The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Is it possible to use the same amp for both microphone and guitar

Hey guys..

Was wondering if it was possible to use the same amp for both microphone and acoustic guitar and still get a good result for a live performance (for busking, preferably, so portability and perhaps even battery use and the ability to plug it to power as well

Thanks in advance

Seagull Performer CW Concert Hall Burnt Umber

Norman B-20
Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Most(?) good acoustic amps are dual channel. I have a Fender acoustasonic with an XLR mic channel input and a guitar input.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-03-2017, 11:46 AM

Yep. An acoustic-amp is, essentially, a miniaturized PA with some guitar effects built into them. Most are designed to work with both instrument line-ins and microphones. For instance, my Fishman Loudbox-Mini has two channels, one for instrument and one for mic. It would be sufficient to play a small restaurant, club, or cafe that didn't have a sound system of its own. If I play a larger venue with its own sound system, I'll often use the Fishman as an onstage monitor and run a line out from it to the board or run a line out of my preamp/DI.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 04-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Yep. An acoustic-amp is, essentially, a miniaturized PA with some guitar effects built into them. Most are designed to work with both instrument line-ins and microphones. For instance, my Fishman Loudbox-Mini has two channels, one for instrument and one for mic. It would be sufficient to play a small restaurant, club, or cafe that didn't have a sound system of its own. If I play a larger venue with its own sound system, I'll often use the Fishman as an onstage monitor and run a line out from it to the board or run a line out of my preamp/DI.
How would you rate your Fishman amp? And thank you for the answer!

Norman B-20
Old 04-03-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Most(?) good acoustic amps are dual channel. I have a Fender acoustasonic with an XLR mic channel input and a guitar input.
How are those Fender acoustasonics?

Norman B-20
Old 04-03-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflink View Post
How would you rate your Fishman amp? And thank you for the answer!
It's very nice, especially for the size and friendly price tag. I've heard larger amps, like the regular Fishman Loudbox or the Fender Acoustasonics that were somewhat better, but this is a great little amp. It sounds good and works well.

As a matter of fact, I played a wedding recently and the violinist and I realized we had the same amp and she said "it just works." That is a good summary, it works well and sounds good in most situations. There are better amps, but for 60-watts at that price, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better value.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 04-03-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
It's very nice, especially for the size and friendly price tag. I've heard larger amps, like the regular Fishman Loudbox or the Fender Acoustasonics that were somewhat better, but this is a great little amp. It sounds good and works well.

As a matter of fact, I played a wedding recently and the violinist and I realized we had the same amp and she said "it just works." That is a good summary, it works well and sounds good in most situations. There are better amps, but for 60-watts at that price, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better value.
It really does look very nice. Think i might take the plunge if it sounds good in person as well. Your help has been much appreciated!

Norman B-20
Old 04-03-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
It really does look very nice. Think i might take the plunge if it sounds good in person as well. Your help has been much appreciated!
If you play cafes, small restaurants, small churches, it should work fine.

I just played a rather large wedding and venue with it and it worked well as a stage monitor and I ran a XLR from it to the board. In hindsight, it would've been better to run my DI/preamp to the board and then just have my amp as my monitor, but it worked fine. The amp is a solid "Swiss Army Knife" of sorts for small venues (and some large) where your set-up requirements are simple.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 04-03-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
If you play cafes, small restaurants, small churches, it should work fine.

I just played a rather large wedding and venue with it and it worked well as a stage monitor and I ran a XLR from it to the board. In hindsight, it would've been better to run my DI/preamp to the board and then just have my amp as my monitor, but it worked fine. The amp is a solid "Swiss Army Knife" of sorts for small venues (and some large) where your set-up requirements are simple.
Just wondering: What would you do if you were to go busking? With the power?

Norman B-20
Old 04-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Hey guys..

Was wondering if it was possible to use the same amp for both microphone and acoustic guitar and still get a good result for a live performance (for busking, preferably, so portability and perhaps even battery use and the ability to plug it to power as well

Thanks in advance
The Fishman SA220, 330X and many other portable systems, other than battery power, are specifically designed for what you describe......
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 04-03-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Just wondering: What would you do if you were to go busking? With the power?
Yeah, you'll need some sort of power source, like a generator or battery. I've never done it, but I'm sure there's some sort of mobile power source you could use.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 04-03-2017, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Carvin Stagemate 600
Old 04-03-2017, 10:30 PM

I have both the Stagemate S600B and a Roland Street Cube EX. For busking I would use the Street Cube EX. It's smaller, lighter, works on the ground angled up, and I have a spare battery pack which would give me a longer play time.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, amp, busking, guitar, mic