The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2016, 05:26 PM

Default Problem with my new Emerald X20...

Having owned an X20 for about a year, I figured I would pick up a second as a "beater". You know, one I could use and abuse. Lend out to friends, bring to cook outs and open mics. Spill beer on, play with dirty hands, fend off hordes of zombies, etc.

But when I received my new Emerald X20 (amber color), I was immediately taken aback by it's beauty. It looks absolutely gorgeous (pics do not do it justice) and plays like a dream. So now I can't possibly imagine myself mistreating her, even though I know it is up for the challenge.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:27 PM

LOL! even I, a carbon enthusiast, have no weapon as cool as this for fighting off hordes of zombies. I would say that this problem of yours is a good one to have
Old 01-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Guest 928

This guitar is what you want it to be. It is a survivalist. My X20-OSN suffered coffee drips, sweat, and sometimes tears, and it survived. It was also good for civilized play. You can't go wrong. Enjoy!!!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

That's a beautiful guitar!

I'm thinking of having Alistair build me an X20 Artisan in Emerald Green. I've gotten about a 4-month lead time from him. I have a request about something I'm curious about. Now that you have two X20 Artisans, can you please tell me what the geometry of the tops of your guitars look like from a side view?

Are they flat across the top or do they have a bit of concaveness or do they have a bit of a convexness?

The reason I ask this is that RainSong guitars will, at best, be flat across the top but most often will have a bit of concaveness. CA guitars can be similar. Thanks for any information you wish to pass along!

Regards,

Ken - SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-09-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Congrats. Yes, that is a beauty. What kind of pickup does it have? Did the 4 month lead time hold true for you?
Old 01-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
That's a beautiful guitar!

I'm thinking of having Alistair build me an X20 Artisan in Emerald Green. I've gotten about a 4-month lead time from him. I have request about something I'm curious about. Now that you have two X20 Artisans, can you please tell me what the geometry of the tops of your guitars look like from a side view?

Are they flat across the top or do they have a bit of concaveness or do they have a bit of a convexness?

The reason I ask this is that RainSong guitars will, at best, be flat across the top but most often will have a bit of concaveness. CA guitars can be similar. Thanks for any information you wish to pass along!

Regards
Ken - SpruceTop
Greetings SpruceTop...Your post got me wondering too, so I put a strait edge on my Green X20 Opus and got the following results... Parallel to the strings on both sides is a slight concaveness, while just below the bridge, (across the width) is a slight convexness...
I wonder if this is why the X20 is so loud? Hope I helped Amigo!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 01-02-2016, 08:14 PM

CodeContra...Since you have such problems with your Amber beauty...then just send it to me!!!
You can never have enough Emeralds in the stable Brother...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 01-02-2016, 09:45 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Emerald is doing an amazing job with these guitars. My goodness, it just plays and sounds so lovely.

Bluside, I ordered it back in August and Alistair quoted me 3 months and delivered 3 months on the dot. So if he is quoting you 4 months I would think that's pretty accurate. I got the Opus model with no electronics, but upgraded to the hardshell Hiscox case. On my older X20, I got a K&K mini pickup installed and it sounds great, but I also have it paired with a nice pre amp (Fire eye Red-eye).

Sprucetop, Clayton may have answered your question. I have looked mine over and I honestly can't tell. Certainly nothing dramatic. To my naked eye it almost looks like there is some variation along the soundboard similar to what Clayton said. But I think Emerald may be able to give you a specific answer.

Emerald was also nice enough to send me a free handmade ceramic mug. Straight from the hills of Ireland. Very nice touch and keeps my beer nice and cold.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Greetings SpruceTop...Your post got me wondering too, so I put a strait edge on my Green X20 Opus and got the following results... Parallel to the strings on both sides is a slight concaveness, while just below the bridge, (across the width) is a slight convexness...
I wonder if this is why the X20 is so loud? Hope I helped Amigo!!!
Thanks Claytone! It seems from your description that your Emerald Artisan's top contour looks similar to a typical new wooden guitar's top--and that's Good!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecontra View Post
Thanks everyone! I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Emerald is doing an amazing job with these guitars. My goodness, it just plays and sounds so lovely.

Bluside, I ordered it back in August and Alistair quoted me 3 months and delivered 3 months on the dot. So if he is quoting you 4 months I would think that's pretty accurate. I got the Opus model with no electronics, but upgraded to the hardshell Hiscox case. On my older X20, I got a K&K mini pickup installed and it sounds great, but I also have it paired with a nice pre amp (Fire eye Red-eye).

Sprucetop, Clayton may have answered your question. I have looked mine over and I honestly can't tell. Certainly nothing dramatic. To my naked eye it almost looks like there is some variation along the soundboard similar to what Clayton said. But I think Emerald may be able to give you a specific answer.

Emerald was also nice enough to send me a free handmade ceramic mug. Straight from the hills of Ireland. Very nice touch and keeps my beer nice and cold.

Thanks Codecontra! It seems that the Emerald Artisan guitars have a similar top contour as a wooden guitar when viewed from the side and this is what I want. I've had a couple of RainSongs over the years that were noticeably concave on their tops when viewing from the side and this really bugged me enough to trade them! I'm now seriously considering the Emerald Artisan! Nice Mug!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-02-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks Codecontra! It seems that the Emerald Artisan guitars have a similar top contour as a wooden guitar when viewed from the side and this is what I want. I've had a couple of RainSongs over the years that were noticeably concave on their tops when viewing from the side and this really bugged me enough to trade them! I'm now seriously considering the Emerald Artisan! Nice Mug!
I have owned several nice wooden acoustics over the years and still have 2 Larrivees in my stable that I absolutely adore. But I must say that my Emeralds get the most use. Plus I don't have to worry about humidifying them, leaving them in my car when it is cold/hot out, etc. I even dropped my X20 face down on an all metal effects pedal and it didn't even show a mark. I would highly recommend.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:24 AM

I remember Alistair usually builds a slight convexity to his tops. He said it was positive to the sound.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

So now you have TWO X20's?!? Nice!!

How do you like the one with the K&K in it? I had one but I was not a big fan of the B-Band. I sold it for other reasons but I did really like the guitar and it recorded great. I will get another one someday and I really like the Amber so if you ever decide to part with that one, let me know!!

I have relatives in W. Mass so next time I visit if you're available I'll swing by and check them out!!

Also, now you need another beater!
Old 01-03-2016, 08:13 AM

Dude, do you hear any difference in tonal quality between the two X20s, acoustically? Now you can really compare apple to apple.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:34 AM

Methos, the K&K pairs very nicely with the X20. Sounds very warm and natural. Sure if you are ever in my area you are welcome to try them out.

Jimmy, yes they actually sound a bit different. But my older X20 has a MOP saddle that I had installed so it's not exactly apples to apples. They both sound great though.

Last edited by codecontra; 01-03-2016 at 10:41 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber