced in volume). Yes, it is I who did the installation ...and thought it went fine, but would like to fine-tune the overall amplified voicing. Thoughts/advice on this most appreciated!

Edward
Old 05-18-2012, 03:34 PM

It is possible, but you will have to be very careful.
You need to work a razor blade in between the sensor and the bridgeplate. The key is to go slow, and watch the angle of the blade so as not to gouge the sensor, or the b/plate.
Once the sensor is loose, you will need to scrape off as much of the glue from the bottom of the sensor as you can, then clean up the bridgeplate so you have clean surfaces to remount the sensor.

Mike

Michael Hedges
Old 05-18-2012, 03:43 PM

oooh, that was fast!

Thanks for that Mike! But if I may ask the obvious, this razor-blade work is all done by feel? And in between the two sensors that I want to remain? Hmmm, any tips on how to do this well?

Edward
Old 05-18-2012, 08:31 PM

You will be working blind, unless you use a small mirror and a flashlight. The auto detail industry (and maybe the paint shops) have different blades available. By going in at a 45° angle, and working near the edge of the blade, you should be ok. I've removed an outer and middle sensor, and made adjustments (re-install) with good results. The cleanup/prep is important in getting the sensors to adhere properly.

If you've done a saddle replacement recently, take the time to check that the bottom of the saddle is flat. A small high spot could be causing your balance issue.

Mike

Michael Hedges
Old 05-19-2012, 06:37 PM

I appreciate that, Mike ...thanks, man!

Edward
Old 05-20-2012, 06:41 AM

Acetone will disolve the Cyanoacrylate glue (and probably your guitars' finish), An insulin syringe makes a good applicator. Also, Model Hobby shops carry CA remover that is in a thick form.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification