The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-16-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Conversely, those who write and play their own songs might say players who only do covers have no talent for songwriting.

People will do what works for them. I think even for those of us who primarily play originals, there is a place for the occasional cover because it can be a vehicle for the audience to make a personal connection with the performer that might not happen if the audience member is unfamiliar with that performer's work. That's why you'll see even great songwriters like John Gorka and Richard Shindell slip the occasional cover into a set now and again. We're drawn to familiarity.
Well not only would saying " players who only do covers have no talent for songwriting" be pure speculation ,,,maybe they do, but simply do not play them in public ? who knows ?????

But that is not the point I was making, which has nothing to with people that play their own originals in public . Heck I play my originals also at gigs also

The point was about those people who feel compelled to voice the proclamation "I only play originals" and in the context of that as some kind "badge of superior achievement" to playing only covers . Which is obviously not everybody who do in fact play originals .
In other words "how" it is said,,,,, not what is said

And as noted not unlike like those who proclaim that using a capo is "crutch" or "inferior" playing ability (which is pretty much the same self anointed mindset)

And then as noted with the observation many times those who proclaim that and play only originals ,,,,,have a long way to go on their songwriting journey

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-16-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
The point was about those people who feel compelled to voice the proclamation "I only play originals" and in the context of that as some kind "badge of superior achievement" to playing only covers . Which is obviously not everybody who do in fact play originals .
In other words "how" it is said,,,,, not what is said
Ahh... in my head, it felt like the other. Thanks for clearing that up.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-19-2021, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Here’s another scenario. Let’s say you want to record a solo instrumental and there is one section in the song that is technically quite difficult. You get the rest of the song up to the performance tempo you desire but no matter how much you practice, you can’t play that difficult section at the tempo you desire. So is it cheating to play the entire arrangement at the slower tempo you need for the most difficult part and then in the post DAW treatment and then speed up the entire recording to the tempo you want your audience to hear?

I’ve got one song that I want to record that has this scenario. I can play the difficult section perfectly about 10-15 percent slower than the rest of the song at the tempo I want the whole song to be at. I just can’t seem to get that section beyond the desired tempo without messing it up. For now, I’ll keep working at it.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-19-2021, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Here’s another scenario. Let’s say you want to record a solo instrumental and there is one section in the song that is technically quite difficult. You get the rest of the song up to the performance tempo you desire but no matter how much you practice, you can’t play that difficult section at the tempo you desire. So is it cheating to play the entire arrangement at the slower tempo you need for the most difficult part and then in the post DAW treatment and then speed up the entire recording to the tempo you want your audience to hear?

I’ve got one song that I want to record that has this scenario. I can play the difficult section perfectly about 10-15 percent slower than the rest of the song at the tempo I want the whole song to be at. I just can’t seem to get that section beyond the desired tempo without messing it up. For now, I’ll keep working at it.
"Cheating ?" IMO no not as long ( as some have noted),,,,,, you are not representing it as a real time single performance.
In other words as long as you are not Milli Vanilli-ing it,,,, you should just go for it ... for now But also just keep practicing at the slower tempo and gradually keep increasing the tempo

Just be aware that some timing change plugins, in some DAW's can leave unpleasant artifacts

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-20-2021, 08:43 PM

Back to the original topic, I use some degree of reverb, EQ, and other effects, such as compression, when I record, when I play online, and, when I play at the open mic I host, when I'm playing live. I do what it takes to give me a more "natural" or pleasing sound. As Doug said, in photography, the image you get isn't the same as the scene you photographed. In fact, if you are using a modern digital camera or camera phone, it is likely highly processed before you see it. The same is true with recording and amplification systems--the sound they produce isn't the same as the sound coming out of your guitar and/or mouth. There is no rule saying you can't use effects.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-20-2021, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post

I would record it at the speed I could play it if it still sounded musical at the slower pace. I wouldn't want to give people the idea that I can play something that in reality I can't. There are a lot of tunes I can't play at the original speed so I just do my own thing with them. Speeding them up artificially in a recording isn't something I would do. I'm not going to put a label on it though. If you really want to get a recording of a tune and can't see waiting 6 months to get the entire thing up to speed I suppose its okay.

Often I will record a tune in two parts if its 3 pages or more and then copy and paste the sections together, sometimes doubling a section to make the recording longer. Its rare that I spend enough time on a 4 page tune to get it to the point that I can play it all the way through without an error. So sections it is. Many players wouldn't do that either, but that's where I am at my age. I rarely do "punch ins" though. I'll re-record the entire page/section if I make a mistake.

On the original question, no, using reverb to me isn't cheating, it enhances certain tunes. As long as its not used to try to hide sloppy playing, its fine. Reverb highlights sloppy playing to my ears.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 11-21-2021 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

This exact discussion occurred on several photography forums Im on. Also a ham radio discussion.

The digital age has afforded us the luxury of what our forefathers had to toil for hours to achieve. But in the end, we are just doing with keystrokes and mouse clicks what they did with chemical trays, soldering irons, elaborate patch bays, etc…

But as one phortog proposed, “theres a line somewhere between placing a digital pantyhose over a lens….and photoshopping yourself on top of Mt Everest”…
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD