The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 11:47 PM

Default J-45 without bridge dots???

We were discussing this in another forum, and the question came up about which J-45s do NOT have the pearl dots on the bridge. Mine, a 1942 J-45 Legend from CME, does not, but I'm curious about others.

Here's mine. Let me know if this picture doesn't show up.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:03 AM

certainly the vast majority do. Have a look at www.gibson.com. Al the modern and original/histoic models have bridge dots.

BUT Gibson change specs like they're going out of fashion, often without telling anyone, and in the case of Gibsons from long ago, there aren't even records on gibsons side a lot of the time.

So yes, J45's generally have bridge dots. Including the 1942 J-45 Legend. Does that make yours a fake? No. It's just unusual, at least in the context of what Gibson currently makes.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:05 AM

So are you asking whether some production runs or limited editions come without bridge pin dots as a deliberate feature? Knowing Gibson I’d say probably, though I couldn’t tell you which ones.

whm
Old 04-21-2021, 12:27 AM

Wade, just to be clear we're not taking dots on bridge pins; we're talking the dot inlays either side of the bridge pins.

That may be exactly what you meant, and "bridge pin dots" may be exactly what they're called, but in my ignorance, it would think of "bridge pin dots" as referring to dots on bridge pins

Either way your assessment is correct. Hell, with Gibson they might have just forgotten and the OP has a unique one

EDIT: Actually, here's another without dots: https://www.themusiczoo.com/products...-sunburst-2018

So they didn't forget -- it's just a random spec change. They've changed back now. For now.

Last edited by RalphH; 04-21-2021 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post

EDIT: Actually, here's another without dots: https://www.themusiczoo.com/products...-sunburst-2018

So they didn't forget -- it's just a random spec change. They've changed back now. For now.
Yeah, it looks like the CME run of the 1942 J-45 Legend omits the dots. The one you linked to here is a CME one to my knowledge.The Japanese market 1942 J-45 Legends all appear to have them.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:43 AM

My J-45 1942 banner reissue (John Thomas) does not have the dots, I’m pretty sure none of them do.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 04-21-2021, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
My J-45 1942 banner reissue (John Thomas) does not have the dots, I’m pretty sure none of them do.
The guys over at the gibson forum said pretty much all the original banners have the dots to cover up the bolt holes for lining the bridge up. But, one guy did mention thinking some really early ones didn't have it.

Do you have any pics of your reissue? I'd love to see it!!!

Last edited by Mr.Woody; 04-21-2021 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:17 AM

The guys at the Gibson forum are talking nonsence if they're saying that's how Gibson currently does it.

They may have done that in the 40's, but assuming your guitar is a reissue, not actually from the 40's....? Gibson now lines up the bridges using the two E string bridge pin holes - including VOS reissues.

As for claiming Gibson always/never did xyz as far back as the 40's. That's very, very brave statement. They messed about with all sorts of things. Unless you actually worked there during that time period and never took a vacation or sick day, I think you'd be well over your skis to start talking about what Gibson always or never did back then

EDIT: I've just looked inside at my hummingbird to double check (customshop 1960 reissue), and I can confirm there are no holes through to the inside under those dots; they are purely cosmetic.

Last edited by RalphH; 04-21-2021 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:03 AM

Yeah, not insinuating that that is how things are done now. They said that, since moving to bozeman, they aren't done that way anymore, and the dots nowadays are usually purely cosmetic.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

My Country Western has dots. What do you dotless people's bridge plates
look like?

-Mike
Old 04-21-2021, 05:29 AM

Like this

Old 04-21-2021, 05:30 AM

Also the bridges on most 45's are a bit chunkier than the one on Mr. Woody's pic's, it seems slimmer to me than the one on mine. I have an all Hog 45 from 2018 and the bridge has the dots, but they are purely cosmetic, and i always wondered why Gibson put the dots on when there are no bolts through to the plate, it does seem like work that doesn't need to be done, not that i care at all really, i love the guitar and that's all that matters to me.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
Yeah, not insinuating that that is how things are done now. They said that, since moving to bozeman, they aren't done that way anymore, and the dots nowadays are usually purely cosmetic.
ok, cool. You never know with these crazy people discussing guitars on the internet
Old 04-21-2021, 08:28 AM

Default J-45 without bridge dots???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
The guys over at the gibson forum said pretty much all the original banners have the dots to cover up the bolt holes for lining the bridge up. But, one guy did mention thinking some really early ones didn't have it.

Do you have any pics of your reissue? I'd love to see it!!!

Don’t have any to hand but it’s the same as this used one:

https://www.atbguitars.com/store/pro...45-2013bangib/
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion