The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2012, 02:44 AM

Default Inprovements in pickups ..... lesser known manufacturers

I recently received a new Lakewood M18CP that was on special due to a relocation sale.

Given the information on the Lakewood site I was expecting the guitar to be fitted ] with the new LR Baggs anthem system so imagine my disappointment and frustration when on inspecting the guitar for the first time I found that it had the older system of the Lakewood version of the Shadow Electronics Lakewood Sonic System

THis is a dual system with two pickups. The "Nanoflex", picks up the sound of the strings at the bridge saddle and there's a second pickup hidden inside the guitar;a "Nanomag" magnetic pickup.

I was ready to return the guitar and ask for the Anthem system until I plugged in.

What a revelation, the system was surprisingly good, well designed easy to use and very natural. In fact at rehearsals a lot of comments were made about how it sounded, and this was in the company of a F! Aura and an Expression system.

Anyway, this got me thinking, as guitar aficionado are we biased against the lesser known manufacturers, (I still know nothing about Shadow) but intend to keep the guitar (it is one sweet acoustic)

So how about you, are you/have you opted for a little known company or do you stay with the tried and trusted bigger company products?

What's your experience good and bad...

Last edited by hussman; 05-12-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussman View Post
So how about you, are you/have you opted for a little known company or do you stay with the tried and trusted bigger company products?

What's your experience good and bad...
I recently installed a Schatten HFN active in my Walden. This is a piezo pickup mounted on a rosewood "bridge" which in turn mounts on the bridge plate. I wanted something active to avoid the external preamp I use with my K&K equipped guitars and I didn't want a UST. I'm very pleased with it. Of course, without having the same guitar with a UST to compare it to, I don't really know if it's "better" or not but I like it.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:11 AM

I wouldn't call Shadow little or lesser known. I don't know how long they've been around but they're a German manufacturer with a good reputation.

My only direct experience, having said that, was with a Tanglewood which had a Shadow pup installed. The system was incredibly bright and had to be toned down on the guitar's preamp AND the FOH mixer.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Me

I've installed and/or played many different brands. My favorite right now is the PUTW Active dual source.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification