The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* I bought my DeArmond Tone Boss a few months back to replace the M80 I had in my D18 I sold during the shutdown... I love it! It does not have the percussive aspect I liked in the M80, but it still sounds very sweet.
Though passive and has a volume wheel, the Tone Boss has enough power to the signal going direct into my Loudbox Performer and needs no external EQing or preamp, thus no battery! This won't replace my beloved Taks, but I do enjoy the punchiness of this pickup on the top end and fingerstyle sounds lovely on it too. So that's my take on this lil' mag and if you run it through a FERE, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

* Here's a lil' vid I recorded at a gig to see for myself how it sounded live. I think it needs some top end tweaking or maybe it's just my iPhone 11 because that's all I used to record with. My D18 has Ernie Ball 80/20 mediums and both guitar and vox are direct to my Loudbox Performer with a touch of the amp's onboard delay. Not great, but usable for some gigs.

I don’t mean to threadjack here (hi Sal by the way!!), but that is a GREAT sound you have there with the Tone Boss, Noledog. I’ve got one of my Sunrises in my little Sigma Cf-100 copy but it’s a bit too heavy and bulky a pickup for such a small and lightly built guitar, as much as I adore the Sunrise. Inspired by your tone and playing, I’m going to put a Tone Boss in it!
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
I don’t mean to threadjack here (hi Sal by the way!!), but that is a GREAT sound you have there with the Tone Boss, Noledog. I’ve got one of my Sunrises in my little Sigma Cf-100 copy but it’s a bit too heavy and bulky a pickup for such a small and lightly built guitar, as much as I adore the Sunrise. Inspired by your tone and playing, I’m going to put a Tone Boss in it!
Thank you Jinder for the kind words! ...the Sunrise is a tone beast, but I do look forward hearing you thoughts after trying out the Tone Boss in your Sigma. The TB is very light weight too. Keep us posted!
Old 06-10-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Thank you Jinder for the kind words! ...the Sunrise is a tone beast, but I do look forward hearing you thoughts after trying out the Tone Boss in your Sigma. The TB is very light weight too. Keep us posted!
Hi noledog, are you still enjoying the Tone Boss? I'm looking for another passive pickup and thought I might give it a try. I use a Black Angel, a Black Stack and an M80 (in passive mode) on my other guitars but quite fancied giving the Tone Boss a try out.

thanks,

cam
Custom-made Slothead 000-28
Tele
Strat

My music here: https://open.spotify.com/album/6t6Np...QpyroLrwiVSclQ
And here: https://borrowedbooks.bandcamp.com/
Old 06-13-2021, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacf View Post
Hi noledog, are you still enjoying the Tone Boss? I'm looking for another passive pickup and thought I might give it a try. I use a Black Angel, a Black Stack and an M80 (in passive mode) on my other guitars but quite fancied giving the Tone Boss a try out.

thanks,

cam
Hi Cam,

Yes I’m really enjoying the Tone Boss very much! Even tho my Tak’s are my main gigging workhorses, there are certain venues and applications that I prefer my D-18 with the Tone Boss. Plus I don’t even have to do much, if any, different eqing on my amp except raise the gain a bit. Sweet lil’ mag for sure!
Let us know your thoughts if you try one! 😁

eric
Old 06-14-2021, 06:01 AM

Cheers Noledog,

I’m definitely looking to pull the trigger if I can find a UK dealer with one in stock. Thanks for the reassurance. 🙂

Quote:
Hi Cam,

Yes I’m really enjoying the Tone Boss very much! Even tho my Tak’s are my main gigging workhorses, there are certain venues and applications that I prefer my D-18 with the Tone Boss. Plus I don’t even have to do much, if any, different eqing on my amp except raise the gain a bit. Sweet lil’ mag for sure!
Let us know your thoughts if you try one! 😁

eric
Custom-made Slothead 000-28
Tele
Strat

My music here: https://open.spotify.com/album/6t6Np...QpyroLrwiVSclQ
And here: https://borrowedbooks.bandcamp.com/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification