The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-26-2021, 04:09 PM

Default AKG214 microphone

Anyone have one of these? I was wondering how a bass voice works with it. I was told the AG414 is an excellent match but the price was almost triple so I wonder if I can make do with the AKG214 and get some improvement over my Shure 58 dynamic.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:16 PM

I do recording projects with a guy who has a 214 that he runs through an Apogee Duet. It sounds good to me, and he uses it for vocals, accordion and tin whistle. I have a 414 which I use with an API preamp. This is a video with three different lead singers; he goes first and I'm last. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison, obviously, but I think it shows that the 214 is a nice mic. Please note that the video was shot to playback, so any mics you see are props.

Couch Standards
Old 11-28-2021, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I have a C214 that was the first LDC I bought. I still use it sometimes for acoustic guitar, but for my [baritone] voice, it's not worked any miracles .

Coming from the same company, the C214 is obviously meant to evoke the C414 and predecessors, but from all I've read, it doesn't share much more than looks. It is a good medium/large LDC, but it's not a C414.

Honestly, I've drifted to just the old SM58 for the little bit of singing I do at home recording stuff, because it's more than good enough. Listening critically, I prefer my Miktek MK300 (a multi-pattern LDC) over the AKG, and if the ones that are currently on sale for $199 are the same mic, it's what I'd buy. If you're a true bass, there's probably better mics. (There's some British voice artist that reviews mics - I'd look at what he likes, but expect to spend a bit more $!)
Old 11-28-2021, 09:56 AM

I've used AKG stuff and found them a bit harsh..
Currently, I use NEAT Mic's nd the one used in my signature is the original Neat Worker Bee..and a Shure SM57 at the 12-14 fret of my Alvarez MD60BG. Funny names and looks, but the V2 series stuff looks normal,,'
I watch Podcastage on youtube he does pretty good reviews for all price levels and has reviewed the AKG214

Last edited by CASD57; 11-29-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:15 PM

In the interest of confusing things further, I'd like to interject that there have been, to date, something like 11 different versions of the 414. Some types sound very different from others. And some are more sought-after than others, with their prices reflecting that.

Couch Standards
Old 11-28-2021, 04:10 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
In the interest of confusing things further, I'd like to interject that there have been, to date, something like 11 different versions of the 414. Some types sound very different from others. And some are more sought-after than others, with their prices reflecting that.
An interesting aside, we have one of the very first C414 examples, the C414Comb, with the integrated mount and captive cable.

It is an interesting mic but not my favorite. There are two design philosophies at work in LDCs. The C414 family follows what I call a "literal" sound philosophy. You put in front of the subject at a reasonable position and, yep, the subject typically sounds like itself. That can be very useful. The Neumann mic family follows what I call the "pretty" design philosophy. Put something in front of one of these and by and large you'll get a flattering representation of the subject. That can be useful as well.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD