The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-15-2012, 07:59 PM

Default PA upgrade advice please

Right, so I'm in an acoustic duo and am thinking of upgrading my PA. I do use it in my band occaasionally for vocals and the rare dj set from time to time. I'm currently using a pair of Electrovoice SX300's powered by a USA made Mackie M1400 amp. The speakers sound like they're on their way out and I've had an offer for them which I might take. which leaves me with the dilemma of whether to get 2 new SX300's or something completely different.

I find they lack on the bass side so was thinking of getting a 15" sub to beef stuff up (I've got this tapping kick drum sound going on with quite a few tracks, which sounds great through 15's but a bit insipid through my AER or EV's) but thought I'd see what you lot would suggest to replace the system. Like most people I'm after quality and power (for headroom at least) and don't want anything too big. Realistically I'm not gonna be playing to much more than about 300 people at any gig. I don't have a budget in mind as such - I believe good gear is money well spent - but I can't go too mad, I think RCF standard realistically would prob be as high a price as I could go.

any suggestions/opinions appreciated
Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 PM

IMHO an acoustic duo would benefit from better sounding speakers. Not a subwoofer.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:13 PM

thanks for the speedy reply, for the usual strumalong acoustic guitar I'd agree but I'm far from that. I use a looper from time to time and use a lot of percussion etc within my playing so i need more low end to fill the sound out. I played through a pair of art 408's with 2 RCF subs which sounded epic but lacked the midrange for vocals, that's what lead me to thinking about a sub but possible with slightly larger tops...
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Guest 2143

I use EV SX100+ speakers for my acoustic duo and think they sound fantastic, but I only put acoustic/resonator guitar and vocals through them. I use a Porchboard (foot bass/percussion device) but send that through a bass amplifier. I am not sure what the frequency range on the SX300 is, but they are probably similar if not identical to mine. If so, I don't think they are at all suitable for the kick drum frequencies and perhaps could even be damaged by them (not sure about this). I would think good 12" speakers like those you have and a sub would serve you well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification