The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-20-2015, 11:10 AM

Default Something In The Way She Moves

Hello everyone - newbie here. I've searched but I just can't seem to find any technical info about how JT's Something In The Way She Moves was originally recorded - does anyone know what gear was used for that or where to look? All I can find is a bit about his Gibson guitar but nothing about mics or any other gear - except wikipedia says it was recorded at Trident in London. To me that guitar tone is just epic.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:13 PM

In my experience, it has little to do with the mic or preamp.
99% of his sound comes from how he plays and whatever guitar he's playing.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the reply
Old 01-06-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falex99 View Post
Hello everyone - newbie here. I've searched but I just can't seem to find any technical info about how JT's Something In The Way She Moves was originally recorded - does anyone know what gear was used for that or where to look? All I can find is a bit about his Gibson guitar but nothing about mics or any other gear - except wikipedia says it was recorded at Trident in London. To me that guitar tone is just epic.
James Taylor's debut album with the whacky title "James Taylor" was recorded at Trident Studios in London for the Beatles Applecorp. label in 1968. If you google Applecorp you'll find info about their recording consoles, amps etc. I couldn't find any specific references to what microphones were used on JT's recording sessions but did find the included link to an old Neumann U67 from Trident Studios. This at least provides some clue as to the quality of gear that would have been available to JT for his debut recording which included the song, "Something in the Way She Moves". Is it just me or is there a strange coincidence with the title of this tune and one that turned up on the simultaneously recorded "White Album"?
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...rident-studios
Old 01-06-2016, 03:01 PM

Another link you may or may not have seen but seems relevant to your question.
http://www.philsbook.com/trident.html
Old 01-14-2016, 07:03 PM

Thanks Trevor - really cool info, that mic is just all beat up in the best way! Great article about the studio too
Old 01-14-2016, 07:18 PM

Actually after looking information you posted, I realized that the version of the song that I like so much, especially that guitar tone, was in fact not on that original James Taylor album but on the greatest hits album I've always listen to my whole life. When you referenced the James Taylor album, I just put it on to hear the other tunes, and I was like wait a second that's not the right version. I guess he re-recorded it at some point for the greatest hits album? You wouldn't happen to know where that version was recorded would you? I did a search online, but I can't seem to figure it out
Old 01-15-2016, 09:34 AM

I think your best bet is to get a copy of Timothy White's biography of James Taylor called "Long Ago and Far Away". I haven't read the book but it should be a reliable source of information regarding the details of James Taylor discography. It remains a puzzle to me that so few online sources provide any relevant info re: recording studios and engineers. Then again, pop culture is all about the celebrity status, not the folks who make it possible, IMHO.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:59 AM

You might also consider asking James Taylor about the studio and engineer for the second recorded version of "Something in the Way She Moves" directly via the "Send James an email" button on his website. Here's the link: http://www.jamestaylor.com/discography/greatest-hits/
I, for one, would appreciate an update if you decide to go this route or find a copy of his biography.
Good luck on the quest!
Old 01-15-2016, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Is it just me or is there a strange coincidence with the title of this tune and one that turned up on the simultaneously recorded "White Album"?
I believe George acknowledged he borrowed the line from James, so no accident.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
....Is it just me or is there a strange coincidence with the title of this tune and one that turned up on the simultaneously recorded "White Album"?
What Doug Young said!

And for accuracy's sake George Harrison's "Something" appeared on the Abbey Road album and not the White Album.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 01-16-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
What Doug Young said!

And for accuracy's sake George Harrison's "Something" appeared on the Abbey Road album and not the White Album.
I stand corrected!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
james, mic, recording, studio, taylor