The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-16-2019, 06:04 AM

Default Fishman Mini failure

My duo plays out twice a week. We both use Fishman Mini's, wired into powered speakers. It sounds great, we like the Fishman Mini's tone, portability, and affordability, and customer service is always very good.
We are gentle with our amps and guitars. Last night, we had a Fishman Mini fail during the gig. This is the 4th time (in over 600 gigs). In most cases, it is the xlr connection in front (we run Taylor ES-1 systems balanced).
I just get the idea that these amps aren't meant to be gigged hard.

In terms of rugged, dependable amps, any suggestions? I had an AER alpha for a while, I liked it but it sounded a little sterile to my ear. Or maybe I just liked the Fishman perceived warmth. The AER 60/4 or even Tommy Emmanuel is on my radar, thinking that might sound warmer. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Hi, DD. I had a Fishman LB Mini crap out. Same issue: the XLR input quit working. A flat fee $50 to send just the power unit in for repair. It took just over twice as long as they said it would before they completed the repair.

In the meantime, I used a Bose S1 Pro in its place. (I like to run guitar and mic into the amp and then a direct line from that to a Bose L1C.) No going back to the LB Mini after that.

It went 5 years before the LB Mini quit; so decent service from that. The S1 didn't exist when I bought the Mini.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:56 AM

I don't think their failure rate is atypical of prosumer grade equipment. To hit their price point and given 99% of them are never gigged, this is just how it is going to be. Take a look at the 9v battery box on your guitar sometime for an obvious confirmation of price over longevity.

For the number of gigs you are doing (I gig roughly 2-3 times a month...it is a hobby for me) and as you mention in the other thread, QSC's higher line (not my CP8), is the way to go.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-17-2019, 05:46 AM

Thanks Captain Jim and John,

We have twice taken advantage of the 50.00 repair charge (plus shipping) through Fishman. Which is reasonable, but we don't (obvisouly) want these amps going down in the first place.

They do sound good though, portable and affordable.

Yes, the QSC K8 we've got is just a tank, and sounds good. Worth every penny.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:55 AM

I have had a Fishman Loudbox Performer fail and a Fishman SA220 fail. These were both gently used and had less than a dozen gigs on them each. They were kept in proper conditions as well. I don’t have a lot of faith in Fishman amps after those both failed. My Loudbox Artist was fine and never had a problem but I sold it to go to the BOSE S1s.

When the original BOSE L1 B1 came out, I bought it and used it extensively. It too failed and I had to send it back for repairs at a fixed cost. I am hoping there will be no problems with the S1s. I have 2 of them just in case...

On the other hand, my AER 60/3 is rock solid and never a problem.

Davidc
Old 11-19-2019, 04:57 PM

When I look at Bose gear I see prosumer. It is not in the quality class of a higher line like QSC's K series.

I've got Bose 700 headphones, a Bose Soundlink Revolve+ Bluetooth speaker, and a Bose Solo 5 soundbar. I am a Bose fan, but I don't find the physical design of their prosound equipment impressive. I think it is fine for the more occasional performer or someone who takes excellent care of their equipment.

Jon Fields
Old 11-19-2019, 05:20 PM

Jon I'll second that about the QSC K series. We use the K8, always have, same one. Great, great sound/dependability, and price reasonable.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:21 AM

I bought a Loudbox Mini in about 2012. I absolutely hammered on it. I've done a few hundred gigs with it, winter, summer, rain, snow. I didn't abuse it by any measure, but I didn't caress it either. When the amp covering started to wear and flake I stopped using the amp cover that came with it. Into the back of the Jeep it would go, along with all the other gear.

About a year ago it started humming (it must have forgotten the words ). I contacted Fishman, shipped it back and paid the $50 bench fee. They sent me back a brand new "demo/refurb" unit. I've been hammering this one pretty hard ever since with no issues.

I think these are probably no better or no worse than comparable offerings from other manufacturers. And whenever I read about someone's bad experience with a piece of gear on one of these forums, I have to assume that there are a LOT more people out there hammering on the gear every weekend and they're not posting in forums.

All that said, we also have and use QSC K10s and CP8s, scaling up or down depending on the gig. The QSC stuff is great, and everyone I know who uses it would say the same.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:47 AM

The typical failure rate "bathtub curve" (infant mortality followed by relative stability followed by increased failure rate) is the most memorable part of the statistics used in manufacturing. The mid term failure rate is statistical and you can get lucky (or unlucky). Even the best products will have some failures which a forum like this is good at bringing out.

That said, Bose and Fishman failure stories are fairly common on the AGF and that might reflect higher market share, but to look at them I think the answer is simpler and they've been designed to hit a lower price point.

For example my CP8 has passive cooling. So far so good for me, including one sunny gig with no cover, but I would buy the actively cooled K8.2 if I was gigging more often (given there are other corners likely not cut in the K series).

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification