The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Edwinson Zephyr 00 for Healdsburg

I love building guitars on spec. I get to be the art director, designer, and builder, so I get to make the guitar I would want, if I had the money to spend on a custom instrument. Sometimes I think I got into lutherie just so I could have a productive outlet for this obsession. It's like an advanced stage of Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. Except that commissioned builds never hang around long enough for me to really get to know them, or experience that rare pleasure of seeing and hearing a new guitar developing its sound and personality. So when I get a chance to make one on MY dime, it's a real treat.

I'm working long hours lately, hoping to have three new guitars ready for "the Healdsburg" in August. The first one to reach completion of the construction is this "Zephyr Noir". This is my 00-size guitar, in a standard (non-cutaway) version. The woods featured are: Malaysian Blackwood back and sides; a very nice Sinker Redwood top; laminated curly Honduran Mahogany neck; Gabon Ebony fingerboard, bridge, front head plate, and bindings; and a rosette and end graft inlay of Spalted Maple and ebony. Here are some photos of the Zephyr "in the white". I will begin the lacquer finishing this weekend.

Some specs on this guitar: Scale length: 25.5"; thirteen frets-to-body, twenty total; string spread @ saddle, 2 1/4". Fingerboard radius, 16". This guitar will be set up and optimized for fingerstyle playing. The sound box is incredibly responsive, and has a big, lively, sustaining sound when you tap on it.
I built this guitar with double sides. The inners are Honduran Mahogany.
The "Pogoda" style slotted headstock will be fitted with Schertler tuners. The bridge is an "Element" style.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

I decided to use Abalone purfling on the guitar top, fingerboard, and headstock. It's a nice decorative element that is really set off by the dark woods. Also, the fingerboard sports Copper/ Abalone position markers, and some of the same on the back of the headstock and heel cap.

Malaysian Blackwood is a species of Ebony, and will finish out with some dark but vivid contrast. The Sinker top will also darken under finish. That's why I call this a Zephyr "Noir".

The rosette and end grafts are a new series for me. I've seen some other talented builders doing something similar. I have always been intrigued by the idea of "Chaos in Nature", the way pattern and figure occur everywhere in nature, often appearing highly random and chaotic, as in Spalted woods, the figure of abalone shell, and many other forms. I like to take these elements of Chaos, and organize them into rosettes and other inlay.

Thanks for looking, everyone! Now, I need to go get some work done. Healdsburg is just a blink away, in luthier-time!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:59 AM

Beautiful work as always, Steve! Looking forward to seeing all of your "Healdsburg Trio"
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 06-15-2013, 12:02 PM

what a gorgeous guitar!
that's me on guitar
Old 06-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Wow... "cousin Zephyr Noir" here in West Georgia says hello, and welcome to the world, new Edwinson son (or daughter, it's hard to know). BEAUTIFUL work, Steve!

MK
Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 PM

Stunning Steve! Hopefully I'll be able to make it to Healdsburg this year and see this beauty in person...wonder if it'll enjoy Hawaii
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 06-15-2013, 06:57 PM

Gorgeous...love the headstock!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnuuhiwa View Post
Stunning Steve! Hopefully I'll be able to make it to Healdsburg this year and see this beauty in person...wonder if it'll enjoy Hawaii
Aloha, Hen! I hope you do make it over to the Healdsburg this year. The new venue-- the Hyatt Vineyard Creek in Santa Rosa-- is a great place for the show. It's the center of the acoustic guitar universe for three days. If you can make it, you WILL have a really, really good time.
And yes, I'm quite sure this Zephyr would get along quite well in Hawaii.

Joel Stehr will be there too, along with quite a few other people you know.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markkunkel View Post
Wow... "cousin Zephyr Noir" here in West Georgia says hello, and welcome to the world, new Edwinson son (or daughter, it's hard to know). BEAUTIFUL work, Steve!

MK
Hey, Mark!
I'm fairly certain that your Zephyr Noir is a cousin to this new one; they are too different in certain respects to be sisters. Yours is a multiscale cutaway; this one's a standard. Yours is Gabon Ebony with Church Beam redwood, and this new one is Malay Blackwood with Sinker redwood, and there's a lot of variation in the designs. I'm calling all my guitars made with predominantly dark woods "Noir", in the same way that a Cypress/Spruce Flamenco guitar is a "Flamenca Blanca", and a Rosewood/ Cedar Flamenco guitar is called a "Flamenca Negra".

Just to illustrate the amount of variation you can get in one model designation, here are a couple photos of Mark's Zephyr Noir-- the ORIGINAL Zephyr Noir:

I have one set left of this Gabon ebony, which I bought from Michael Gurian in Seattle about three years ago, and it's just wide enough to make another Zephyr Noir.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:32 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnuuhiwa View Post
I heard it's too hot in Hawaii... Here, on the other hand the humidity is just right

This is a such a beautiful guitar, Steve!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Oh man, another (future) example of why the Healdsburg show is so rewarding.
Can't wait to see this beauty!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Oh man, another (future) example of why the Healdsburg show is so rewarding.
Can't wait to see this beauty!

Steve
Hey, Steve! Looking forward to seeing you there too. I think it's going to be a great show again this year. Seeing all these world-class builders, and so many splendid instruments, is both humbling and inspiring to me.
I'll be roving around with my camera whenever I can take a few minutes away from the table, so I'll be sure to look for you and your guitars. See you there!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM

Thumbs up

pure awesomeness.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:19 PM

Very nice... as always.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM

Steve, my friend, this is an exquisite piece of art. Very well done! I look forward to seeing it in August!

Joel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop