The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2021, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Default The guy with the big poll two weeks ago, Eastman AC722 Question AC

Hello all,

I was the guy with the subj poll that included Carne Asada Burritos.

The poll was great. It opened up a lot of insight.

My budget increased to $2,800 for upgrading my Guitarsenal to not 2 but 3.

I ended with Eastman after more than 100 plus hours on the internets doing research.

My Choice is many fold:

I have a Martin all solid Mahogany - GPC 15ME Streetmaster.

My next two:

Eastman AC722CE. This brings me Sitka Top and Rosewood B/S (Dakota with the sound port) ($1,790)
Breedlove Pursuit Exotic with a 12 Fret (which I really wanted) Tiger Eye solid top of Myrtlewood with lovely finish. ($700)

I believe this will round out my Martin desire, A Spruce with Rosewood, and a new Myrtlewood with a 12 fret.

I do not need, desire a Dread. I play in my office, do not want to be too loud and when I get good. Real good, I see more of a hybrid/fingerstyle in my repertoire. I love me some good NY, CSNY, Dave Mathews, etc.

As far a Taylor.

I really did a lot of research. I think this guy Andy Powers, who is a great guitarist, kills it in his demos. I watched and re-watched and then re-re-watched him play and he purposely does stuff to make the guitar and his (yes his) new philosophy of V bracing come off like it is the next best thing to Excedrin. Bob Taylor even stated in an interview that we both played the same guitar and (Bob can play) the folks said that I sounded like crap and the guitar was crap but when Any picked it up they all wanted to get on the "watch list" and pre-order. On other many videos that were not way produced, the whole line sounded very " tin-ey"

Just my opinion.

What I ask if you kindly reply:

1. Do you like the soundhole in the ACXXXX by Eastman? Does it detract?
2. Do you like my idea of diversification in my Guitarsenal?

2020 Martin GPC-15ME Streetmaster

2021 Eastman AC622CE

SOLD - 1995 Larrivee Jumbo (J-19) with lots of custom blingwork, Sitka over EIR

2024 Larrivee OM-3, Moon over Bhilwara

2018 Taylor 712e, 12 Fret Slot Head, Western Burst

2022 Furch Red DSR Stunning!!

Last edited by Teleplucker; 09-15-2021 at 12:02 PM. Reason: poorly veiled sexual reference
Old 09-14-2021, 10:47 PM

To answer your second question first, I think diversification is always good. As for the soundhole, I need to Google an image of the Eastman so I can see what you’re referring to.

whm
Old 09-14-2021, 10:53 PM

I went and looked, but didn’t see anything distinctive about the soundhole. So it’s not a distraction so far as I’m concerned. If I missed something obvious, please post a picture of what you’re talking about.

whm
Old 09-14-2021, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Default This is like the Freaking Cadallac of Guitars....

My question is will the sound hole port break the integrity of the sound?

It has a Comfort Bevel and a Sound Port

Beautiful!

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soundport.JPG (32.8 KB, 91 views)

2020 Martin GPC-15ME Streetmaster

2021 Eastman AC622CE

SOLD - 1995 Larrivee Jumbo (J-19) with lots of custom blingwork, Sitka over EIR

2024 Larrivee OM-3, Moon over Bhilwara

2018 Taylor 712e, 12 Fret Slot Head, Western Burst

2022 Furch Red DSR Stunning!!
Old 09-14-2021, 11:08 PM

No, the sound port won’t degrade the sound - if anything, it’ll improve it, because you’ll be able to hear yourself better and adjust your right hand attack as needed.

whm
Old 09-15-2021, 02:17 AM

I have an older AC722 from before they added the bevel and soundport. It's been a lovely guitar for me for many years. It's super impressive for the (very low!) price I paid for it, and honestly just a great guitar regardless of price.

I'll probably end up selling it soon, but it's taken a much more expensive luthier-built instrument to push it out of the stable. Let me tell you, the extra 5-10% of magic that the luthier-built guitar has over the Eastman sure cost a lot more than 5-10% over the Eastman's price!

While my AC722 doesn't have the soundport or armrest, I do have a classical with both those features for what it's worth, I like 'em. The soundport does seem to give you a little something extra in the playing position, and I haven't been able to detect much of a sacrifice out front.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion