The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Martin HD-28V or Santa Cruz D/PW or Collings D2H
Martin HD-28V 22 27.16%
Santa Cruz D/PW 32 39.51%
Collings D2H 27 33.33%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 PM

I like this poll - because that is definitely my 3 most loved dread
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 04-08-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
I like this poll - because that is definitely my 3 most loved dread
For sure!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:58 PM

Thanks for all the information and advice!!
Old 06-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

All great guitars...I would vote for the SC or Collings D2H...and, I might consider the D2H Traditional...The last, while not on your list, might give you a cross between the SC and D2H.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:41 PM

Default Martin HD-28V or Santa Cruz D/PW or Collings D2H

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
The HD-28v was probably Martin's most consistently good sounding dread. Nice aesthetics too, great overall vintage Martin tone if a bit dark (most Martins are), but it only comes in a 1 11/16 nut mod-v neck and 2 1/8" string spacing. This is a deal breaker for many.

The D/PW and D2H come with medium thickness soft-v profile necks (less noticeable v than on the HD-28v) and are available with the 1 3/4 nut width and a variety of string spacings (2 3/16" is standard).

I own a 2012 D/PW in Sitka over EIR. It has the 1 3/4 nut along with the Adi bracing + Hide glue options. Just an incredible guitar. It has about 80 - 85% of the volume of a typical Martin dread, but the playability, resonance, harmonic complexity, and overall quality of tone are exceptional. It's also feather light (as most Santa Cruzes are), and plays great with Light strings.

The Santa Cruz tone is vintage voiced with an enhanced midrange and tons of harmonic complexity and nuance. Think 70% Martin + 30% Gibson.

The Collings D2H is the loudest of the 3 guitars you're asking about, with a tight quick bass, a "hot" midrange, and in-your-face all the time piano-like clarity. Not a warm sounding guitar. Also very unforgiving of sloppy play or fingering due to the volume and clarity. Plays like a coiled spring and is an awesome flatpicking guitar with tons of cut. You will be heard easily (so play cleanly!).

This is an EXCELLENT description that I agree with completely. I might add that I think the SC neck is one of my favorites.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:27 AM

Thanks for all the votes and recommendations
Old 07-16-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrySu View Post
Thanks for all the votes and recommendations
Not sure how conclusive the poll is. I just checked and its Santa Cruz by a 'hair', ...which is hardly a landslide. I think what this indicates is they are all great. It comes down to personal choice. and there are really no 'bad' decisions.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-16-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Not sure how conclusive the poll is. I just checked and its Santa Cruz by a 'hair', ...which is hardly a landslide. I think what this indicates is they are all great. It comes down to personal choice. and there are really no 'bad' decisions.
I would agree.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-16-2019, 08:50 AM

[QUOTE=zmf;6028917]No, no, no. Don't listen to these people. They're all wrong.

You need to put a Bourgeois on your list. Nobody knew how to build with rosewood until Dana came along.

zmf...

I DO hope you are saying this "tongue in cheek" and don't really mean it.

Lotsa builders way before Dana knew how to build with rosewood...including CMF#1 way back in 1833.

Dana's great but, he's just one of many...like Mr. Hoover at SCGC

For what it's worth, if you Mr. OP, like the 1 11/16 nut width and neck shape of the HD28V, I would recommend it, I voted for it.

They have a very warm, slightly dark, but sweet and musical tone. They are one of the very best models that Martin has ever produced. I am especially fond of the 1999 to 2001 year models as Martin had some really tremendous Sitka Spruce that was super well silked and turned this glorious amber honey color as it aged...just stunning looking spruce, and really gorgeous true Old Growth Indian Rosewood that they were using at that time.

If you can handle...or like...the nut width and neck shape...the HD28V is a superb guitar.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 07-20-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Thanks a lot!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, comparison, dreadnaught, martin, santa cruz