The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-20-2021, 09:32 PM

Default Vintage style OM (Brazilian rosewood/german spruce top)

Hi guys, I hope to find you healthy. I really love this forum and the environment here, but I never took some time to create an account, inspired by some topics about handmade / custom guitars that I saw here, I decided to create an account and share with you my next and first luthier guitar. It's an OM model, bear claw German spruce top (which I still don't have pictures of because the builder is selecting his best piece of wood for my guitar), old growth Brazilian rosewood back and sides, here in BraSil (sorry, but as a Brazilian I really can't write Brasil with 'z') it is easy to find good pieces of OG BRW (we call jacarandá da bahia premium) and I chose the figured one instead of the straight grain, just because I wanted to . Brazilian mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard and bridge.

When I receive the photos of the top I will post here too.

Here is a picture of the beauty:

The figure isn't a problem, the piece is stable, stiff enough and the knots are stable.

That's it for now folks, thanks
Edit: sorry for eventual misspelling, I just haven't graduated on English yet

Last edited by BrazGuy; 04-19-2021 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:57 AM

Welcome to the forum BrazGuy and thanks for starting a new build thread.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Welcome, BG... glad to have you. We've been waiting for you to finally join...
Old 03-21-2021, 08:21 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yep...

Glad to have you aboard! Your English is certainly better than my Portuguese.

Have fun with the beautiful new build, and stay healthy!!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-22-2021, 04:19 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats on the build and joining the forum! Good to see you are posting a thread. Builds are fun for everyone!
Old 03-23-2021, 03:03 PM

Smile rosette

Okay, we decided to go for something between a Martin 42 and 28 style, which means abalone rosette . Do you know anything about the dimensions of the abalone in those rosettes? I just need the width of the abalone and stipes that go in the central ring, the inner and outer ring we know the measurements.

Ps: I know that abalone rosette doesn't mean anything between 42 and 28 series, so I would say that I want a custom guitar: D
Old 04-03-2021, 04:25 PM

Default The soundboard

Yeaaaah! Just to update, now we have the soundboard selected. And I'm in love with this, the luthier said that's his best set of bearclaw german, deep sound and ringing as a church bell. I really love this pieces of wood that show some woodish pattern, like dark/red or pink grains and stuff, so for my taste... yummy

Last edited by BrazGuy; 07-30-2021 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazGuy View Post
Okay, we decided to go for something between a Martin 42 and 28 style, which means abalone rosette . Do you know anything about the dimensions of the abalone in those rosettes? I just need the width of the abalone and stipes that go in the central ring, the inner and outer ring we know the measurements.

Ps: I know that abalone rosette doesn't mean anything between 42 and 28 series, so I would say that I want a custom guitar: D
And about this!!! Gabriel (the builder) isn't sure about the measures that Martin used in the past. But it has its own measurements depending on the body size. The following measures are define as follows: first number are the rosette width and the second are for the guitar top and fingerboard extension.

Small body guitars(0/00): 1.6mm (0.62") / 2.0mm (0.78")

Medium body guitars (OM/000): 2.5mm (0.78") / 3.0mm (0.12")

Big body guitars (D/J): 3.0mm (0.12") / 3.5mm (0.14")

The builder likes to use abalone rosette when using abalone purfling, but I don't like the full abalone inlays on the face of the guitar, so it's going to be herringbone top purfling, and to match things I asked for 3.0mm abalone ring (the herringbone are 3.5mm wide). So we going to have a 5mm center ring (pear plus violin combo) and standard outer and inner ring.

Cordeiro OM (bear claw german/brw)
Rosa Dreadnought (adi/brw)
Old 06-07-2021, 07:17 PM

Box is almost closed. I don't know how to build guitars and the difference between top first or back first, usually are top first, if that doesn't affect the tone I'm ok, the luthier said that he put back first to have some "tap tone" of the box and know how much the back are reflective or responsive, and put that results on proper scale, I don't know if that's make sense or are something that someone might consider, but I don't really care, just want that the guitar playing and sounding great, the top are voiced with his own method that I wouldn't be able to explain.

The important thing is, photos, so here they are:

Last edited by BrazGuy; 07-30-2021 at 05:09 PM. Reason: now we have pictures
Old 06-08-2021, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Moving quickly, companheiro. Parabens pela viola, Braz / German eh um combo incrivel.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:44 AM
Custom Guitars

Looks like a great build. The progress shots are impressive. Can't wait to see the finished product!!!
Old 06-09-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Moving quickly, companheiro. Parabens pela viola, Braz / German eh um combo incrivel.
Yeah! I probably will receive the guitar at end of the year! The neck shape takes a couple of days, but the wood need at least a month of rest to be stabilized before shaping after first cut, and the bindings, inlays, frets bridge etc... it's a long journey

I'm getting anxious for the DAY
Old 06-09-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Guitars View Post
Looks like a great build. The progress shots are impressive. Can't wait to see the finished product!!!
Me too!! Thanks
Old 06-11-2021, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazGuy View Post
Yeah! I probably will receive the guitar at end of the year! The neck shape takes a couple of days, but the wood need at least a month of rest to be stabilized before shaping after first cut, and the bindings, inlays, frets bridge etc... it's a long journey

I'm getting anxious for the DAY
It's a delightful sort of pain, the waiting. I think it must be the adult equivalent of Christmas Eve for children. We all understand what you're going through

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
acoustic guitar, brazilian builder, brazilian rosewood, german bearclaw, om guitar