The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-03-2020, 10:01 AM

Default Hello again

Been a long time since I have posted on this forum. Looking for some much needed advice.

Recently, I purchased a Martin Custom X Series 12 string guitar (Made in Mexico), HPL sides and back. Paid $150.00 at an estate sale. That included a hard shell case. It plays great and has a really great sound.

Before I had purchased the guitar, I noticed it had a very small, hair line crack in the top, running from the bottom of the bridge to the heel. This crack is just about 1/16-1/8 inch from the glue edge of the two matched top pieces. In other words, basically in the center of the top.

This crack is barely visible. I believe the crack is due to the dehydration of the wood. Consequently, I hydrated by placing moisture inside the sound hole. This closes up the crack, temporarily. After about 24 hours, the crack reappears. Obviously, the wood does move.

So, here is my question. Do I try to repair the crack by installing several "cleats" on the inside now or just live with this condition and continue to simply monitor the crack over a period of time before trying to repair it. As I indicated, the crack is barely visible. It is so small, I do not think that glue could be forced into the crack.

On another note, (no pun intended), I am wishing you and your families all the best in our time of national crisis concerning this virus pandemic. Play safe.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:08 PM

Anyone home???????????
Old 04-04-2020, 03:14 PM

Do you maintain the humidity of the instrument at an appropriate level?

If not it’ll just crack again after the repair.

Work glue into the crack, cleat on the inside.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Do you maintain the humidity of the instrument at an appropriate level?

If not it’ll just crack again after the repair.

Work glue into the crack, cleat on the inside.
The crack is very thin. What glue do you recommend? Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair